Huskies and cats

Phoebe

When I mention to people that I am getting a husky, the first thing they often say is 'It will kill your cats!!"

Now, there was the same reaction to our getting a German Shepherd, but Tanner has been wonderful with our cats since we taught him from the beginning that cats are NOT toys. Our youngest cat, Hudson, and Tanner are actually good friends, lol - they sleep together! Got Hudson as a kitten when Tanner was about a year old, so we had a good introduction that way.

However (and I know all dogs are different), how concerned should I be with a husky and my cats? Since Sasha is a puppy and since Tanner is good with the cats, I am hoping Sasha learns from Tanner how to act around the cats.

**Guess I should clarify - Hudson is the only one of our 3 cats that will show his face when Tanner is inside. The other 2 disappear into the house and only come out after they hear us let Tanner out, lol**

Now, Tanner is NEVER around our cats unsupervised, and the same will go for Sasha. I am not naive enough to think "nothing could ever happen", but how fearful should I be?

Anyone here have huskies and other pets that would normally be seen as prey to a husky?

A pic of Tanner and Hudson is below!

Thanks! :)

tanner_hudson18.jpg

tannerpup1.jpg

Are you getting a puppy or an older dog?

It is possible for pups to grow up with cats and to regard them as part of the family "pack" - Monster (below) grew up with cats and has never had a problem with "her" cats:

Moni_c1_small.jpg

However, no matter how civilised she is with "her" cats, other peoples' cats are still regarded as lunch.

Even if they do appear to get on well, I would suggest never taking the risk of leaving them alone in the house together - it is tempting fate a little too much.

We also knew someone whose husky got on really well with their cat for 5 years. Then one day they came home and found the cat dead - killed by the husky.

Mick

We are getting a puppy - about 12 weeks old.

I was thinking that growing up with the cats would be helpful, but like you said, I would never leave the 2 unattended. Play can easily become too rough, or instinct can kick in and suddenly instead of "my friend" the sibe could see "my dinner" lol.

Tanner is never alone with the cats, so we would never leave Sasha alone with them either. If we are not there to supervise, it is always crate or outside time!

Thanks for the advice!

the only other pet we have is a rabbit and he lives in a cage in the kitchen. ice is 16 weeks old and will sit and stare at him all the time. i would never trust ice with the rabbit out of the cage even tho all i think she wants to do is play.

we have 2 cats and a now 5 month old pup...the cats rule the roost, Eika (our pup) is scared of Mistletoe (the bully!) if Mist makes one step towards Eika, she runs a mile, but comes back to try and 'play'...they are never left alone together, like if we go out...in the house they will often be in the same room while i go in the kitchen etc...Holly our other cat was traumatised by my PIL dogs, so she just keeps well clear.

To be quite honest...I have only ever known one Husky to kill a cat...and he was 2 years old beforte he ever saw one. We have 4 cats living with us and Chewie loves to try and play with them....and he's never been the least bit aggressive with them...not even when My older cat hissed at him. It is always good to introduce them properly though, so they recognize cats as a part of the family.

Thanks Sarah! I could flood the board with Tanner pics, but since this isn't a GSD site, I am holding back, lol.

dont worry i post pics up ov Bing my cross breed all the time! (i even enter him in the comps except the husky ov the month 1) and he ent got no husky in him (tho he is now an honorary husky after bein the only one at the meet up who actually howled lol)

When we got Micha at eight weeks of age we had a cat who was almost 18 years old - and he didn't take shit from anyone dogs included! So Mish learnt from a young age that our cats are to be respected (and feared...lol).

Since Puss passed away we have introduced two kittens to the house (we only have one cat now) and Micha was fine with them. I would trust him with our cat but not with others unless I bought one into the house 'my way'. Micha loves our cat Shandi and Shandi acts like a dog, she loves the dogs but hates other cats - go figure! She's a big cat too (about 6kg) and won't take any crap from the dogs either. She has pushed Micha out of the way to eat his food and he just stood there like 'Um... excuse me, Shandi, um, I think that's my food - um actually that's my mistake, it's yours, you have it' LOL!!

I have also come outside to see her sleeping in his bed and Mish sleeping on the floor!

And sometimes they sleep together :)

michalovescats2.jpg

michalovescats.jpg

She has pushed Micha out of the way to eat his food and he just stood there like 'Um... excuse me, Shandi, um, I think that's my food - um actually that's my mistake, it's yours, you have it' LOL!!

I have also come outside to see her sleeping in his bed and Mish sleeping on the floor!

And sometimes they sleep together :)

LOL !!

awww poor Micha xx