sedation!?

right we r goin on hol soon (thnx agen sue n dunc lol) quick question obv blaze wnt b able 2 go in bk cuz ov cases so wud it b best 2 sedate the hyperactive pup who will b 10 months by then? (n uve seen how big he is now lol) not sure what 2 do i think sedation wud b best but wanna get sum ppls advice on here 1st so any help will b greatly appreciated :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy, I had a heck of a time trying to read your post. Spelling must be for texting. We would get tranqs from our vet for travel. Otherwise, Benedryl (over the counter) helps make them sleepy. I assume you are not in the US, so don't know if Benedryl is available where you are.

Nix - we used to get something from the vets for one of our dogs a few years ago. She used to be petrified of fireworks and travelling in the car, so the vet gave us some tablets (paracetamol size) to give her and they worked wonders. Just used to make her really calm and relaxed.

Oh boy, I had a heck of a time trying to read your post. Spelling must be for texting. We would get tranqs from our vet for travel. Otherwise, Benedryl (over the counter) helps make them sleepy. I assume you are not in the US, so don't know if Benedryl is available where you are.

sorry yeah its text talk lol yeah we arent in US we r in uk isnt benedryl cough medicine?

My 3 are exactly the same in the car, they know they are going for a long walk! One thing I have leant is that my 3 are much more settled and will sleep the entire jorney when they are tired. WHat time are you planning on leaving home? Perhaps you could take blaze for a walk/run over the field and play with him around the house to tire him out and see if this helps him settle.

I would be devious to sedate him just for a car journey and would use that as a last resort as you would either have to wait until it wore off or would have to give him another injection to bring him back not to mention you would have to moniter him all the time (check his tempertaure, his pulse, breathing, etc).

Another thing I do if we are taking them in the car is I would let them eat 2 hours before travelling so they are more likely to get any food out of their system (i.e. have a wee and poop) before they go in the car. Make sure you make water stops too and let him out to stretch his legs.

If you are looking at using any form of calming remedies I would check with your vet before you buy and just ask for their opinion on they method your going to use on him.

sorry yeah its text talk lol yeah we arent in US we r in uk isnt benedryl cough medicine?

Benedryl is an anti-alergy / anti-histamine which also causes drowsiness. We'd give our last Husky 1 Benedryl when a thunderstorm was active. Otherwise, she was a nervous wreck.

we took dief n taz to wales it was a 4 hour trip, n taz isnt the calmest of dogs lol, so we brought seatbelt clips, that attatch to the harnesses and then into the seatbelt and they worked a treat, took them 2 mins to work out they couldnt leap about , and then they settled down, i wouldnt sedate the dogs for travelling, had some pills for a previous dog to sedate him for grooming, the side effects were not good

• 5 weeks later...

Yea good move nix, Id just talk it all thro with the vets and see what they say.........I'd use sedation as a lost resort tho ;) how does he normally travel? If hes normally calm i'm sure he'll settle soon enough when he realises he's not getting in the back to play!!!!

lol yh do a poll pmsl :P

lucy - deffo not gonna sedate him now hopefully calmin tabs will wrk he is VERY hyper when travelling at the 2nd meet up he wasnt in the boot (n he wnt b on the way 2 holiday) n he didnt sit still once my legs were pretty much ripped 2 shreds scratches everywhere woke up next day covered in bruises aswell so gettin summin 2 calm him down is a must have lol

ot his stuff got a spray which produces sum stuff his mum wud ov produced 2 keep pup calm for small journeys (no more ripped legs on the way 2 a husky meet :D ) and sum tabs for the longer journey - guess his weight :P first 1 2 guess gets.................................................

...................... nuffin lmao