Hello to all Husky owners

I'm a new, very proud, husky owner. He is a 6 months old male named Leo. He is a lovely dog, very sociable with people and other dogs (every being is his friend) , very stubborn and absolutely independent.

I am very glad to discover this community and to fin here a lot of interesting information. As Leo is our first dog, I always have some questions :).

Welcome Ednya !

Looking forward to hearing all about Leo ( and seeing some pictures of him !).

There are some great people on here who will go out of their way to help with any aspect of owning (or being owned..) by Siberians,so don't be afriad to ask :)

Warm Regards from Hampshire UK,

Kevin & Girls :bullseye:

Hiya Ednya welcome to the Pack and congrats on being OWNED by a husky lol

They such a stunning breed aren't they - on so many levels, i love their independentness and their stubbornness - adds character lol

Where abouts are you from?

Look forward to seeing pictures of Leo and getting to know you both :)

Thank you very much for being so welcoming. The fact that I have your support and your experiences here makes me feel more confident.

And yes, I have to correct myself, we are being owned by a Husky, and everything we are doing it is under his strong supervision :). But I adore them because they are stubborn independent thinkers.

Leo is from Serbia I am from Moldova (living temorarely in Serbia).

Here are some pictures of him.

post-386-13585943297281_thumb.jpg

post-386-13585943297907_thumb.jpg

post-386-13585943298597_thumb.jpg

Leo is a handsome pup! Welcome to the site and hello from the U.S.

This breed is exceptional as you've already discovered - a challenge sometimes, but well worth it! I have a 'golden oldie' - he's pushing 15 years old. I wish you many, many years of fun with Leo!

Many thanks to all of you.

Sometimes I'm thinking about the second one :). Leo doesn't like to be home alone, he will do his best to escape (I think this is his main purpose in life)... I have to mention that I don't leave him alone for more than 2 hours a day and only after a long walk or a play with other dogs. He have learned immediately how to get out of crate. After we decided to enforce the crate door, he destroyed it.

How long are you walking you dogs? I have the impression that our never gets tired. He has a short walk in the morning, a long walk during the day (around 5 km) and in the evening around 1,5 hours play with other dogs or an another long walk.

Here are few videos with him.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=edugud&search_type=&aq=f

Many thanks to all of you.

Sometimes I'm thinking about the second one :). Leo doesn't like to be home alone, he will do his best to escape (I think this is his main purpose in life)... I have to mention that I don't leave him alone for more than 2 hours a day and only after a long walk or a play with other dogs. He have learned immediately how to get out of crate. After we decided to enforce the crate door, he destroyed it.

How long are you walking you dogs? I have the impression that our never gets tired. He has a short walk in the morning, a long walk during the day (around 5 km) and in the evening around 1,5 hours play with other dogs or an another long walk.

Here are few videos with him.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=edugud&search_type=&aq=f

Edyna,

Do you have a fenced in yard? If you do, I would be very careful when letting Leo out there as he will find a way out if possible. Where I used to live, it was fenced in. When she was a pup, she dug her way out on a few occasions. I had to dig along much of the perimeter of my yard to attach screen, and bury it to keep her in the yard.

I walk my dog 15 minutes twice a day as a general rule. I also run with her in my yard and take her on unscheduled long walks from time to time, or I will take her to a park and walk there.

Oh great video's !!

He so playful and boisterous lol

General rule of thumb is 5 mins for ever month in age so Leo's 6 months = 30 mins exercise per day this to ensure they don't damage their growing joints. If he still doesnt seem tired try mental stimulation eg - training, play a game, groom him etc

The more you give them the more they seem to want lol

I've had to put cable ties on the crates now as my boys are like Houdini lol

shedalot, we have a small yard but is not an appropriate one for a Husky. I don't leave him unsupervised over there, he can easily escape but also is digging. He is such a eager digger, if I will leave him home alone, the first thing he will do, will be to dig up the flowers (he is upset). The other day he started to dig a tree we have in the yard, and he was so quick....

I didn't know about this rule, Sarah.

Do you think his joints could suffer because I'm walking him much longer than recommended?

Now I really don't think we can reduce the time to 30 min daily.

I'm glad that you liked the videos :).