Newbie owner rescued a 5yo from a shelter

Hello there!

I came here searching for some advice regarding my new Husky.

This male husky was rescued by Lisbon city shelter and I adopted him yesterday. He was left there for 90 days, well fed but without any exercise.

I was looking to adopt a new pet, and when you are looking to adopt, there are no many options. Yet, I required an intelligent dog with character that could learn, without too much hair (as the retriever).

I do have previous experience with Saint Bernard, Labrador, Retriever and Rottweiller. None with Huskies but the more I learn about them, the more I am happy for having found him :) .

IMG_3743_a.JPG

Greetings to you all from Portugal!!!

Leonel

What a gorgeous boy!!!! Kudos to you for helping out a rescue i hope he settles in and becomes a family member for life;)

Huskies shed heavily 1-2 times a year, they have a double coat with a thick, soft undercoat...and guess where that goes in the summer lol You'll get hair everywhere, when my mum was cleaning th cooker out yesterday she said there were dog hairs in there...yewwww They get in your food, on your carpet, clothes..EVERYWHERE LOL

They are super intelligent but almost in an opposite to the breeds you have owned...sibes are soo intelligent they know they can out-run you in the park..which makes recall a tricky one to teach, they know who they can take the complete piss with..so if you dont lay the rules down now and adopt an alpha role he may just walk all over you.

Saying this with proper training i think everyone on here will agree they are pleasure to own and one of the best breeds out there:D

THank you all for the warm welcoming :)

Have you thought of a name for him yet?

I should name him:

houdini,

run-like-there's-no-tomorrow,

fence-chewer,

highway-express...

this in only 4 days 24/24 boot camp. As for military techniques, sorry dudes but I have graduated a regular Infantry Sargent, this guy has Secret Agent stealth escape techniques, but that is all just regular joke regarding newbies for you guys :). I knew had it coming, so boot camp is on the countryside. I thought I was prepared for it, so I got over confident. BAD IDEA...

Well, back to the name issue, I am working on that with my girlfriend. He answers well to the Portuguese word "aqui"( when we call "here"). Trying to get a name that ends similarly sound.

So after some research I ended with

a) "Eskie" (the word fromwhich Husky derives from) or

b)"pukiq" (means "smart" in Inupiaq, and is one of of the dog names the Inupiaq use.)

www.uaf.edu/anlc/dognames.html

I gotta go a search the forum for a good book...

.so if you dont lay the rules down now and adopt an alpha role he may just walk all over you.

Well, having two walks a day above 3 km (2mile), since day two he stopped pulling the short lead and stays in his submissive heel position and learned who is the leader of the pack. Difficult for him to learn to give way on doors, etc etc. Its 4 days training. He is 5yo...

Walking on wineyards in the dirt certainly teached him to stop pushing. He even walks behind the leader without the leash. I was pretty convinced that if he is enough tired, he cannot run away. And I am still convinced right. Today I did not wear him out too much (I am getting tired too!!).

I should train him just like horses, using a long line in circles to wear him out, lol

Day 3: Visiting the city at the twilight

IMG_3778_a_25.jpg

Day 4: Nap after morning jog

IMG_3807_a_50jpg.jpg

Well, you've certainly done your research & know exactly what to expect with him! Sounds like you're doing something right if he's picking things up from you in 4 days, you have connected well with him & are earning his respect!

By the way - I like the name Eskie & where it comes from :grinning-smiley-003

Well, you've certainly done your research & know exactly what to expect with him! Sounds like you're doing something right if he's picking things up from you in 4 days, you have connected well with him & are earning his respect!

By the way - I like the name Eskie & where it comes from :grinning-smiley-003

:) thanks guys

Eskie has gained my preference too. Its official as from this morning :).

Day 5: Boot camp at the vineyard, zero pulling, yay!

IMG_3848_a_50.jpg

I should name him:

houdini,

run-like-there's-no-tomorrow,

fence-chewer,

highway-express...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this in only 4 days 24/24 boot camp. As for military techniques, sorry dudes but I have graduated a regular Infantry Sargent, this guy has Secret Agent stealth escape techniques, but that is all just regular joke regarding newbies for you guys :). I knew had it coming, so boot camp is on the countryside. I thought I was prepared for it, so I got over confident. BAD IDEA...

Well, back to the name issue, I am working on that with my girlfriend. He answers well to the Portuguese word "aqui"( when we call "here"). Trying to get a name that ends similarly sound.

So after some research I ended with

a) "Eskie" (the word fromwhich Husky derives from) or

b)"pukiq" (means "smart" in Inupiaq, and is one of of the dog names the Inupiaq use.)

www.uaf.edu/anlc/dognames.html

I gotta go a search the forum for a good book...

Pukiq sounds like a good husky name :grinning-smiley-003

Eskie is also cool too :D

The best husky book Ive ever bought was "Siberian Huskies for Dummies" absolutely full of great information :) highly recommend it to anyone

Week 2

Took Eskie to the vet, he lost 0,5 Kg, (1Pd). Imagine, he told me to cut on the long walks, that I was wearing the dog out?! He certainly does not know a husky and I am sure Eskie would disagree with him. So since I was cutting down his food, I am giving him full ration and extra raw meat now.

Anyway, I need to measure his height to use that formula that determines his ideal weight.

Ah, good that they suggested a foam for dry washing Eskie . The nasty smell disappeared while the quarantine lasts.

People are telling me Eskie might be only 3 or 4yo. Which would be nice :) Time will tell as I get to know other fellow husky owners locally.

On the weekend, Eskie got more friendly with the cat, which was nice. The cat is confusing the Eskie's obedience to me with being afraid of his claws...Since you guys enjoy the pics, here is another

IMG_3885a_025.jpg

What a waste, a walking snack, yummie...

Perhaps I should not be using this introduction as a journal by now, and move this somewhere else? Suggestions appreciated. :D