What is your choice of dog food and why??

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You may want to check this out: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=126&cat=all

Sscience Diet Large Breed Ingredients:

Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Gluten Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, Glucosamine Hydorchloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract

Guaranteed Analysis:

Protein (min) 19%

Fat (min) 13%

Fiber (max) 3%

Calcium (min) 0.7%

Phosphorus (min) 0.4%

Items in red are either grains or fillers. I'm not a big fan of grains, especially corn, brewers rice, and sorghum.

We feed Zoya Taste of the Wild. It is grain free, contains meat from several sources, fruits for anit-oxidants, and is high in protein and omega oils. It's grain free with no by-products. She gets along fine on two cups a day and her stools are well formed and firm. Her coat shines and she has plenty of energy and absolutely loves the stuff. Here's the info on TOTW. We've fed her both the Wetlands Canine Formula and High Prairie Canine Formula.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1287&cat=all

Taste of the Wild Wetlands Canine Formula Ingredients:

Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 32.0% Minimum

Crude Fat 18.0% Minimum

Crude Fiber 4.0% Maximum

Moisture 10.0% Maximum

Sodium 0.3% Maximum

Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum

Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum

Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum

Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.4% Minimum

Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.4% Minimum

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1285&cat=all

Taste of the Wild Pet Food High Prairie Canine Formula Ingredients:

Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 32.0% Minimum

Crude Fat 18.0 Minimum

Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum

Moisture 10.0% Maximum

Sodium 0.3% Maximum

Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum

Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum

Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum

Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.8% Minimum

Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3% Minimum

This site http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ rates Science Diet Large Breed with 1 star, TOTW with 6 stars. We used to feed Zoya Nutro Ultra Large Breed Puppy Food, but switched to TOTW at ten months, based on recommendations from both Zoya's breeder and her vet.

wow dave thanx for the info. i see your point. and this totw, where do you perchase it from is it in reg pet stores of something you have to buy online??

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/ There's a link on their site for where to buy. I pick it up at a local feed store. I have not seen it in any pet food stores. Some farm supply stores like Tractor Supply carry it.

BARF for me I believe in my dogs eating a natural diet without any added chemicals and other ingredients. They are always full of energy sporting fantastic coats and always in good health. To note Huskies are very different to other breeds and are very delicate when selecting the dogs diet. My dog’s stools are always solid and little UN like some of the dry foods causing loose stools and plenty of it.

Cant stand Science Diet >>> A bag of crap the vets highly reccamend as they get commission for each bulk they sell.

Burns complete and RAW <<<< Never had a better success!!!

Heres a thread on BARF i created a while ago, its a great thread as people have added their success and picceys with raw feeding:

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2752

And heres a link for Burns dog food >> I find this food great as it caters to the lean Siberian, Alaska doesn't eat much and never has done, with feeding her the high energy Lamb and Active breed i know if she only ate 1 cup today she got a lot out of her kibble. Adding the raw food is something i would never deviate from, they love it, its 100% natural and its giving them way more than a whole bag if kibble ever could!

Burns dog food:

http://www.burnspet.co.uk/

dave for some reason this link http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ doesen't seem to work

That's funny. I just clicked on the link in your post and it worked. Must be something at your end.

we feeding my pup chicken and rice at mo but when we had a german shepperd he used to have a full sunday roast with us no gravy what we di do was feed him boiled potato peelings with his bakers dried food and he had a stunning coat on him vets never said he was in bad condition allways praised how he looked so i guess i don something right would this be ok for my little saskia when she older do you think ??

There looks like there is alot of BARF eating going on. lol. it must be a good food.. is it wet or dry???

BARF is just one type of raw diet - it stands for bones and raw food.

The basic break down of the dog's diet is generally 70% raw meaty bones (chicken wings/necks/frames; turkey necks/wings; lamb forequarters/shanks/necks; etc); 20% raw vegies and fruit plus extras like raw eggs, natural yoghurt, sardines and mackeral etct; 10% offal (raw heart, kidneys, livers etc).

However, it's worthwhile doing a lot of research and reading before feeding a raw diet so you really understand how it works so you are feeding your dog a balanced diet.

we feeding my pup chicken and rice at mo but when we had a german shepperd he used to have a full sunday roast with us no gravy what we di do was feed him boiled potato peelings with his bakers dried food and he had a stunning coat on him vets never said he was in bad condition allways praised how he looked so i guess i don something right would this be ok for my little saskia when she older do you think ??

If Im honest, if you start feeding a husky that your likely to have trouble lol ...

There are a good few threads around in the food and diet sections regarding what to feed your husky. Some have problems with digestion of food and tend to get loose bowels when given the wrong kinds of food. Feeding the above I woudl guess will end up in just that.

Also as seen above, ensure you have a good look at the ingredients on what you feed. Usually your gonna find that the more well known the brand, the more crap they tend to have in them. All this 'Vet Recommended' stuff tends to go out of the window as it is just marketing most of the time. Feeding a balanced BARF diet is usually best as it is more of a natural diet for a Husky, however there are some good dried foods out there. Ours tend to get a mix of the two.

As said above, ensure you have a good read if you are deciding on BARF so that you know what you are feeding them as you need to ensure you get a balanced mix of nutrients.

Marc, I totally agree. Unless I've misinterpreted Greilly's post, chicken and rice is definitely not a balanced diet - for a pup or an adult dog, but especially for a pup who needs the right balance of nutrients to grow properly.

Growing a pup on a raw diet is always going to be harder than feeding an adult on raw, and it's something you want to be very careful not to stuff up or you will cause problems with the way the pup grows. If you are going to feed a pup on a raw diet do a LOT of reading and research to ensure you understand how to do so properly - Billinghurst's book "Grow Your Pup with Bones" is a great read and a good place to start.

IMO you either feed a good quality dried food with extras like raw bones, fish etc thrown in every day or so OR you feed a balanced raw diet. Rice is a filler and as such goes straight through a dog, there is no nutritional benefit. Chicken and rice is definitely not a balanced diet.

I agree with Bec and Marc, i only feed plain boiled chicken and rice when one of them has the runs or something >>> But on the whole they are not even getting a quater of what they need. I could feed alaska this and add one egg a week and her coat would look great, so under the misconception that shes getting the best diets. SO in other words their are some fats and oils in roast chicken that would have given coat shine.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/ There's a link on their site for where to buy. I pick it up at a local feed store. I have not seen it in any pet food stores. Some farm supply stores like Tractor Supply carry it.

Dave, thanks a bunch for posting this. I've been thinking about switching food for my baby. There is a place less than a half mile from my home that has it. I will begin the transition today. Big thumbs up to you!