Hello from Long Island New York (USA)

Hi everyone,

I am new here and have been trying to familiarize myself with the site. I am extremely lucky to have not only one truly terrific husky but two. Huskys have always been mine and my husbands dream dog, but here on long island they are way too expensive and we could never afford one. Last year was our lucky year and we found Cain (Our black & white with blue eyes) in january for 450.00 and only 3 hours away from our home. Of course we took the drive and fell in love immediately. He actually came with his first set of shots and papers. He is so smart and pretty well trained and willing to try anything so we have taught him how to swim and tube behind our boat. We really wanted to also have a red and white but knew we were lucky to just have Cain. Well in December of last year my husband found Frankie (our red & white with blue eyes) in the newspaper for 500.00 and on Long Island. Of course we took the drive and again love at first site and Frankie came home with us at 7 weeks old (no papers or shots, but who cared we found what we have always dreamed about). Frankie is in the process of training and the funniest thing is that Cain is helping us to do it (If Frankie will not sit for us Cain pushes on his rearend with his paw to make him sit). The two boys are now brothers and very protective of each other. We take them everywhere we go and as long as the weather is nice we take them to the dog park by us everyday so they can run and play and get the exercise they need. People told us we were crazy to get a husky when we first got Cain because they feel that huskys are known to run away and be escape artist and can never be taken off of a leash, but my two boys have proven them wrong. It's funny to hear the comments people make when they see them off leash. Alot of people think that they have escaped from their owners until they hear us call them to us and they come running and then they realize that they are with us and not run aways.We have already decided that we will always make sure that we always have a husky living with us. I would love to meet other husky owners from Long Island and have meet ups so our huskys can play together. Anyone from the Long Island area who is interested please let me know. Our dog park is pretty big and we are looking for other places to take our boys where they can run and play.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome to the site :)

Your sibes are both really handsome guys and Im glad to hear you made your dream a reality :)

Would love to see some videos of Cain helping you train Frankie :D

Look forward to seeing you around the sit and hope you make many friends and play mates for your boys.

Enjoy the site and feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversation.

Hi! And welcome to the site!

A word of caution though. It is a EXTREMELY RARE Sibe that can be let off lead or is not an escape artist and this cannot be trained out of them. As young pups most are very well behaved and will stick around you on walks and such. Then when they hit a year to a year and a half old they will wake up one day and realize that they are Sibes and then all bets are off! Even just opening a door can be enough to be enough temptation to run and can get a Sibe killed. It happened to someone we are acquainted with a couple of days ago whose Sibe bolted out the door and into the street. The boy was about 2 years old. They were first time Husky parents who rescued him from the pound a couple of weeks ago and had quickly found themselves in over their heads.

So much for my rant.

Again, welcome!

Welcome to the site!

Phil W: Amigo and Bella are walking out of lead and i have no problems with them. They never escaped, and I'm sure that they will never escape.

I stand by my comment. As I said it is a rare Husky that does not have these traits or urges. It has bred in to them over eons. In the 25 years that I have had Huskies I have only had 1 that could half way be trusted in a non-secure area. And he wondered off twice. Once when someone let him out of my fenced yard and the other when a hurricane struck us and he got scared and jumped the fence as I was trying to get him in the house. I have spoken to many other people who have the level of experience or more that I have and only one has had a Husky that did not escape and or run if given a chance.

Believe me, when the urge hits them, they can and will take off. Don't ever let your guard down. Just because they didn't do it last week, yesterday or today, tomorrow is another day and opportunity.

Every dog has his personality, and i think that training is everything. Yes, it's rare, but not impossible. I think i know my dogs verry well and the connection between us is very big so as to can say undoubtedly what my dogs will do/not do in the future. I gave for example Amigo and Bella; on contrary, we can't let Ice out of lead. They have different personalities, and this is why we love them!

Every dog has his personality, and i think that training is everything. Yes, it's rare, but not impossible. I think i know my dogs verry well and the connection between us is very big so as to can say undoubtedly what my dogs will do/not do in the future. I gave for example Amigo and Bella; on contrary, we can't let Ice out of lead. They have different personalities, and this is why we love them!

I agree, training is about the dog's individual personality more than it is about their breed.

I never say never when it comes to training because I know people who have taught and proofed a 100% reliable recall in their Sibes, and behaviourists who have shown owners how to do it. It's not easy, but it's not impossible if you work with the dog's instincts and not against them.

Thank you to everyone for their concerns and comments. It really is appreciated and for any other husky I might agree, but I too believe it's all in the personality. Bitbulls are known for attacking unprovoked and alot have, but I know people who have owned Pitbulls all their lives and their dogs are timid and won't even fight back if provoked.We have worked with Cain since he was 9 weeks old and Frankie since he was 7 weeks old. They have become our children and respond to us like that. Like I said we can have Cain at the dog park running and playing, but if we shout Cain come he will stop what he is doing and come to us. It's part of his personality. He is a very sweet obediant dog and always seems to do anything he can to please us. We actually had him at the dog park today and a friend of ours who has a 6 year old white husky was saying that he can't get his husky to come to him when called. The dog will come to him when he is tired and wants to go home. We do have one of those static collars that can either use a high pitch sound or in a worse case scenario give him a static shock that we do put on them when they are off leash, but we do not have to use them. They respond to our voices quite well. I too would be devastated if anything happened to either one of my babies so the collars are just an added precaution. We continue to work with both of our boys everyday and have taught them many commands. We always know where both of them are at all times and will never turn our backs on them, so right now we are comfortable with them being off leash while they are outside with us. Thank you again everyone.

Huskies are a very intelligent breed contrary to what that stupid list that just came out said. The only breed I saw on it that I feel could come close to a Huskies intelligence level is the Border Collie. That's the problem. They can think for themselves .... and do. Again, this was bred into them over the years. It is instinctive to them. You have to be smarter than the Husky and most people aren't, myself included.:banghead: Our kids are constantly coming up with new ways of driving us crazy. A Husky can be trained to do anything. Usually in three to four repetitions they will have the command down pat. After that, unless they see a point (treat etc) in doing the action that mom or dad wants they may or may not do it.It depends on how they feel about it at the time. Even a treat may not be a sure thing though most of the time it can be. I know a couple of professional obedience trainers who have Huskies who are very well trained. And they will never let their dogs off lead in a non-secure area.

You have not said what the ages of your Huskies are but they do look kind of young. As I said in an earlier post, as pups they are well behaved and attentive to the owner. That will change (usually) at between a year and a year and a half of age. This is not an absolute. It can happen before or after this age. This is why there are so many of this age bracket in rescue.

I agree with you in that they all have different personalities, and this is why we love them. But I also know that living with a Husky is like living with a two year old who will always act like a two year old.

Ultimately, I guess what it boils down to is whether or not you are willing to take your Husky out off lead in a non-secure area and in doing so risking your Husky's life unnecessarily. All it takes is a split second of inattention on the owner's part. And it is the Husky that pays the price.

And Thanks Dunc!

Ultimately, I guess what it boils down to is whether or not you are willing to take your Husky out off lead in a non-secure area and in doing so risking your Husky's life unnecessarily. All it takes is a split second of inattention on the owner's part. And it is the Husky that pays the price.

I do off leash training with my husky and he has a pretty damn good recall, the times I let him off leash are times that I know without fail he will obey. If I had the time to put the effort in I have no doubt I could get 100% recall under any distraction, he is just that kind of dog.

Sorry I just get really offended by comments like 'you are risking their life'. Nothing I do in my training is risking my dog's life, and I know my dog better than anyone on an internet forum will. I would never just let my dog off leash and hope for the best. The training I use works with the dog's drive not against it.

As much as I always tell new comers to Sibes that they are not a breed to do off leash work with, in reality while I think it is difficult it is not, IMO, impossible.

(and, btw, my dog is 6 1/2 years old :) )

Sorry I just get really offended by comments like 'you are risking their life'. Nothing I do in my training is risking my dog's life, and I know my dog better than anyone on an internet forum will. I would never just let my dog off leash and hope for the best.

There's the point! :beerchug:

I do off leash training with my husky and he has a pretty damn good recall, the times I let him off leash are times that I know without fail he will obey. If I had the time to put the effort in I have no doubt I could get 100% recall under any distraction, he is just that kind of dog.

Sorry I just get really offended by comments like 'you are risking their life'. Nothing I do in my training is risking my dog's life, and I know my dog better than anyone on an internet forum will. I would never just let my dog off leash and hope for the best. The training I use works with the dog's drive not against it.

As much as I always tell new comers to Sibes that they are not a breed to do off leash work with, in reality while I think it is difficult it is not, IMO, impossible.

(and, btw, my dog is 6 1/2 years old :) )

I am sorry you feel offended. But I get highly offended every time I hear or read about a Husky who gets killed of injured because their human let them out off lead or otherwise escape. And as far as I am concerned the off lead thing is totally preventable. All it takes is a split second for them to see a cat etc, have the prey drive instinct kick in and run after it. I know of too many cases of this happening with fatal results. Maybe in your areas there is not much car traffic but in this country there is. And many Huskies, as well as other breeds, are hurt or killed every day. They can also meet other fates as well. I know of many Sibes being shot for being around someone's property and livestock. And as I said in an earlier post I just heard of a Husky that bolted through a door and hit by a car and killed a couple of days ago. The shame of it is, he bolted through the same door and across the same street the day before. He made it that time. I would say that this was preventable.

Y'all may have three exceptional Sibes who don't need to be on lead.

All I am saying is that in my 25 years of experience with the breed and and talking with many other people with vast experience with our wonderful breed that only two of us can say that we had one that could be out of a secure area off lead (and I would never have taken Aileron out for a walk off lead even though he would an did stay in my yard unsecured sometimes). And with 125+ huskies between us, I don't think that is very good odds.

Hence why I do drive training Phil.

You don't work against a dog's instincts but you work with them.

I actually find prey or food driven dogs far easier to work with than dogs with minimal or no drive, imagine capturing the amazing focus a dog has when it catches sight and gives chase to a prey item, you train in a way that gets that same drive and focus. The dog learns to satisfy it's drive by obeying the commands you give them.

Anyway I'm not going to delve into detail about it, except to say I'm not the kind of person who lets my dog off the leash just to see what he will do. If you have never done proper recall training or training that works with your dogs drive/s, why would you expect reliable compliance?

I have had him doing a perfect sit stay and recall off leash at our local sports oval, when there are people playing foot ball, crowds cheering, kids and dogs running around and had 100% perfect obedience. It has nothing to do with luck, it has to do with how I understand his drives and temperament and work with those instincts.

I'm am sorry if I started an argument as to off leash or on. I did not mean to. Like Smeagle said though we have also worked with our boys everyday. We do have rabbits, cats and squirrels around here and started off with them on leash and the command leave it. Once we knew they would not chase them we got a leash that would allow them to go farther but still be in our control and continued to work with them as to no and leave it, until we knew that they would not chase the animals. They do stand there and stare but will not go near them. They were not allowed to be off leash until we knew that they would not chase the animals. We do not allow them to be off leash if we are crossing a busy street either (That would be insane), but they are allowed to be off leash on our property as well as at the beach and the park up the block and if we walk around the block. They are trained to walk our property line but stop at our neighbors property line and again they would never be allowed to be outside without one of us being out there with them. I grew up with 150 dogs (my father had a dog kennel and we showed, bred, sold, & obediance trained dogs). My boys are way too important to me to do anything that would make me lose them. We also put the electric collar on them when they are off leash as an added precaution just in case, but do not use it. I know huskys need to be worked with everyday and that is exactly what we are doing. Our boys are given alot of time and effort into making them what they are today. Cain is 1 1/2 years and Frankie is 5 months old, I know they are young, but they are also extremely smart and really respond to all of the love and attention we give them.

Welcome aboard my friend!... I am also owned by two huskies, and they have been professionally trained (I learned from the trainer how to be the best pack leader, but since I didn't know enough to train them myself, I got help)... they have perfect recall and I too, enjoy our walks off leash... however, I'm quite particular about where mine go off-leash... we don't have a dog park or a safe enough area around (far from roads) so, they will be leashed while walking around our block or on the parks we have close by...but!... when we go to the trail, they go unleashed... never had a problem, even with people riding their bikes and other dogs walking around, or with the scent of deer, cats or only gosh know what else... I call, they respond, they get highly praised.

Like all husky moms and pops here, I love my kids way too much to even consider risking their lives... actually, my biggest concern isn't them, but other humans. For example, just yesterday we went for a ride and stopped to get something from the store, I left the back windows of the car down for them while I got the items from the store... I come out few minute later (only had two items.. bread and milk) to find three people near my car, looking at Nina and Shiloh, all GA-GA about them. As soon as I got the door opened, two of them took few steps back and complained that I should never just open the car door like that while I have "dangerous looking dogs" in that can escape and hurt someone... I took a deep breath and place the items in the car, then turned and with the door wide open, just told them my huskies did as commanded by me and they in fact, would attack on command too!... of course, I was refering to the "tongue attack", but it was way too much fun leaving that little fact out!... only then, they approached the car and pet them, one person told me they looked so aggresive, so we talked for few minutes about the difference between looks and behavior.... I strongly believe if you put an effort and, like in my case, seek professional help if don't know how to do it, our huskies do have the potential to do anything... don't even think about letting them drive or cook, ok?... I would love to have them vacuum their own messes though!...

Please know that you did not start an argument, you posted a question... we will express ourselves based on our experiences, which may not (must times are not) as other husky owners' .... we are all good!... no hard feelings, just strong opinions!

Again, welcome to the forum!... I'm looking forward to many wonderful photos of your pooches!!!

Sandy, Nina and Shiloh!....

Please know that you did not start an argument, you posted a question... we will express ourselves based on our experiences, which may not (must times are not) as other husky owners' .... we are all good!... no hard feelings, just strong opinions!

well said :)