sedation!?

23.5 kgs

Nix, i'd tend to agree with Amy, take him for a long walk prior to travelling to tire him out.

Also just make sure that you are the one in control, if you say sit/lie down then make sure he does, else that will be why he jumps around and scrathes you to shreds. It's better to be firm and in control that let him batter you.

Steve

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might work might not but leave then to lyin everyday if you can before you go say 8am sibe's do everything by time eat sleep walk everything well mine do so if you can leave then till 8am then get then up at say 5am they'll look at you as to say fook off am going no-where, take um for a quick walk not far as to wake um to much the might just sleep for you if your going at 6am. Just an idea works with or to ( sometimes ) lol

Might work might not but leave then to lyin everyday if you can before you go say 8am sibe's do everything by time eat sleep walk everything well mine do so if you can leave then till 8am then get then up at say 5am they'll look at you as to say fook off am going no-where, take um for a quick walk not far as to wake um to much the might just sleep for you if your going at 6am. Just an idea works with or to ( sometimes ) lol

that first part is very true Dunc!!!! If I aint down by 5:10am then the boys know they are getting walked during the day about this time actually best get going lol and Gizmo will follow me around. Its the same for meal times and bed times too.

Nix: I would perhaps give Duncs idea a try and see if this does settle Blaze. If you can maybe see if your parents dont mind giving it a go before you go to the caravan, perhaps one day this weekend, with a short car jorney and see if it makes any difference.

I guess we are really lucky with our dogs. They get really excited when we are putting their collars on to go out to the van, but once in their cages, they go straight to sleep and don't wake up until we reach the destination (unless it's a really long journey and we walk them after 2 hour intervals.

Even if we are taking just one or two dogs in the car, once they are in their cage they sleep.

We've never had to sedate any of ours for travelling, but we did once have a Shiba Inu who got over-excited when she showed. We used a herbal remedy - Skullcap and Valerian - which was very effective. Have a look here: http://www.dorwest.com/products.asp?dept=62

Mick

I guess we are really lucky with our dogs. They get really excited when we are putting their collars on to go out to the van, but once in their cages, they go straight to sleep and don't wake up until we reach the destination (unless it's a really long journey and we walk them after 2 hour intervals.

I would say you are very lucky :) my 3 get really excited when we are going somewhere in the car/truck (soon to be a van hopefully) but on the way home they will settle and sleep, usually because they are just shattered from either all the excitement or the long walk.

I'm lucky, my boys are great in the car the just sit and look around or fall asleep :)

having said that - if i'm not up by 6.30am _ EVERY morning to walk them I soon know about it LOL They must have a built in alarm clock that doesn't account for weekend lie ins!!