Ferrets

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has got/ previously had ferrets? We are getting some in about 6 weeks (see pic below) and need some useful tips about keeping them, etc. I've googled info, but there is only so much you can take it the net. As we all know from being here for our husky's, it's better to get info from those who have had first hand experience.

Thanks in advance.

[ATTACH]11668[/ATTACH]

post-80-13585970381708_thumb.jpg

hi just gave mine away after my husky broke into his cage and tried to eat him .

but they do make good pets need alot of handling when very young to tame them very trainable to litter train and can walk them on leads. down side is they are very smelly. they have a war dance when they get excited looks like they are going to attack you but the one i had was great would run up your leg and sit on your shoulder you can feed them dog and cat food or you can get ferret food or you can feed them meet or even road kill or if you know somone who hunts they will give you some rabbit to feed them

Hi there. We have 2 ferrets :D They make great pets but need a lot of play time out side of their cage. We have a play pen for ours and it kind of connects to the cage so when we are home we just open the doors so they can run in and out. Young ferrets tend to be nippy and bite kind of hard at times. They aren't being mean it's just how ferrets explore the world, with their teeth lmao. You can nip train them so they learn no to bite, or not bite as hard. Ferrets have really tough skin so when they bite and tug on each other it doesn't hurt. Our skin however isn't ferret proof lmao. I would google ferret nip training, that's what we did and got some useful info. Also when they play they are more cat like, they like to jump and pounce at things, including people. Some people get scared when they do this and even think they are attacking them but they aren't. That's just how they play.

Now they are stinky little buggers. They make some squirt stuff to put in their water to help cut back the smell, it works but they still smell lol In 99.9% of cases they should be neutered and descanted when you buy them. It depends on where you live though I think. Some places won't allow ownership of ferrets.

Also don't put them in an area that isn't secure, kind of like a husky haha. If they get lose and get outside you can kiss them goodbye. Sadly they will probably die because they have been domesticated so long their survival instincts are pretty much gone.

Anything else you want to know just ask me and I'll tell you if I know lol

ive had 5 ferrets and they are fantastic pets, very playful, more so i think than a cat... they bounce around and make a clucking sound with arched back when really happy... i had harnesses for mine and took them walks..though like our Huskies they tend to get a lot of attention and a small walk can take a long time lol....... just make sure you handle them everyday... when holding them place hand underneath just behind the front legs and swing them very gently while using other hand to encase them pretty much and stroke down length of body... this techique really does relax them.... they will give you hours of pleasure...i personally dont think they smell as bad as people make out.... just regular hutch cleaning reduces a lot.... Males=Hob, Female=Jill.... and youguns=Kits....

PS: James Wellbeloved do a good ferret food...i fed mine this with occasional other foods

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/ferret_food.aspx

ive had 5 ferrets and they are fantastic pets, very playful, more so i think than a cat... they bounce around and make a clucking sound with arched back when really happy... i had harnesses for mine and took them walks..though like our Huskies they tend to get a lot of attention and a small walk can take a long time lol....... just make sure you handle them everyday... when holding them place hand underneath just behind the front legs and swing them very gently while using other hand to encase them pretty much and stroke down length of body... this techique really does relax them.... they will give you hours of pleasure...i personally dont think they smell as bad as people make out.... just regular hutch cleaning reduces a lot.... Males=Hob, Female=Jill.... and youguns=Kits....

Yeah ours don't seem as stinky now that we've had them for a while. and I love their little weird noises I read its called dooking :erm: Our males is really lazy, our female more adventurous.

I used to have ferrets too, brilliant pets. But they do love stinky feet lol so anyone with stinky toes watch out as they like nipping them lol. Defo get them done too, especially if you have a Jill as when they come into season they HAVE to be mated, even if it is with a snipped male as they can get very ill and die.

alex about a year ago - if u had wanted a ferret then u could have had a free 1! blaze found 1 hiding under our dads car (it STUNK tho) so dad got it out n we had to put it in a box in the garage for the night cuz blaze wanted to eat it n the rspca had to come n get it cuz ferret rescue was full :(

My late neice used to keep them as pets and worked them occasionally, I think ( maybe wrongly) that descenting is illegal or not commonly done in the UK. Kirsty's were very tame with her and fascinating to watch but what a smell and it sticks to everything.

Thanks all for the replies! Loads of useful bits of info there!

I found the jameswellbeloved food last night whilst googling ferret food - seems like a good idea to use that!

Yeah I read last night about Jills having to be mated when in season - so we are definitely getting them both done as soon as they are old enough! We are hoping that at least 2 of the kits are females, as apparently they are easier to keep together than 2 Hobs.

Just got to start work on their enclosure - I was thinking on building my own as it will probably work out cheaper/ safer. I tend to go OTT on things like this when making them escape proof. I had envisioned building a pen approx 5ft long by 2ft wide by 6ft high. Was going to build hutch in the top 2ft with the rest of the enclosure used as a run below, with all different levels, tubes, etc built in.

Do ferrets like to dig? Ive got a plastic container about 1ft square and 6 inches deep, was going to bin it but had second thoughts - it could be useful!

They love to hide in blankets and tubes, mine werent diggers. I kept hobs together with no probs and I know friends who keep some in large groups with no probs. Sometimes either sex just a dislike to living with anyone or just love 1 other in particular. I used to do ferret rehoming visits with a rescue near to me. They make such fun pets and are brilliant as long as well handled from birth. Also dont be tempted to handle with gloves as they get used to it and dont learn not to bite. Quite often they love it when you clap hands at them and it makes them do the ferret dance lol.

i just to let mine run around the garden till i got snowy onece he had had enough he just climbed back in his cage once found him at the front door with my late sbt cuddled up on the door mat lol if they can get there head through somthing they can get the body through and you will be suprised how small a gap they can get through i also used to put mine in a shallow bath he loved it they are a great pet we had loads of laughs with the one i had both for his safty i found him a new home

Mine enjoy digging. We made them a little ball pit and they love to play in it. Just got a box and filled it with plastic play balls. I read not to get rubber toys cause they can chew them up and eat the rubber :/

I’ve read that hobs tend to be more laid back and gentler than Jills. In my experience this is true but I think a lot has to deal with the individual ferret. My hob is a super heavy sleeper and is really chill and laid back. He likes to be held and petted. Our jill is also tame but she wakes up easy and when you pick her up to hold her she likes to move more and look around and explore. Both are great pets though :D

Tip we found useful when nip training. If you have recently eaten wash your hands. If they smell food on your hands they are more likely to bite. Also they tend to sleep quite a lot lol they remind me of humming birds. Full of energy when awake and eat on and off throughout the day cause they have fast metabolisms.

I had 2 hobs together when we kept ferrets. Ours were called Frankie and Benny, they were pretty smelly though. We used to feed them dead quail and chicks, and sometimes the odd chicken that my mate brought from his farm for them. You really do need somewhere they can have a good run about though. We had a huge 10ft x 10ft x 10ft cage/shed in the back of the garden (infact its still there). That had lots of tunnels and hammocks (they love to sleep in hammocks) and their hutch with lots of blankets in.

Mine had a ballpool and lots of toys as they are very adventurous. We also used to take them out to the park with a harness on a lead.

Will share lots of pics with you to give you an idea....

post-7391-13586074957663_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13585972016361_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13585972016747_thumb.jpg

post-3555-1358597201712_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13585972017435_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13585972017765_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13585972018109_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13585972018443_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13585972018811_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13585972019196_thumb.jpg

post-3555-1358597201957_thumb.jpg

post-3555-1358597201996_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13585972020348_thumb.jpg

post-3555-1358597202069_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

[OT Sorta] Mongooses <mongeese?> are in the same family and when I was in VietNam we had one that ran around the rafters (the cubicles were open for ventilation) people would toss him peanuts / popcorn / whatever and even though he was wild he was friendly / playful. Drifting off to sleep one night I heard this gawdawful scream, everyone grabs weapons (this was RVN in the 70's, remember) and heads toward the hooch the scream came from. Found one soldier, white as a sheet, pissed and just a bit of a wreck! Seems as if he'd been laying in bed, reading and eating peanuts (crack, crack went the shells!) when he was attacked from "upstairs" by the mongoose who just dropped straight down on him from the rafters. just wanted his share, I guess! Don't know what happened to the mongoose, he was around for a couple more days and then he "left?"

The soldier, btw, never could get out a decent answer to "eaten any peanuts in bed lately?"

I'd love to get a mongoose, ferrets just leave me kinda cold though ...