What is your choice of dog food and why??

I miss living in the continental US where I can just drive a little and get better dog food. Most of the good ones that you have mentioned arent carried at all here in hawaii...so I would have to have it shipped in to me...if I could even get them to do that. I guess Im going to have to do more BARF diet stuff...its a bit expensive for me but still not as bad as prices for shipping.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She doesnt have allergies. But the fact that they dont use fillers because its limited ingredient is what i like. AND its not outrageously expensive.

My bag costs $47 for 30 lbs. And she only eats 2 1/2 cups a day so it last a while.

I know there are EVEN better foods out there, but seriously i'm not paying more than $55 a month for dog food. no way

Wow, you spend $55 a month on dog food?! I used to feed Natural Balance and switched to what I consider to be a 'better' grain free dog food, Innova Evo. Now I feed less food than I did with NB and save a bundle of money too while a feed better. I spend $55 for a 28.6 lb bag of Innova Evo that lasts me two months when he's really active, it lasts longer when he eats less during the warmer months of the year when he's less active. Just saying, feeding a better food does not mean you will pay more money in the long run even though the food may cost more per pound. ;)

I do Innova Evo Reduced fat for both my dogs and they love it so much. When I got them they were on pedigree and once I looked in the ingredients and saw all the crap I was feeding them, it made me sick to my stomach. Who would feed their dog animal by-products and so many fillers such as corn?? It's giving them no nutrients what so ever. Ever since I have switched my dogs food their fur is softer and silkier, they have more muscle tone, and they are in general, very happy dogs who look forward to time to eat. I also switch it up with a raw diet to where I do kibble for breakfast and raw for dinner. Sometimes I add as a mid day snack apples and yogurt. Oh boy do their loooove their yogurt!!

Right now Kaiya is on Taste of the Wild Prarie Formula and has done well on it. We tried the "fowl" flavor and that didn't sit too well at all! We just picked up a small bag of the pacific stream flavor as well, but we haven't really switched her to it. I have been using it as training treats however and she seems to like it.

Wow, you spend $55 a month on dog food?! I used to feed Natural Balance and switched to what I consider to be a 'better' grain free dog food, Innova Evo. Now I feed less food than I did with NB and save a bundle of money too while a feed better. I spend $55 for a 28.6 lb bag of Innova Evo that lasts me two months when he's really active, it lasts longer when he eats less during the warmer months of the year when he's less active. Just saying, feeding a better food does not mean you will pay more money in the long run even though the food may cost more per pound. ;)

oh no.. i just meant i would never spend more than that per month. That's just craziness. Thats more money than it costs to feed my kid.....well almost.

Right now i spend $47 on the 30 lb bag. Its been almost a month since i bought the last one and the bin I store the food in is only half empty.

So i spend more like $27 a month on food

oh no.. i just meant i would never spend more than that per month. That's just craziness. Thats more money than it costs to feed my kid.....well almost.

Right now i spend $47 on the 30 lb bag. Its been almost a month since i bought the last one and the bin I store the food in is only half empty.

So i spend more like $27 a month on food

LOL Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up. I'd never spend that much either! :P

I've never fed raw can't stand it (went to visit my friend who has 3 Sarloos and she was feeding them rabbits and chicken wings it was disgusting) plus my two would just fight. When Nook was younger he was allergic to protein it made him very poorly and skinny so he was on fish and rice for a few years. He's ok now and Scoob can eat anthin although it takes her ages. They are both on Bakers senior now, they both love it and it doesn't upset tums. Put Nook in a fun dog show and he came 1st in best condition so its doin some good!!! Pup is on wet food, tried him on dry but just went straight through him. Not sure what im going to do with him when he is older.

• 3 weeks later...

Maddi is 3 1/2 and she is currently on Iams mixed with Natures Diet Wet food.

Mishka is nearly 7 months and her food has recently been changed. She used to be on Iams puppy, mixed with Natures Diet Puppy, but we have changed the dry to Techni-Cal Puppy.

She seemed to always be hungry, and unsatisfied, and was eating LOTS of grass/mud. Once she had the techni-cal she calmed down a lot!

After reading up about dog food herehttp://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews we have decided to reduce the amount of grain in both their diets, and give them both much better food.

So, Mishka is going to be going onto Orijen Puppy as soon as we can. Probably mixed with the Natures Diet as it will keep the cost down considerably, and seems to be a high quality food also.

Maddi will be transferring onto Orijen as soon as the 15kg bag of Iams is gone(only just started it...lol)

After having read some of the posts on here, we are getting some tinned tuna/sardines in oil tomorrow to give to Maddi as a treat once a week.

Is Mishka(7 months) too young to be giving tinned fish to?

Any thoughts on what we are feeding/ proposing to feed them?:)

Marty

Some people may have an aversion to feeding their dogs raw food however as long as the dog is wormed regularly this is very natural and far more beneficial then a lot of hugely overpriced dog food such as pedigree chum, Iams, Eukanaba etc.

The contents of food such as the above is like feeding yourself or your kids doner kebab everyday. It's mostly horse meat and anything else they scrape together to put in there and call it "Animal Derivitives". The scarier part is that the amount of chemicals that they put in it to preserve it is essentially poison to dogs. These companies have great PR and charge huge prices but I have several friends who are small animal vets and two of them have seen a growing trend in stomach cancer - espiecally in breeds such as Shepherds, Labradors and other breeds with a sensitive constitution who's owners when asked have said they fed them on canned food and biscuits from the above or similar. Obviously can't pinpoint it but it's too much of a coincidence!

A few of you guys have mentioned Burns and Science Diet plan, and there a few others who are very good and detail exactly what is in the food. Many don't know but dogs actually only need just over a 1/3 of meat/protein in their diet and actually need essentials such as fibre and carbs ( NOT WHEAT) found in rice and vegetables and even fruit if your dog would eat that.

My dogs diet weekly consists of chicken wings ( Bought for around 1.90 from Tesco - Pack of 12), Burns biscuits/kibble, Lambs Hearts ( 1.80 - 3 in a pack) either chopped up raw or cooked and cooked food from holistic brands ( Sorry can't recall the names - As I have just run out!) - These work out about the same price of an expensive "Brand" name one but it has real meat, rice and veggies in it. I have had dogs all my life and since an early age I took an interest in nutrition in dogs and I have had terriers to German Shepherds/Hukies etc and NEVER had a day at the vet that wasn't for a routine op ( Spay or neuter) or jabs and my friends dogs where she has 3 dogs - now moved to Canada - A rottie who is 14 years old, Shepherd 11 years and a Husky who is 17 - They are all a bit arthritic but still going strong and they still charge around!!!!!!!!!!!! Mty friend is 10 years older than me and has fed similar to the above so it does seem to work and I have copied her and hope my girl lives to such an old age!! That's just awesome!

Of course each dog varys and you must do how you think best and to your tastes but just thought I would add my bit.

Sorry for the essay - Again!!!!!

That Lassie food looks great and fully nutritional for our furries - Just looked it up as hadn't heard of it. Shame it's not sold in the UK.

I also feed tripe now and again ( Sold frozen) and salmon - ( But only if on very special offer!!!)

My food bill is quite cheap really as I break up the packs of raw meat into seperate bags and freeze them and just defrost what I need per day or - with the Burns biccies its a complete meal - twice a day.

The cooked meat comes in either pouches or trays. :D

• 1 month later...

I went through many foods with Pongo since he has loose stools for a long time. We started on blue buffalo, then taste of the wild, then Iams. He did ok on Iams but had AWFUL gas and his stools still weren't really firm. So we now switched to wellness large breed puppy food. So far it's been wonderful! Everyone we know feeds their dogs this and the ingredients are so healthy. check it out!

Wellness large breed puppy

They also have a core formula which is protein-based.

I feed Horizon Legacy. I like that it's based on a natural diet, the meat content is 80% human grade, the lack of cheap filler and of course that it's made/sourced in Canada! The only problem I have with it; is that the high protein content gives my Spitz gas. :huh:

If you're wondering what's in your dog food check out http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

I feed both of my dogs Finnish dog Food "Jahti & Vahti" Earlier I fed them with Nutro Choice. But then the manufacturer changed and quality just came down. (Original was made in USA) After Nutro Choice I tried Hill´s. And it was very good! But so expensive: 78€/15kg= 70.44£/33lb. So I finally end up with Jahti & Vahti. (Our food is now based on Chicken & Rice with good quality) And it cost only 27€/15kg=24.39£/33lb.

I also feed them with raw food and simple homemade food.

:)