My brothers GSD has nosebleeds

Hes had them almost since he got him obviously not when we picked him or we wouldnt have gotten him but they are not frequent and happen maybe once or at most twice a month. They are usually not alot of blood which led me to beleive maybe he just had a dry nose but today my brothers txt me in a panic saying he woke up and his dog was in a little pool of blood. I asked him if it was still bleeding he said no and I told him if it starts again to put an icepack on it. he hasnt txt me back so far but Ive asked him if the nose is swollen or if his dogs face looks different in any way. He says hes acting happy go lucky as usual. I told him to call the vet asap (ive been telling him all along to get his dog to the vet) I am not familiar with gsd's but is there something in the breed that can lead to nosebleeds? he is "purebred" apparently :P but without papers. any ideas? or..something :S

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an expert on this sort of thing but don't think nosebleeds are ever a good sign - I'd call your vets and if need be take him in.

If he is from a reputable breeders you should be able to contact them and get their advice.

Wish your bro good luck and hope his GSD gets better soon

No I've never heard of it in gsd I've had gsd since I was young and never had one with a nose bleed I would get your brother to take it to the vets asap. Good luck shepherd pup and gsd hugs from hollie

poor pup - no it doesn't sound good - the vet may well want to sedate and insert a camera in the nasal cavity to get a better look and maybe take some biopsy's - make sure he's insured too!

Really hope things pick up xxxxx

aww poor puppy,he really needs checking out asap.

i really dont mean to scare you or your brother ,but,my friends gsd had frequent nose bleeds and it was a tumour

on saying that he was an old boy and your brother's is only a tiny pup so hopefully it wont be that serious

but please get him to get him checked.

Ye he called the vet they said since he can't afford it just to keep and eye on him for being lethargic at all which hes not so I told him to make an appointment for Saturday becasue he gets paid friday and works tomorrow and Friday. And he did not get him from a reputable breeder :P he was impatient and found him in the paper :/ despite all my warnings :P anyways Im making him take him to the vet :P

Good that he's going to the vet...while there's a chance that it COULD be nothing, there's a bigger chance that its an infection of some sort, tumor, or well it could be worse...I dislike doctors in general...but I'm a worry wart about my kidlets and the dogs so they see the doc when there's something wrong...or there's at least a phone call in for advise. In the case of things being majorly wrong things don't generally get better on their own...Your brother may really want to consider getting the pup insurance as others have said.

With medical issues...if you ignore it it won't always just go away. Sometimes that will make it worse. Good on you for making your brother take pup in.

None of Our GSD's have ever had a nosebleed.

Would consult with a vet just to be safe.

So my brother took his dog to the Vet today ( same time as I was there lol) and they said its not anything serious, they are checking him for hemophelia which is common in the breed but they also think it might be from teething? I dont remember how they explained that exactally hes supposed to watch him closley but they said he really does not have anything to worry about at the moment they said hes super healthy and a good looking dog :P hes 47 freeking lbs at 4 1/2 months old :P