What is your choice of dog food and why??

I feed my boys on BARF too :) as we are camping soon though its going to be difficult to keep 4 days of raw meat, etc fresh so we are going to start introducing dry food back into the diet at the end of this week start of next week so we can bring a bag of dry food with us which will keep and bring a few bones with us or will buy them some fresh bones while we are there.

Not sure which dry food we are going to get yet. We fed Wainwrights before we went to BARF so that will probably be what we buy them this time but not 100% sure yet as last time the liked it at first but then went off it!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Much thanks for the dog food analysis site link -- I found it very helpful. A few months ago, I must've read every label in the natural foods aisle and left feeling ... confused. TOTW is available at the local shop. I have a question about it, though, that I'll post to the Golden Oldies group -- I don't want to hijack this thread!

Dave, I just picked some up. I read that I should slowly make the change, but the people at the store, who were very knowledgeable and friendly, said that I shouldn't have to based on what I'm feeding her now. (Pro Plan chicken and rice) Your thoughts?

When we transitioned Zoya, we used 3 parts current food to 1 part new food for two days. Then 1/2 and 1/2 for two days, followed by 1 part current food to 3 parts new food for two days. Then on the seventh day it was all new food. Since switching to TOTW, we now alternate between the High Prairie and the Wetlands without any transition. We have not gone with the Pacific Stream. The reason is because fish that is not destined for human consumption, by Federal Law (in the US), requires a chemical treatement to stabilize the flesh from spoiling (can't remember the name of the chemical). This chemical is not something we want to introduce into Zoya's diet.

Bo has been on Taste of the Wild for years. I've tried others and was recently given a sample of Connolly's Red Mills. He likes it, but we'll be staying with Taste of the Wild.

One thing to consider if you have an older Sibe with a decreased activity level, is that the higher protein can cause unwanted weight gain or hot spots.

We adjusted the amount of food Bo gets to keep his weight steady and keep a watch for hot spots - just to be safe. We've never had any problems.

If I had it to do over, I would definitely consider BARF as I've learned more about it and am impressed with what I've heard from owners on this forum and others.

We feed both our dogs Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. They were on Evolve but we can't seem to find it anymore and when you need food you NEED food!!

We did a ton of research!! I think I read their labels more than I read my own.

We like the food, we also put salmon oil with their food occasionally which really helps the coat.

ok someone please explain this BARF diet to me.. in know its a raw food diet, and its better for the dog.. i have looked and looked and looked and even the barf world site doesnt even give me the information i am looking for.. mabey cause i am not a member... what is it all about.. and what is this bone eating i thought it was bad for your dog to eat bones cause they could choke on them... please someone explain i cant find info anywhere. is it a bag of raw food you buy??? do you buy the meet your self?? is it something you cook, like a meal for yourself??? or is it something totally different that you can only buy from certain dealers like avon??? please help me i have spent all damb day on the computer looking for it and have had no luck.. and am tired of the STUPID DRY FOOD!!!!!!

ok someone please explain this BARF diet to me.. in know its a raw food diet, and its better for the dog.. i have looked and looked and looked and even the barf world site doesnt even give me the information i am looking for.. mabey cause i am not a member... what is it all about.. and what is this bone eating i thought it was bad for your dog to eat bones cause they could choke on them... please someone explain i cant find info anywhere. is it a bag of raw food you buy??? do you buy the meet your self?? is it something you cook, like a meal for yourself??? or is it something totally different that you can only buy from certain dealers like avon??? please help me i have spent all damb day on the computer looking for it and have had no luck.. and am tired of the STUPID DRY FOOD!!!!!!

Marcos - first off, in some countries you can buy pre made BARF patties. I don't know if they available in the UK but they are available in the US and Australia (you can see them on the BARF world site).

I prefer to do it myself, this website is a good guide to get you started:

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

You might also want to consider reading Dr Ian Billinghurst's book The BARF Diet and if you have a pup, his book Grow Your Pup With Bones both of which are available on the BARF world website.

BARF stands for bones and raw food. The idea is that you feed your dog a balanced diet of raw meaty bones, pureed raw vegies and fruit, offal, extras like yoghurt, egg etc all raw as dogs have evolved to eat raw food. As long as bones are raw they are ok for dogs to eat.

My preference will always be a raw diet but not all dogs will do well on it. There is nothing wrong with feeding a good quality dried food and adding in extras like raw meaty bones etc.

Marcos - first off, in some countries you can buy pre made BARF patties. I don't know if they available in the UK but they are available in the US and Australia (you can see them on the BARF world site).

I prefer to do it myself, this website is a good guide to get you started:

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

You might also want to consider reading Dr Ian Billinghurst's book The BARF Diet and if you have a pup, his book Grow Your Pup With Bones both of which are available on the BARF world website.

BARF stands for bones and raw food. The idea is that you feed your dog a balanced diet of raw meaty bones, pureed raw vegies and fruit, offal, extras like yoghurt, egg etc all raw as dogs have evolved to eat raw food. As long as bones are raw they are ok for dogs to eat.

My preference will always be a raw diet but not all dogs will do well on it. There is nothing wrong with feeding a good quality dried food and adding in extras like raw meaty bones etc.

That is one of the most well-balanced posts I've read on BARF. I am not a fan of BARF, probably never will be, but your post was, I thought, extremely helpful and to the point. Once I can figure out this REP thing, I'll be adding to yours.

That is one of the most well-balanced posts I've read on BARF. I am not a fan of BARF, probably never will be, but your post was, I thought, extremely helpful and to the point. Once I can figure out this REP thing, I'll be adding to yours.

click the weighing scale icon at the bottom left of the post :)

personally I feed Topaz Best Choice maintenance, medium breed , it is made from the highest grade meat of any dried food i can find and the protien level is excellent as well. They do a selection of foods ranging from puppy food to high protien (rocket fuel) for the racers.

Thank you to all that have contributed to my thread.. i have decided to go with "taste of the wild" and i will add in a raw bone or fish every now and then i talked to my uncle in arizona aswell. he said that that is what he does with Klutch's sister and two other huskies and a malamute, and they are the healthiest dogs he has seen... ok not that healthy cause he doesnt exercise them so they are a lil junky... but.......:P

I feed my sibe Innova Evo mixed with wet. I feed my chihuahua Wellness Core mixed with wet. After a ton of research I decided on these two as the best alternatives to a raw diet. I feed these because they are very good high protein grain free foods that closely mimic the raw diet as best a kibble can do. I am currently mixing in Nature's Variety Instinct Duck & Turkey with their current kibble with outstanding results. This might be their next food, we'll see how they continue to do on it but it looks very promising right now.

Other premium kibbles I have tried include Innova Evo Red Meat, Natural Balance Complete & Balanced, and Taste of the Wild High Prairie. My dogs did okay on Natural Balance but not great. Neither of them did well on Innova Evo Red Meat or Taste of the Wild High Praire.

I do plan to eventually switch to raw once I feel more comfortable with it and MAINLY once we get a chest freezer to store it in...there's simply no room in the fridge freezer. We did do a week long trial period on the frozen raw medallions and Dakota loved them and did great, while Faith wouldn't touch it. One of these days...

• 1 month later...

dukes been havin anal sac problems for months now due to soft stool... i had em on some foods (all from the grocery store *bad i know*) purina lamb and rice and now pedigree... not helpin at all so imma try the totw and pray it fixes the problem... somehow i dont think he likes the finger n the butt.. good thread =)

when we got micha she was on pedigree chum puppy food.

we realised ti wasnt a good food, and searched for something better

we found science plan, and micha enjoyed it and grew, then became a fussy eater

then we discovered barf

michas weight was 18kg at 7 months old, so by rights she had a few more kilos to go.

when we put her on barf, the difference it made was unreal.

she has way more energy, she is at her recomended weight, and i feel better knowing im feeding her a better diet.

and its really funny to see peoples reactions when she eats raw veg.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, currently using asdas brand puppy kibble (what Nukka was weened on) but really not getting on very well with it (shes often very runny) and have been told to try "Natures diet" so was wondering if anyone had any experience with this brand and could do me a review? Read some online ones that sound encoraging but you never know whos writting those things so would like a trustworthy source?

The breakdown for the puppy one looks good I think? part from the Ash, anyone know why thats in there?????

Typical Analysis Ingredients

Protein 12%

Oil 9%

Fibre 1%

Ash 2%

Moisture 75%

Vitamin A 1250 iu/kg

Vitamin D3 150 iu/kg

Vitamin E 20mg/kg

Chicken & Lamb, minimum 60%

Vegetables, minimum 5%

Brown Rice, minimum 5%

Omega 3 (provided by Flax, Fish Oil & Meat) minimum 0.25%

Omega 6 (provided by Flax, Fish Oil & Meat) minimum 0.75%

Natural Ground Bone

Kelp

Herbs (Rosemary and Rubbed Sage)

145 kcal/100g

Kiana is fed 3 chicken wings in the morning and 3 chicken wings in the evening, with a spoonful of natural yoghurt. We were forced down this route due to her being intolerant to anything associated with kibble/dry food. She also started getting upset stomach on tinned food.

Ozz y my cocker spaniel is on Purinat Beta cos he was getting a porker, but then again he'll eat anything, and i mean anything.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Akasha eats California Natural Chicken puppy food. When I got her at 8 weeks she was eating adult Pedigree. In her first 24 hours with us, she had diarrhea 12 times. I was horrified. Poor thing. At the advice of my vet, I took her off it completely and fed her chicken and rice for a few days. Her stool looked great immediately. I gradually started adding Innova Puppy to the chicken and rice, and once it got to half and half, her stools were lose again. We went back to chicken and rice. This went on for weeks. I was so disappointed.

After a great deal of research, I tried California Natural, and she's been great ever since. She gets the occasional carrot and we stuff a kong with kibble and a little peanut butter or banana if we ever have to crate her during the day (2 hours tops) or if we take her in the car.

I am finally feeling comfortable enough to start adding other things to her diet..maybe some wet Innova or..gasp...some sardines!

I seriously considered BARF but I have a hard enough time preparing food for the people in my house, lol. It's soccer season right now, so we're often stopping for El Pollo Loco or picking up a cooked chicken at the grocery store. I suppose my husband or my mother could do it (he works from home and she is home most of the time) but that's pretty unlikely.

aww poor thing, sounds like the breeder didn't do enough research into what to feed a PUPPY - seriously - ADULT food ??? hmmm - well she's got a great mum to have a done all that research, glad she's settled now :)

It's funny isn't it how huskies are so unlike other breeds of dogs when it comes to food - i know it's harder but they always keep you on your toes :)

well Shuras a really fussy eater but since we got lola she seems to eat the things shes gone off ( must the compotition lol ) we feed them what ever biscuits we can afford depends on what in come we have when they run out. We also feed the wet food and every no and then (most of the time) any food left over from our plates. Shura also tend to love eating cerial specialy coco pops lol xx

Oh Cassie - coco pops are SOOOOO not good for them - chocolate can kill a dog, please don't feed her them hun at the end of the day they're dogs, not kids, they need to be on a stable good quality food and not chopped and changed all the time - this can give her problems both now and later in life.