Wife dislikes dog, I love him (what else can I do?)

InterSimi

Let me start of by saying that I am very sorry that things did not work out.

Secondly what Jamie said is true you will have to go through all of this again with a pup. Maybe a 2 year old would be good for you and your family that way all the "bad" behaviours will hopefully be grown out of.

Thirdly getting a puppy does not mean they will get along with cats. Some have a huge prey drive and others do not. You take your chances either way. Rusty does great with his kitties and i got him at ayear and a half. I had Sasha from 8 weeks and he had a strong prey drive. It is a chance that you take when mixing Sibes and cats.

Thanks Jasper, speaking to a pack owner where I work, he has said that the pups inherit a certain amount of prey drive from their parents and that he has a male with high drive and a female with low drive. Some of their offspring have gone either way. Again I think a Sibe resuce should be able to assist us make a decision.

I will keep reading this forum and researching until early next year before making a decision, but your thoughts and commenst are gratly appreciated.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several with very high prey drive, that even as puppies really wanted to eat my cats! Most of my pack lives outdoors in a kennel situation because of my two elderly house cats, who would run rather than stand their ground and put puppies in their place - the prey behavior was reinforced when they'd flee from the pups. When I had my last litter, I had several young cats that actually wanted to play with the puppies, which worked quite well until the puppies were as big as the cats, at around 5-6 weeks, and were getting more coordinated. Pigpile on the kitty became the fun new game, and suddenly Kitty wasn't as thrilled about playing with them anymore! Becky's Ryn is generally quite good with her cat, but thinks mine look yummy - as do her brother and their mum! Prey drive is strong! There are some that with work and a lot of luck, might be able to learn to get along with the cats, it's hard to say...

I am so

I have had a discussion with the family and I think, after trying a lot of thing over the last 5 months, we are going to have to make the decision to let Shinobi go. I have phoned Battersea and asked them what my options are, and they are going to call me back. The lady on the phone, said that they could book him in as early as next week.

Obviously, I am devastated, as I think that he will be a great dog, if we could just get over this mouthing stage. He is about 14 month old now, he is moving towards getting out of his adolescent stage and it will be a shame, to go through all of this with him, only to have to give him up. Unfortunately, I have to listed to my family, as well as get my own point across.

Having spoke to my 15 year old son and asked him what he would think if we gave him up, he said, part of him will miss Shinobi, the other part would not. I can see his point of view entirely. Shinobi does tend to "pick" on him too, so he rarely comes in to the front room when Shinobi is running around, unless we are there.

Sorry I missed your post last week and don't want to open up old wounds but just wanted you to know - I am so sad for you :( - but like previous posts I've seen on the forum I can only say that, what you did - to even try to take on a rescue (which would be the hardest of the hard) is admirable and ultimately - even though you're clearly devastated at the outcome - you needed to do what is right for you and your family.;)

so sorry to hear u had to send shinobi back - who knows his new owners might find this place n u can hear all about how hes getting on

maybe speak to husky specific rescues n see if they can find u an older placid dog or a dog to fit ur home - most rescues = specially shwa i know will find the dog that fits YOU rather then just rehoming any husky 2 u that u personally might end up having issues with where as sum1 else wouldnt if you know what i mean

so sorry to hear u had to send shinobi back - who knows his new owners might find this place n u can hear all about how hes getting on

maybe speak to husky specific rescues n see if they can find u an older placid dog or a dog to fit ur home - most rescues = specially shwa i know will find the dog that fits YOU rather then just rehoming any husky 2 u that u personally might end up having issues with where as sum1 else wouldnt if you know what i mean

it would be great if they did find this forum. I would love to hear how he gets on, I just wouldn't want to "pry".

I do keep checking Battersea to see if he is there yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news from Battersea:

I have received a letter from Battersea, saying they had to put him to sleep. I am devastated.

The letter said that he was aggressive towards people and other dogs and was not suitable for rehoming after being assessed by a behavioural team.

he needed training not putting to sleep! I am disgusted with battersea.

Im sorry for your loss,x

This makes me mad! I have had experience of the Battersea assessment regime in the past and managed to get 4 6month pups out after they'd been assessed as aggressive - all the pups came through fostering with me and found good forever homes.

The assessment itself will predispose some dogs to fail, particularly dogs that love human contact. If the staff are unsure about a dog, until it's been assessed it is isolated from people. This in itself will make some dogs very nervous and reactive. If they then show any less-than-friendly behaviour when presented with people or dogs, they are deemed aggressive and unless one of the better staff members can get them out quickly to a breed specific rescue, they're doomed. There are some really good staff at Battersea, but there are also some nasty jobsworths who will always take the easy route and won't make that extra effort.

R.I.P.Shinobi.