Hi everyone

My name is Kimberley, I'm Canadian and I have a Siberian Husky that was being trained as my guide/service dog. Her name is Keisha and she is almost two and is really smart. Unfortunately she started having seizures last Feb. and was diagnosed with epilepsy. This meant she will no longer be able to work as my guide/service dog, but I am keeping her as a pet and she can still help with things around the house. I was training her to take over the work of my semi-retired guide dog Sophie (a yellow lab.).

In Sept. I am getting my second Siberian Husky named Duke. He is the same age as Keisha and shows all the potential as a great guide/service dog candidate. My boyfriend (a dog trainer for over 13yrs) is currently working with him in the UK and will fly here (to Canada) with him. He is a really fast learner and I can't wait to start working with him! He is the dog in my avatar picture.

I got a lot of backlash from people who own Siberian Huskies when I started Keisha's training telling me it would never work and quite a few people got pretty mean about it so I haven't been around forums or groups much, but I feel a lot better about it now that I know it is possible and I can prove it to them when they start telling me different.

I guess this post turned into a bit of an introduction. I hope everyone and your Huskies are all doing well!

Hi Kimberley, welcome to the Pack :D

Good on you for getting a sibe to work for you!! They are meant for pulling sleds but who says they can't work as a guide dog??? I say fair play to you and good luck - sibes are harder to train but by no means impossible!!

Bet you can't wait to get Duke :)

Welcome to the forum!

So are you training your dog to be a seeing-eye dog, or is he like an assistance dog that will assist you with a different disability? Sorry if these questions are too personal, it is a really interesting subject! :)

Hi welcome to the forum! duke looks gorgeous! cnt w8 2 c some more pics ov him and ur others too ;) like sarah says well done for gettin a sibe 2 wrk for u! those who gave u backlash have obviously no clue that sibes CAN b trained it just takes patience :) hope u enjoy it here b warned tho its very addictive :)

Welcome to the forum. Quite interesting to see a sibe being trained as a service dog as they wouldnt usually be the dog of choice for this kind of work. Very much look forward to seeing your insight into sibe training :)

Hi. Welcome to the forum, I think its fantastic that a sibe is going to help you in this way. They can be trained, I've always found mine very obedient - just not at the off lead stuff:D Please keep us updated with how its going. I can see that they'd be very good at this, as they have a mind of their own and can make decisions sometimes that we wouldn't - which obviously good sled dogs have to make when they're out running, so I'm fascinated by this. I've never thought that sibes are untrainable, just that they think a bit differently to other dogs.

Hiya, Kimberley, welcome on board. sounds like you have quite a little pack forming there! I too think it's fascinating a sibe was chosen as a guide / service dog - at the end of the day, they need to be doing "something" or they get bored & destroy stuff(!) so to have them work in this way should, in theory, be really good for them! Good luck with Duke when he arrives - and don't forget your pics & updates!! xx

Hello Kimberly and family welcome to the pack :)

Sorry to hear about Keisha's epilepsy but Im glad you are still keping her even though she can'y be your service dog she can still be a great comfort to you and a great phsychological booster when your feeling low :) Love the name Keisha, beautiful :)

Duke sounds fantstic! He looks very handsome in your avatar aswell :D By the sounds of it he is progressing really well :)

I got a lot of backlash from people who own Siberian Huskies when I started Keisha's training telling me it would never work and quite a few people got pretty mean about it so I haven't been around forums or groups much, but I feel a lot better about it now that I know it is possible and I can prove it to them when they start telling me different.

Alot of people think that because a husky can take longer to train that it is impossible to train them. I will be honest I thought that at first and soon learnt that when you stick to it - you CAN get the results you want from your husky :) I can see how it must have put you off joining forums (no one deserves to join a social community and get put down all the time)! I think its great that you have a sibe as a service dog and can't wait to hear your stories about what they can do for you and possible see some videos of them in action and pics :D

Hope you enjoy the site and Im sure that you will make many friends here :D

Hey ya,:wave:

A very big welcome to ya!! Well done on you for training your Sibe :D This site is Great and im sure you will make loads of friends on here!! Really look forward to getting to know you and seeing loads of pics.

Keep us posted on how the Training is going x x x x

Hi Kim and welcome i've found this a great site full of people more than willing to help and give advice, very friendly people here.

I must say welldone to you for picking a sib, as others on here i cant wait to hear how you get on and see pic's of duke in action it's very interesting, i take my Odin to work in a nursing home he's been going since he was a pup they have watched him grow and love his visits good luck to you in your future training keep us updated please.

Linda x

Kimberley - Welcome. It's always nice to see a new member post. Too bad about Keisha. You know, she may be a great asset with Duke coming on board. Please post pics when you have a chance. If you have any questions on Huskies there are a lot of very friendly folks here. - Dave

Welcome Kimberly, Keisha, and Duke. We're all interested in learning how this works. Of course we all believe our Sibes to be capable of doing this type of work - we're very curious to see how it turns out and look forward to Duke showing the world that Huskies CAN!

I'm sorry that you got this kind of response ^^^^ Not everyone believes in our huskies. Here, we tend to give them all the credit they deserve. I wish all the best to you in this and look forward to your proving them wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kimberly, Keisha, and Duke,

Welcome to HO,you will find everyon on this board supportive and helpful,shame on those who were rude to you elsewhere !

I distinctly remember a "Breed All About It " tv programme on Siberian Huskies in 2002/3,where one was trained to be a Fire Search and Rescue dog,the first shot of her was in a sling being winched up a 4 story building on a training exercise...

Sibes are amazing & intelligent creatures,why shouldn't they be service dogs ?

I look forward to hearing all about your forthcoming adventures - Good On You :).

Warm Regards from Hampshire UK,

Kevin & The Girls:bullseye:

Welcome!! I am so excited to hear about your two!!! I am sure they are hard workers for your affection like mine. She doesn't care for treats but a good scratch she will do anything for!! Well most anything hahah.

I also have a lab and when we are out and about everyone pets the husky and the poor lab doesn't get any...but...they are both wonderful dogs. Just be ready for people to stop you all the time when you are out!! And I am sure they will share you love of your pet and service dog. The dog will know how important it is!!!

Cheers!!!

Brandy, Dave, Molly and Stoli

well i am new to this board also , but they seem like a lovely bunch of people.

what a lovely choice as a service dog, and well done for the training also.

it is possible to train them, saskia comes back on command, but then she did lead a sheltered life before we took her in.

where in canada are you from? although i live in the uk i was born in canada (scarborough ontario)

and some of my family live in nova scotia(lunenburg)

i am seriously considering moving back.

"I got a lot of backlash from people who own Siberian Huskies when I started Keisha's training telling me it would never work and quite a few people got pretty mean about it"

why do people have to do this? i get a lot of comments about micha and saskia being off of the lead, telling me i am irresponsible etc etc.

let us know how it goes with your 2