when should we.....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ice and Cripton...LOL

I live in Hawaii. (on Oahu). I was going to order two boxes of honest kitchen food because It has really good healthy ingredients...but the one store that has it here wants $70 per box...so I then looked to order it online but they wanted a lower price and excessive shipping...

Im going to look up the barf diet that was mentioned but if it requires fish....as Im thinking it does...Im not sure I would want to start that yet. The islands are obviously a great place for the availability to buy fish...but not reasonable enough on prices to buy it all the time. We will see though.

Hi lol .. can you get chicken suop for dog lovers soul over there for a godd price? i wanted this kibble but the shipping was too much, also James wellbeloved is a good food. I'll keep you posted...im still looking!

ok so like...

Meal one: eukanuba, beef, egg

Meal 2: eukanuba, cheese, brown rice??

The issue Im having is he doesnt really eat enough food unless I add something tasty...lol

Well he sounds like my first sibe..spoilt lol, she used only eats stuff if it had tinned fish in it or meat, and even then she would completely ignore the dry food. It's a common and fun game for a sibe: "lets see how long my owner will hold out until i get the good stuff!" :rolleyes: People forget they were bred to run on very low fuel, Alaska was only 3 months and she didn't eat a thing for 3 days in protest before she caved in and wolfed down her dry food:o. You see after a while the animal instinct kicks in >>> they need to survive which = eating.

My best advice would be to first get him to eat dry food plain 2wice a day, he shouldn't dictate to you what he should eat, or it will get worse and worse, one day you'll put fresh chicekn down for him and he will turn his noise up at it >> believe me...it's happened!!! If they are eating kibble i leave the bowl down for 5mins, even if they are still eating i take it away >> it traines them to appreciate and make the most of their food, now at 11 months my two eat in 4 mins! When it's raw bones they get all the time they need >> dont want them choking on them. And if he just looks at it and then looks at you as if to say "you dont really expect me to eat that do you?" >>> leave it down for a few seconds >> then take it away and leave him to be hungry until the next meal.

A few tips:

-exercise.exercise.excerise >> nakker the little guy out and he will be so hungry he'll eat whatever.

-no table scraps >> in fact no human scraps at all >> and that goes for all the whole family

-no "aww poor little guy looks starved!" >> NO he doesn't, he's put out because he's not getting what he wants;)

-always feed 30 mins after a walk or run

-dont over treat him >> dont stuff him with bones and treats before meals

-when he's done eating, praise him and give him a small doggy treat >> we gie them a salmon burger >> just a small crunchy treat

-always try and keep to a time to feed him __ so we will say either from 1-3pm and then 5-7pm >> tou can deviate but not so it's all over the place, puppies need consistance.

I have to say getting another sibe helped, Balto (Alaska's bro) is sooo greedy, Alaska never takes advantage of a meal. But before we got Balto, Alaska still ate, sometimes when they refuse, all you can do is shrug your shoulders, pick up the food and go on as normal, he will soon learn.

And remember my little Alaska was only a baby and she held out for 3 days, and then ate the bare minimum, so it takes time, but soon he will understand, when you put the food down, not only is that ALL he is getting, but it will only be there for 5 mins;)

Now the Barf diet is a great idea, I feed 2 cups of kibble at luchtime, 2 cups of kibble at dinner time and then after the kibble some raw...here's a useful link: http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/

The best meat to start off with is chicken >> red meats should come a week or two after, and organs should be fed at 6 months onwards >>> Here's what you can feed raw:

-chicken legs

-chicken thighs

-chicken necks

-chicken backs

-whole baby chicken (an adult chicken is too big for now:))

-lamb back

-lamb neck

-lamb shanks

-fatty lamb cuts >> they use it for mince

-turkey legs

-turkey necks

-turkey back

-baby turkey whole (with skin)

Beef:

-tongue

-cuts

The organs which you can feed chopped:

-lambs heart

-chicken heart

-turkey heart

I dont feed liver as it is too rich in iron and gives them the runs:confused:

I went to this huge pet shop today and stocked up on bags of raw frozen; tipe, minced beef, lamb, rabbit and chicken. I also bought the blocks of white fish and turkey and tripe >> i tend to mix the minced stuff and the blocks with their kibble >> the kibble gets slathered in meat and they literally inhale it!! All pet shops sell the raw, frozen variety >> and it's all 100% fresh meat, and then frozen.

Things i add weekly:

-1 egg (i add only once a week because too much calcium can cause rapid growth in the joints and bones and this can cause really bad problems)

-A few spoonfuls of natural bio yogart >> for easy digestion

-Vegtables >> they dont need a lot of veggies but adding some in here and there help >> even wolves snack of plants and berries:

-peas

-carrots

-cauliflower

-broccoli

-A few spoonfuls of extra vergin, cold pressed olive oil >> does wonders for the coat

-If i feed an oragn like heart >> that's all they are gettin in that week >> oragn wise, it's never too good to add something to limitations where it is too concentrated for their body >> does them more harm than good.

'Cos mine are 11 months now, they are eating the raw food whole as well >> they they get baby rabbit whole, baby chicken whole, fresh fish whole..and they love it:p

Why not put a thread up in the health and training section on it and I will make it as a sticky??

could have one dedicated post on it then??

That's a really good idea, then i can just give them the link >> of course you do relise this will be sucking all the joy i get from babbling about raw?? :P Im a zombie now, so i'll have to do it over the weekend ...lol :rolleyes: