Sabre's had a fit!!!!

Had to take Sabre to the vets today because he had a fit!! My husband was in bed cos he works nights and was woken up by an almight raket which turned out to be Sabre having a fit in my sons bedroom next door to ours. He said he was shaking like mad and foaming at the mouth and lost all control of his bodily functions. He said that when he came round he just didn't know where he was an didn't recognise my husband at all then something just clicked and he was back to normal again. My husband called for me at work and we took him straight to the vets where the vet said it sounded just like an epileptic fit! I can't believe it as he is so fit and well. The vet also said he was just about the age when dogs do start having fits (we think he is two next month, not sure as he is from rehoming kennels). This has really shaken me up even though I didn't see it and I really hope he doesn't have any more!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to take Sabre to the vets today because he had a fit!! My husband was in bed cos he works nights and was woken up by an almight raket which turned out to be Sabre having a fit in my sons bedroom next door to ours. He said he was shaking like mad and foaming at the mouth and lost all control of his bodily functions. He said that when he came round he just didn't know where he was an didn't recognise my husband at all then something just clicked and he was back to normal again. My husband called for me at work and we took him straight to the vets where the vet said it sounded just like an epileptic fit! I can't believe it as he is so fit and well. The vet also said he was just about the age when dogs do start having fits (we think he is two next month, not sure as he is from rehoming kennels). This has really shaken me up even though I didn't see it and I really hope he doesn't have any more!!

Sorry to hear about Sabre!!! its sad but dogs can have epileptic fits and I bet its not a very nice thing to see. Have the vets taken tests to defo confirm this? what happens now?

Hope Sabre is feeling alot better! Big get well kisses & cuddles to him :sweet_kiss::heart::heart::heart:

Mary & Grey

xxx x x x

Sorry to hear about Sabre!!! its sad but dogs can have epileptic fits and I bet its not a very nice thing to see. Have the vets taken tests to defo confirm this? what happens now?

Hope Sabre is feeling alot better! Big get well kisses & cuddles to him :sweet_kiss::heart::heart::heart:

Mary & Grey

xxx x x x

No they haven't done any tests, just said that what my husband described were typical signs of an epileptic fit and that all we should do for now was keep an eye on him as if we put him on medication now he will be on it for life. Vet also said that they don't like to put dogs on medication even if they have more regular fits as already said they are on it for life and with all medication there are pros and cons of being on it.

OMG i'm so sorry! Big hugs to you and your family, especially poor Sabre.

Have just found this on a website -

"When your dog is suffering an epileptic fit it will first of all go rigid and with its paws outstretched being to experience muscle twitches and spasms. Your dog will normally be quite unconscious of what is occurring at the moment and you will also not be able to stop the occurrence once it begins. Nearly all epileptic fits occur when the dog is resting and not when it is exercising. Although it is very traumatic for owners to see their dog suffering these fits the dog itself is quite unaware and doesn't normally experience any pain from the spasms. If the attack occurs inside the house then you should calmly tell everyone to be quiet, turn off the TV, dim the lights and/or close the curtains all with the intent to make your dog feel as calm and secure as possible. This means that you will also need to control your own emotions and feelings so as not to pass any negative vibes onto your dog. If your dogs suffers an attack outside then you should do your best to shade it from the sun or any other

lights. Again do not attempt to move your dog while it is suffering an attack, unless to leave it would be life threatening. Most fits only last for a few minutes but during this time you should be keeping track of what is occurring so that you can report the incident in full to the veterinarian. Once your dog comes out of it he will probably be disoriented for a few minutes and may even suffer some momentary impairment to his sight. Many dogs feel hungry and thirsty when coming out of a fit. Be sure to call your veterinarian as soon as possible after the fit and if it was extreme you may be asked to bring your dog in for a check immediately. Either way you should most definitely have your dog checked within a week of the fit. Since the veterinarian will ask you many questions about what your dog was doing before, during and after the fit, it would be a good idea to note down any specifics before you forget."

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Sarah - that is almost spot on what happened and also what the vet told us to do should Sabre have another fit.

I'm so sorry to hear about that Julie. Sheba has had several herself over the years. She had about 6 when she was younger but very few and far between since then. To witness that is terrifying.

It's 'nice' (sorry not a good word in the circumstances) to know that somebody else knows what we are giong through and I'm glad that Sheba doesn't have many now, hopefully that will be the same for Sabre, I am dreading having to see it and I know the kids will be devasted if they see it!!

We had a Cairn Terrier that had convulsions (same as a fit). We had her checked, then went back with the information to the breeder. Found out in our Cairn's case, it was genetic. Over her life span, she had four attacks. They would come on without warning, and lasted for no more than five minutes. It's awful to see your dog go through these. Our vet gave us the option of putting her on meds, but really steered us away from doing so, due the infrequent occurance.

OMG Im so sorry to hear that Julie!!!! Poor Sabre I hope he is ok now, are the vets going to do any tests, so they can give you some meds for Sabre to help control the fits. I haven't had any experiance with epilectic dogs so sorry I cant really help you much. My step sister had epilepsy but thats all so all I can say is that it is scary to see an epilectic fit. Ive seen my step sis had one once before and I had no idea what to do and absolutely s**t myself, luckily my dad and step mum (her mum) was there, but I fainted myself and woke up about half an hour later with my dad saying that I backed into a corner and just passed out!

Thanks once again everybody for the lovely messages.

Well, today you wouldn't believe Sabre has had a fit, he is absolutely full of beans! Have just been on a long walk and he is still wanting to play ball, whilst I am shattered.

Well, today you wouldn't believe Sabre has had a fit, he is absolutely full of beans! Have just been on a long walk and he is still wanting to play ball, whilst I am shattered.

Yah, go Sabre:RockOn:

Julie, that's great news. I've noticed when Sheba has them that she recovers quite quickly, usually within 24 hours. I sure hope you don't see this often, but if I were you, I would expect it to happen again at some point and I want you to know that it's terrifying, yes, but also somewhat common in huskies, or so I've read. In other words, it will be ok, should it happen again. It's a tough thing to witness, but it happens.

Julie, that's great news. I've noticed when Sheba has them that she recovers quite quickly, usually within 24 hours. I sure hope you don't see this often, but if I were you, I would expect it to happen again at some point and I want you to know that it's terrifying, yes, but also somewhat common in huskies, or so I've read. In other words, it will be ok, should it happen again. It's a tough thing to witness, but it happens.

Thanks for that. As I said before it's good to hear from other people that have been through this and that it will be OK. It was just such a shock yesterday as Sabre is otherwise so fit and well.

Thanks for that. As I said before it's good to hear from other people that have been through this and that it will be OK. It was just such a shock yesterday as Sabre is otherwise so fit and well.

You're welcome Julie. I've had my baby for almost 10 years. She has been wonderful, heath wise. But in those years, stuff happens, like any other dog. If it happens again, you know where to go.;)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Sabre is doing better! Keisha started having seizures in Feb. She was just over a yr and a half when it happened. She had 8 in a 24 hr period and was put on medication to control them. She had one since then (a month after the first ones) but hasn't had any since. I was training her to be my next guide/service dog and although she is doing great on the medication and was doing really well with the training she can't work anymore out of the house because it's just too dangerous. If she had a seizure while guiding me we could both go off a curb into traffic or anything. She don't realize what she's doing just before a seizure starts. I'm kind of nervous that Duke (the husky I am getting in Sept) will have seizures too. He's Keisha's age and although the vet cleared him for the work he will be doing and he's a fast learner I still can't help but be nervous.

When Keisha was a little puppy (well right until she had the seizures) she would run in little circles a lot and it was really hard to get her attention to get her to stop. I mentioned this to another vet before we moved and he laughed it off as a "puppy thing". I felt pretty foolish for worrying about it. The vet that I took her to when she had the seizures told me that she could have been having small seizures then. Often they will develop into full blown seizures.

Keisha did the same thing as you described and would back away from me when she was able to get up, but after 20 or 30 seconds she would climb into my lap and want to cuddle. The best thing you can do if it happens again (I really hope it don't) is to make sure he don't hurt himself and keep your hands away from his mouth just in case he bites you without realizing it. Good luck!

I hope Sabre is doing better!

Sabre, is fine at the moment. No more fits as yet and at least we will know what to expect if/when he does have more.

Sorry to hear about Keisha but at least the medication seems to be controlling the fits and thanks for the advice.

kodi who is 12 had a fit in december,very scary,torchwood ,he has not had another one,he was put on meds but they had horrible side effects so took him off them,he just suddenly ran into the room,into the wall and fell down an had a fit,lasted a few mins,vet said its worse for us than it is for them,when he came round again i think he was blind for about 30 seconds as well,ive since found out thats quite common, he hasnt been left on his own since..just in case,hope sabre s doin ok now.:)