when should we.....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both our breeder, our breeder's vet, and our vet say to make the switch from puppy food to adult food between the 12th and 13th month of age. Siberian Huskies do not reach full development until sometime between 12 and 18 months.

Right now im feeding Chewbacca Eukanuba...because I want to get better food but the islands jack up the price pretty bad...

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A HEALTHIER FOOD THAT I CAN ORDER WITHOUT SPENDING ABOUT $60 IN SHIPPING?

I WANTED TO DO "THE HONEST KITCHEN" FOOD FOR PUPPIES BUT THE SHIPPING COST MORE THAN THE FOOD...LOL.

Right now im feeding Chewbacca Eukanuba...because I want to get better food but the islands jack up the price pretty bad...

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A HEALTHIER FOOD THAT I CAN ORDER WITHOUT SPENDING ABOUT $60 IN SHIPPING?

I WANTED TO DO "THE HONEST KITCHEN" FOOD FOR PUPPIES BUT THE SHIPPING COST MORE THAN THE FOOD...LOL.

I might be able to help...where do you live?

12 and 18 months is about the right age but it does vary from pup to pup depends on size and activity if switched to early you can find they will get stomach problems.

Exactly what i was told, your sibe is still a puppy until 2 years >> he still needs the puppy food until he is around 18 months - 2 years >> Their joints and bones are still supple and growing so in order for them to grow fully i am feeding puppy food until their 2, reccamended by good vets (not ones that want to make more money 'cos their adult bags cost more!), other sibe owners, breeders of large dogs and my local pet shop...

What food have you got him on nix? 'cos the food we feed: James Wellbeloved, has a puppy food, a junoir food, an adult food, a large kibble adult food for big dogs and a senoir one:

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog/duck__rice_kibble/ingredients__analysis/junior_performance.aspx

I was told to feed junoir from the ages of 6mnths - 1 years >>> it's a large variation as the packet says it can be switched at 6 months, but breeders and owners of large dogs like to wait until 1 year to switch to junoir >>> we did switch to junoir at 6 months but they got a bit skinny and they were still eating the same, so i think the puppy has a few more vital fats for hyper puppies! So here's what we are doing:

We buy 2 big bags every 1-2months of puppy turkey and junoir fish and we mix them together..adding more puppy, and then when they are 1 years we will feed junoir and add a little puppy, and then 2 years they can have large breed/bite kibble ;)

But i would highly reccamend at least putting him on a junoir and not an adult as he is not classed as an adult yet, so wont be getting all he needs from the food;)

I would recommend at work for this type of dog to be feed on a puppy food until 18mths, as then they should have finished growing. I have seen dogs switched earlier that tend to have problem maintaining their weight as they are not getting enough nutrients from the adult food and start stealing food etc.

Hello Ice and Cripton...LOL

I live in Hawaii. (on Oahu). I was going to order two boxes of honest kitchen food because It has really good healthy ingredients...but the one store that has it here wants $70 per box...so I then looked to order it online but they wanted a lower price and excessive shipping...

Im going to look up the barf diet that was mentioned but if it requires fish....as Im thinking it does...Im not sure I would want to start that yet. The islands are obviously a great place for the availability to buy fish...but not reasonable enough on prices to buy it all the time. We will see though.

Hello Ice and Cripton...LOL

I live in Hawaii. (on Oahu). I was going to order two boxes of honest kitchen food because It has really good healthy ingredients...but the one store that has it here wants $70 per box...so I then looked to order it online but they wanted a lower price and excessive shipping...

Im going to look up the barf diet that was mentioned but if it requires fish....as Im thinking it does...Im not sure I would want to start that yet. The islands are obviously a great place for the availability to buy fish...but not reasonable enough on prices to buy it all the time. We will see though.

You don't have to feed fish, it's a Bones And Raw Food diet so chicken wings, frames, necks, hocks, etc all raw can be fed :)

Thats what I was thinking...not alot of beef...but he loves it. Every time Im cooking beef he goes bonkers. LOL

I def will try turkey and chicken though because alot of food that is supposed to be appetizing must not be because he turns his nose up! LOL

So far I mix in beef wet food, 1 egg, and some cheese with his eukanuba puppy food...but I wasnt sure I should do that more than once every couple of days. Im considering adding a bit of brown rice but havent decided yet.

Basically I use 1 cup dry eukanuba, 1 can beef food, 1 egg, and 2 slices of cheese. he likes it alot that way.

Is it ok to do this every day?

I would give one or the other maybe kibble with an egg and the beef? Or kibble with cheese? That way you don't give as many calories per meal as sibes can put on weight quite easily.

When changing food, always make sure you monitor what comes out after - not a nice thought i know but a good way to ensure your dog is absorbing his / her food properly :)