Wife dislikes dog, I love him (what else can I do?)

InterSimi

I need to comprise a list of things, that I expect them to ask:

Good with cats: no

Good with children: most of the time

Good with dogs: yes

Commands learnt:

Sit

Down

Paw

Other paw

Run (to run after a thrown treat or with me)

Find it

Leave

Shinobi come (95% of the time when you have treats)

Commands learning:

Down (needs improving)

With me (heel)

Stand (from a sit)

He like to swim in lakes and is rather good at it. He like to chase anything with fur on it. He loves to play with other dogs, high energy at first, then "boxing" style. He does pull on the collar, but is great to walk on a halti or figure of eight nose harness. He also loves to run on a dog powered scooter, like the Pawtrekker side harness (we have not done any front pulling). He can run or miles, with breaks every 1.5 Km. He will drink from puddles on the hoof, or stop and have a roll around in the puddle.

We have not been washing him, as his hair takes care of itself. After being really muddy, within 6 hours, he is all clean again. Being white, this is quite remarkable.

He has already blown his coat and is in the process of growing it back.

He eats Chappie mainly, but loves raw meat, which we had only just started introducing. He loves his raw his bones and will demolish one in about 4 hours.

He is crated at night and will howl/bark for he first couple of minutes occasionally, then will settle down. We have also been muzzling him if he becomes too excited, as he will start to mouth you quite hard.

The mouthing is the main reason for rehoming him. He will go from laying there getting cuddles to biting your arms, legs etc. he does not care about noises, like bottles with stones in, or air horns, or even fireworks. He seems to be able to block all of that out.

If you need to get him in his crate and he doesn't want o go in, you do have to "play" chase around the room with him. Most of the time, offering him treats and getting him to sit will work, however, he has started to wise up to that!

All in all, Shinobi is a wonderful dog, who ideally would suit an owner, who is not afraid of his teeth (I'm not, but my wife and kids are). I don't think he bites hard intentionally. His new owners should definitely not have cats and ideally either older children who are confident with big dogs or no children.

Anyway, that has helped me offload some of my thoughts...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

InterSimi im sorry that you have come to this decision. However I have to point out that you say he was 11 months old when you got him and he is 14 months now? is that right? youve had him for 3 months? Im sorry but it takes much longer than that to integrate a rescue dog into the household. I know I have one too.

however whatever I say will not change your decision, im sure.

But I am very concerned about him going into battersea again. Cant you give him to a proper husky specific rescue? I only ask because in a husky experienced foster home he will get the training for his problems before being rehomed. At Battersea im sure they dont have the time or facilities to do this. Plus im concerned (and dont take this the wrong way) that they will rehome to someone who has no experience with huskies and he will keep ending back in there.

Please dont take anything i have said in the wrong context (sometimes I struggle to put it right) I only have the welfare of the dog at heart.

I understand what you are saying 100%, however, with Battersea, you do agree to take the adopted dog back to them.

I am not taking him back to the same centre.

I don't think the issues are regarding breed, so I don't think that is a concern, they are general dog issues. I will point out the breed idiosyncrasies to them if they don't already know.

I understand what you are saying 100%, however, with Battersea, you do agree to take the adopted dog back to them.

I don't think the issues are regarding breed, so I don't think that is a concern, they are general dog issues. I will point out the breed idiosyncrasies to them if they don't already know.

ah ok then didnt know that.

Unfourtunately this is the problem sometimes with rescues, I almost gave up mine several times. But we persevered and she is a lovely dog now. Im sorry it hasnt had the same happy ending for you.

i'm sorry to read this, but humans needs are important too. He sounds like he could need a working home for that additonal level of exercise and stimulation along with the pack environment etc and a very experienced owner. Its worth talking to the rescue about the possibility of them passing hiim to a dedicated husky welfare. that way there will be a significant more chance of a suitable home found as a thorough dog assessment will be done and training etc.

What problems did you have with Storm and Angel?

Me???? Well not between them as they got on right away. But Angel had some personal issues with men and trust. She doesnt like her back end being touched and when she was put in her hygiene pants for her season she tried to bite anyone near her. She also snapped at my kids a few times and she very almost went back to the rescue. Time and patience is the key. I know its not hard but im worried you are giving up too soon. xx

I'm pretty sure Battersea have a contract much the same as the other big rescue charities that stipulate if you need to rehome the dog it must go back to them

My supervisor is currently attending a behavioural course with one of batterseas behavioursits so i will ask her to speak to that behaviourist to see if they will consider asking for help from a husky charity etc, however again i'm pretty sure that like other large rescue charities they tend to keep everything in house at the moment (this is due to start changing soon though due to the new course all well known rescues (battersea, blue x, dogs trust + rspca) are attending to come up with a unified behavioural plan) - sorry wen't off topic!

They will need you to be very specific with your information. You need to be sure to point out the damage he has done to you as well as all the good bits - hosue training, other dogs, large amount of commands etc. The more info you can give them the more it will help finding another home. Its important to phrase things avoiding words like attacked, instead use over enthusiastic mouthing which lead to biteing and therefore puncture wounds. If you say attacked people tend to pannic.

They will have (should) a return questionnaire which will ask you about house training, time alone, commands, problems etc. I work in a resuce and find it very helpful having a letter from the previous owners that states their experiences with the dog in their own words. Things like how problems developed. What training has been attempted, whats worked and what hasn't etc.

Don't forget to take your vaccination cards and if you've taken him to the vet for anything then they will also need the name/address/phone number of your vet to get his medical history while he has been with you.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Not an easy thing to do at all and i fully sympathise with your decision.

im sorry that you have come to this decision. However I have to point out that you say he was 11 months old when you got him and he is 14 months now? is that right? youve had him for 3 months? Im sorry but it takes much longer than that to integrate a rescue dog into the household. I know I have one too.

But I am very concerned about him going into battersea again. Cant you give him to a proper husky specific rescue? I only ask because in a husky experienced foster home he will get the training for his problems before being rehomed. At Battersea im sure they dont have the time or facilities to do this. Plus im concerned (and dont take this the wrong way) that they will rehome to someone who has no experience with huskies and he will keep ending back in there.

Please dont take anything i have said in the wrong context (sometimes I struggle to put it right) I only have the welfare of the dog at heart"

I would like to point out that some rescues can be very very difficult and there are many members who have the war wounds to prove it. Not all dogs can be fixed...sadly i have had 2 of these dogs so far and expect to have many others. Sometimes whats right for the dog also affects whats right for the humans and not everyone is in a position where they can work on behavioural problems. Putting your children and partner at risk is a big ask for anyone and it should never be assumed that anyone would do this...or asked to do this. I'm very very lucky that my partener understands that merlin needs careful handling and there are strickt rules around his handling that can never be broken, However i would never expect anyone other than myseld to be like this with him which is why he stayed with me after foster and was not rehomed. I'm not sure anyone can ever expect another person to be able to work on issues that arrise with a rescue dog. work has clearly been done here but there is always a line and ts not something for us to define.

Battersea have several trained behavioursits and are currently working on developing their skills. Working in a large rescue organisation I can assure you that we do not always see behavioural problems and often don't always know about them until the dog is in a home. Many dogs are returned every year because people take home dogs that then prove to have problems that were un expected. Not everyone is able to deal with these problems and it should never be expected of anyone to deal with them. I think InterSimi is doing whats right for his family. And they were there first. And a dog in a home with stressed humans is not a good place for that dog to be. Especially wiht underlying behaviour problems - seperation anxiety, no bite inhabitiion with a learnt bite behaviour. It would take months to rectify and possibly never be rectified.

I live with a dog that has and can cause serious damage if the rules are not observed. I would not wish my worst enemy to be in a situatuion like that. Where people can't move for fear of being bitten by a dog they have invited into their home. It causes many arguements and upsets within the home. Not a good enviroment for anyone to be in.

not having a go, just saying I don't think anyone should judge in this situation or expect other people to deal with problems we our selves can deal with. Especially as we don't know all the dogs history andwhat has caused these behaviours. This dog isn't just snapping or giving warning bites, its inflicting damage on children and adults. Personnaly I think this is the right decision for both dog and owners and hopefully battersea will consider contacting a husky rescue for help.

Thanks again Merlin (that was Shinobi's original name, but he never responded to it), that does put my mind at rest.

With regards to how long we have had Shinobi, we adopted him at 11 months old back in July, so have had him for 4 months now, making him 15 months old. I don't have his records on me currently (back at home), but that is about right. Sorry for the confussion regarding age etc.

I must say, that if the decision was purely down to me, I wouldn't let him go back. I would continue the training as I am sure he is improving... Unfortunately, my wife gets the full force of him and is with him most of the time, because of my shift work. I have seen Shinobi go up on his hind legs and push Marie against the door, before mouthing her arms and her back.

We told the kids last night about what we are doing this morning and to be honest, they didn't seem to mind. Where as when our last two dogs died, they cried for days. I do think I am the only one in the house who has bonded with him.

I'm pretty sure Battersea have a contract much the same as the other big rescue charities that stipulate if you need to rehome the dog it must go back to them

My supervisor is currently attending a behavioural course with one of batterseas behavioursits so i will ask her to speak to that behaviourist to see if they will consider asking for help from a husky charity etc, however again i'm pretty sure that like other large rescue charities they tend to keep everything in house at the moment (this is due to start changing soon though due to the new course all well known rescues (battersea, blue x, dogs trust + rspca) are attending to come up with a unified behavioural plan) - sorry wen't off topic!

They will need you to be very specific with your information. You need to be sure to point out the damage he has done to you as well as all the good bits - hosue training, other dogs, large amount of commands etc. The more info you can give them the more it will help finding another home. Its important to phrase things avoiding words like attacked, instead use over enthusiastic mouthing which lead to biteing and therefore puncture wounds. If you say attacked people tend to pannic.

They will have (should) a return questionnaire which will ask you about house training, time alone, commands, problems etc. I work in a resuce and find it very helpful having a letter from the previous owners that states their experiences with the dog in their own words. Things like how problems developed. What training has been attempted, whats worked and what hasn't etc.

Don't forget to take your vaccination cards and if you've taken him to the vet for anything then they will also need the name/address/phone number of your vet to get his medical history while he has been with you.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Not an easy thing to do at all and i fully sympathise with your decision.

im sorry that you have come to this decision. However I have to point out that you say he was 11 months old when you got him and he is 14 months now? is that right? youve had him for 3 months? Im sorry but it takes much longer than that to integrate a rescue dog into the household. I know I have one too.

Please dont take anything i have said in the wrong context (sometimes I struggle to put it right) I only have the welfare of the dog at heart"

I would like to point out that some rescues can be very very difficult and there are many members who have the war wounds to prove it. Not all dogs can be fixed...sadly i have had 2 of these dogs so far and expect to have many others. Sometimes whats right for the dog also affects whats right for the humans and not everyone is in a position where they can work on behavioural problems. Putting your children and partner at risk is a big ask for anyone and it should never be assumed that anyone would do this...or asked to do this. I'm very very lucky that my partener understands that merlin needs careful handling and there are strickt rules around his handling that can never be broken, However i would never expect anyone other than myseld to be like this with him which is why he stayed with me after foster and was not rehomed. I'm not sure anyone can ever expect another person to be able to work on issues that arrise with a rescue dog. work has clearly been done here but there is always a line and ts not something for us to define.

Battersea have several trained behavioursits and are currently working on developing their skills. Working in a large rescue organisation I can assure you that we do not always see behavioural problems and often don't always know about them until the dog is in a home. Many dogs are returned every year because people take home dogs that then prove to have problems that were un expected. Not everyone is able to deal with these problems and it should never be expected of anyone to deal with them. I think InterSimi is doing whats right for his family. And they were there first. And a dog in a home with stressed humans is not a good place for that dog to be. Especially wiht underlying behaviour problems - seperation anxiety, no bite inhabitiion with a learnt bite behaviour. It would take months to rectify and possibly never be rectified.

I live with a dog that has and can cause serious damage if the rules are not observed. I would not wish my worst enemy to be in a situatuion like that. Where people can't move for fear of being bitten by a dog they have invited into their home. It causes many arguements and upsets within the home. Not a good enviroment for anyone to be in.

not having a go, just saying I don't think anyone should judge in this situation or expect other people to deal with problems we our selves can deal with. Especially as we don't know all the dogs history andwhat has caused these behaviours. This dog isn't just snapping or giving warning bites, its inflicting damage on children and adults. Personnaly I think this is the right decision for both dog and owners and hopefully battersea will consider contacting a husky rescue for help.

I do think you took what I was saying the wrong way Heather and I knew someone would.

I wasnt judging I was just trying to help guide, and it makes me upset that Shinobi has to go back to kennels tbh. Maybe a husky wasnt right for them.

Tear jerky moment over.

Shinobi is now back with Battersea. I am somewhat relieved to speak to the Batterea person at Old Windsor. She fully understood the breed and said the lady in London should not of assumed that Shinobi would of got along with cats (in the first instance).

Are speaking at length, she told us that they have a waiting list for Sibes and she feels he should be owned by experienced Sibe owners because of his energy. They did also give me an email address, so I could find out his progress and follow him, although I won't be able to find out his new home, I will hopefully be able to make sure he is suitably placed in a great or ever home.

I will let you all know how he gets on

Thai you all for understanding and the great help and support offered

I think that some of the problems you were experiencing probably were/are breed related, so you know if you should consider getting another Siberian in the future. Many of them tend to be rather bossy dogs, and will take charge and push people around if they think they can get away with it. When I was in college, my parents had a Siberian (Misha). My grandparents lived at my parents' house during the summer (they traveled down to Texas for the winter), and I'll never forget the story about my parents going away for a couple of days. Mish wouldn't let my grandma do anything in HER mama's kitchen! Grandpa had to run interference, because Mish wouldn't allow her to open the fridge or make a meal, and when she would try to walk, the darned dog would grab her foot - she wouldn't bite Grandma, she'd just hold her there until Grandma called Grandpa to come get the dog and free her!

I would consider getting a Siberian Husky puppy (8-12 weeks old) from a reputable breeder. In the hope that our "issues" were learnt behaviours from previous owners.

My thought process is that as a young puppy, he/she will get along with our cats from day 1 and will learn the house rules (as our previous dogs did), or am I being unrealistic.

I feel I have a lot to give and adore the breed.

You will go through biting and nipping again, this time with razor sharp puppy teeth. Took Kissu about three months, I think, to learn bite inhibition. So that's something for your wife to think about. Also potty training, which was a nightmare for me and I had fleeting thoughts out of frustration of getting him back to his breeder. Waking up after three hours of sleeping to take him to the bathroom meant 10 to 15 minute walks around the block.

There's also crate training. Honestly, with little kids in your house, whose first husky experience was scary and stressful, I'd say you're maybe better off rescuing a 2 year old dog. Husky specific rescues will do their best to fit the right husky with your family.

Let me start of by saying that I am very sorry that things did not work out.

Secondly what Jamie said is true you will have to go through all of this again with a pup. Maybe a 2 year old would be good for you and your family that way all the "bad" behaviours will hopefully be grown out of.

Thirdly getting a puppy does not mean they will get along with cats. Some have a huge prey drive and others do not. You take your chances either way. Rusty does great with his kitties and i got him at ayear and a half. I had Sasha from 8 weeks and he had a strong prey drive. It is a chance that you take when mixing Sibes and cats.

I may have to contact a Husky specific rescue and ask there advise.

I spoke to my father last night regarding the rehoming of Shinobi (he is a big bloke, who has always owned dogs), he did say that he wasn't suprised, as Shinobi scared him, but he didn't say anything at the time, because he thought I had control of everything (which I did, however, my wife didn't - not her fault, probably mine-).

Our last two dogs, we had from puppies, one was a Blind Blue Merle Collie, which we got from a breeder, however discovered two weeks afterwards that he was blind (didn't realise initially - strange but true-). The breeder gave us our money back, but we kept Kote, as we loved him. A couple of years later, we adopted a Collie Cross puppy called Kali. The puppy training isn't an issue, we will crate train, as we did with Kali.

I have discussed this with my wife, who has no issues starting with a puppy, the sharp teeth and weeing/messing are part and parcel of any puppy training :)

With regards to rescuing a 2 year old, I think we will struggle to adopt a Sibe who will get along with our 4 cats. Our cats got along with our other 2 dogs (before they went to doggy heaven) and I would even say that older 2 cats adored them and would seek out the dogs to lay next to, instead of us!

We would not be looking to adopt another until after Christmas, so please don't think this is a rush job. We need to allow the cats to settle back down and for the pain of having Shinobi rehomed to simmer.