At Wit's End.

I've kinda disappeared from the forum, it seems.

I'm back again, hopefully with problems you all can advise.

I have moved to a bigger house with a big fenced in yard for Kira.

Kira is now 10mo old as of yesterday. She's been alot better about pottying outside, she seems to only potty inside when she is left alone downstairs.

However, I've been having a lot worse problems now than her pottying habbits.

Last week, my mother brought home a 2mo old cockapoo named Priscilla. Pris is just over 3lbs.

Kira.. I don't know how much she weighs but as you can imagine at LEAST 10-13x that.

As you can probably imagine, it's absolutely horrifying trying to let them play together.

I don't want to separate them, but I feel as though I have no other choice unless both dogs are restrained by leashes, which seems for me to do on my own.

Kira has become extremely aggressive towards me when I try to protect Pris from Kira's wrath.

Tonight Pris was drinking from her waterbowl, so Kira came over and started eating out of her foodbowl, and just.. SNAPPED on Pris.

Pris tinkled she was so scared.

Kira killed a bird last week, after having it in her mouth for a few seconds, I can't fathom what she would do to Pris if I wasn't quick enough.

Kira has started snapping at me everytime I try to stop her from doing something or anytime I don't please her period .

I have become absolutely petrified of her because she hurts me when she plays, and the pain is 20x worse when she's serious.

I don't know what to do, or why she has become this way.

But it's taking a toll on me.

:'(

Please help.

Absolutely separate her from the pup NOW. A tiny puppy like that can look like prey to a highly prey driven dog. My dogs are well trained and friendly and even then I still keep them separated from a pup whenever I bring one home, the size difference makes it too risky even if they are being friendly.

Ensure that you do not let Kira around the pup at ANY time when there are resources around she might guard - food, toys, water etc - I'm not recommending that as a training method or solution but the situation has to be managed and any opportunity for Kira to show aggression avoided whilst you address the issues you are having with her.

At what times would she act aggressively towards you? How much do you think is aggression and how much do you think is her playing roughly/lack of manners? What day to day training do you do with Kira?

You definitely need to keep them separated. But just as importantly you need to get some help with Kira's aggression. If you are afraid of her you are going to struggle to get her to listen to what you say as she will sense that you are scared. I would recommend seeking help from a professional dog trainer as aggression is not something to play around with.

Good luck and I hope you can sort Kira's behaviour out. It might be a case that these two dogs just aren't going to get along. Dogs can be like people in the respect that some just don't get along.

You definitely need to keep them separated. But just as importantly you need to get some help with Kira's aggression. If you are afraid of her you are going to struggle to get her to listen to what you say as she will sense that you are scared. I would recommend seeking help from a professional dog trainer as aggression is not something to play around with.

Good luck and I hope you can sort Kira's behaviour out. It might be a case that these two dogs just aren't going to get along. Dogs can be like people in the respect that some just don't get along.

I agree completely with Rachel u cant mess about with aggression she could seriously hurt u or any1 who enters ur house at the end of the day its ur house an ur rules ur top dog so this problem needs sorting and quickly. What is she like when u take her out is she aggressive 2 and how is she with the pup outside?

Good luck hope u get things sorted

xXx

Practice cant get something for nothing. Make her sit anytime that she wants something. Do NOT free feed. Feed at certain time each day. Must sit and wait to eat. Build up to it. Start with 5 seconds, ten etc. This shows that you have control over major resources esp food.

http://www.dogobedie..._aggression.php

http://www.dogobedie..._aggression.php

http://www.squidoo.c...ogaggressionnow

It doesn't sound like they were introduced properly

Prey drive isd always an issue with when it comes to smaller animals Where as being spayed can change a lot of things The biggest problem here is you are afraid of you're own dog and she knows this an its why she is turning on you an being spayeed will not change that fact.

Firmness should have been key from day 1 to putting her in her place and correcting her straight away.

Food is almost every dogs protection point if you can maintain ur presence over food you are half way there as apposed to starting with physical go for mental domination if she growls at you around food or shows teeth an growls u need to stand you're ground dont jolt back do not back down they can't stay angry for ever you need to make what she thinks is her's your's

Once a dog not just a husky dominates its aggression will show because it knows you fear it an wont challenge her for it.

What are you doing at the moment for this?

With regards to the little dog once you claim she is urs as well but for now do it in stages as above keep seperate

as having complete controll over her food she will learn her place with in you're pack...

Confidence is you're key here for definate.. What are you're exercise habbits as well with her? and do you treat the new member differently as one rule applys to all as husky's get very jealouse.

It doesn't sound like they were introduced properly

Prey drive isd always an issue with when it comes to smaller animals Where as being spayed can change a lot of things The biggest problem here is you are afraid of you're own dog and she knows this an its why she is turning on you an being spayeed will not change that fact.

Firmness should have been key from day 1 to putting her in her place and correcting her straight away.

Food is almost every dogs protection point if you can maintain ur presence over food you are half way there as apposed to starting with physical go for mental domination if she growls at you around food or shows teeth an growls u need to stand you're ground dont jolt back do not back down they can't stay angry for ever you need to make what she thinks is her's your's

Once a dog not just a husky dominates its aggression will show because it knows you fear it an wont challenge her for it.

What are you doing at the moment for this?

With regards to the little dog once you claim she is urs as well but for now do it in stages as above keep seperate

as having complete controll over her food she will learn her place with in you're pack...

Confidence is you're key here for definate.. What are you're exercise habbits as well with her? and do you treat the new member differently as one rule applys to all as husky's get very jealouse.

I agree with keath i have always made my dog sit an wait for food an hav always taken it off them half way thro an hav never had a problem this seriously need nippin in the bud if they were in the wild unless they were top dog they wouldnt eat unless they were aloud 2 the same principle applies here food is ur biggest key with dogs an any aggression ov food need dealin with

xXx

Yes, Def seperate the dogs, and then start Kira on training of how to properly greet, play with and treat you. It sounds as though she needs to now

go back and start over. It sounds to me as though she is challenging you, to see if you will continue to back down and let her do as she pleases. If

she is making the motions as if she will attack you then you may want to hire a reputable trainer who can come and show you how to retrain her in

person. Also, from now on do not pat her, give her treats, toys, etc...unless she is sitting or laying down, make her do something to get something.

What kind of training were you doing with her in the begining? clicker, treat training, leash training, etc? whatever you started with, go back

to that and make it solely positive for her. There are several things you can do to help her, but We would have to have you describe in detail

encounters with her when she may/or may not have been acting dominent or aggressive toward you. Over all Id say you need to go back to

what worked with her to teach her manners at first and then add to it to remind her how shes supposed to treat you.

Could you describe in better detail some recent encounters with her when she would be acting out? we could likely give you better advice if you

could do this first.

Be very careful taking food off a dog displaying aggression. Some dogs will take you up on the challenge and you could get bitten. Not all dogs will back down, I have one here who from early on would take me up on the challenge and increase her aggression.

Resource guarding over things like food is not always about dominance, a dog who feels the need to guard their food can be intimidated, lacking confidence and feels uncomfortable with you around their food. I'm not saying this is the case with you, but if the dog felt comfortable with you around their food, you wouldn't have any problems. For this reason I don't do the 'mess around with their food when they are eating' thing, I teach my dogs to look to me for permission to eat and I teach them a good give command. If you mess around with their food when they are eating too much you can end up validating their need to resource guard because they learn every time you come near their food you are going to take it away, challenge them over it, annoy them when they are eating etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here are some situations I've been in recently.

The other day I went to put Kira in her crate because the family was eating, and I got her to the stairs, she wouldn't move.

I went to grab her collar so I could put her on her leash and lead her down the rest of the way, and she growled and showed her teeth, I had to get my mom to put her in her place .

I don't know why, I've always tried to be firm with Kira, and "show her who's boss," but she looks at me like I'm a joke. She never takes me seriously, no matter how serious I get.

And I've never given her, her way when she ignores me like that, so I don't understand why there's this habit. She's only afraid of my mother.

It's not even like my mom was the one who began Kira's training...Kira has only lived with my mom since March.

I'm really, really scared.

It seems every day my mom is telling me Kira has to go, that she can't deal with her anymore.

My mom's boyfriend is fed up with finding Kira's potty messes.

And it's beginning to take a toll on their relationship, and of course this has taken a toll on my mother & I's relationship.

Kira is tearing the family apart.

I just can't get rid of her though. I love her so much, but if she doesn't change, me and her are going to be in box under the bridge.

Since my last post, I have kept Kira and Priscilla away from each other unless the food bowls and toys are up.

However, I wonder if this is how it's going to be forever?

They get along fine with them put up, they play, Kira plays a little too rough sometimes, but I can tell she's learning.

And they weren't introduced properly. My mother got a sudden desire for a tiny dog, and went out and got one. She dropped the pup off and left again. My boyfriend and brother were left to do "introductions."

Inside the house . Without a leash .

As far as training goes, I am pretty sure I messed up with discipline. Anytime she did something wrong, I did the whole, mad voice- " NO NO, BAD GIRL." etc. routine, and put her in her crate for a bit. Kind of like TIme Out?

Maybe this is why she now REFUSES to go in the crate without a treat . No idea.

This is how all of my other dogs were raised, but it didn't work with her.

I have tried EVERY product known to man it seems to get her urine scent off of my basement floor, guess it's not working though, because she continues to go in the same spot everytime. What on Earth am I to do?

Kira doesn't give ANY signs she needs to go out, ever. Unless she's in her crate, and then she does her little crying fit.

Any idea on how I can get her to let me know she needs to go outside?

Kira is also eating everything on the face of the planet. It's impossible to keep EVERYTHING out of her reach, although i do the best I can.

She has ate a couch, a mattress, countless clothing articles, and sadly, she managed to get ahold of 2 prescriptions- (don't worry, all of the pills were scattered on the floor, she didn't eat them, just the bottles.)

I have never had this many problems with a dog before. I feel like a failure and sometimes wonder if I really should put her in better hands.

But I just can't imagine waking up without that god awful whining every morning.

i'm sorry that you're having such trouble. i don't know what to tell you. when she growls, slap her nose and sternly say no. as for toys don't give her any if she can't share. embry did that a bit at first but i had him learn "leave it" worked wonders. also have you tried natures miracles? i heard it works really well. embrys eight months today and he still has accidents a lot and i think it's mainly because he has water access all day and i don't let him out enough, not the point, but he goes in the same spot as well on his puppy pads

i'm sorry that you're having such trouble. i don't know what to tell you. when she growls, slap her nose and sternly say no. as for toys don't give her any if she can't share. embry did that a bit at first but i had him learn "leave it" worked wonders. also have you tried natures miracles? i heard it works really well. embrys eight months today and he still has accidents a lot and i think it's mainly because he has water access all day and i don't let him out enough, not the point, but he goes in the same spot as well on his puppy pads

NEVER EVER SLAP A DOG!! Especially not for warning you that their not happy with you doing what your doing, if they dont warn you they will just bite you and ESPECIALLY especially with one who with challenging and potentially aggressive behaviour!!!!! YOU WOULD GET BITTEN!!!

kg_love Im sorry you seem to be having so much trouble with your pup, it really sounds like if you dont want to have rehome her you are going to have to get a professional trainer in to help you... the situations you have described sound rather serious but cirtainly not beyond help if you act now and get a behaviourist in... dont let this dog continue to push you around, its no way to live being afraid of your own pup! You say shes scared of your mum... thats not a good thing either, with dogs your not going for scared of you so will do as you say your going for respect you enough to do as you say and respect must be erned by confident training.

Good luck hon, hope you manage to find a good trainer and get it sorted asap! :)

NEVER EVER SLAP A DOG!! Especially not for warning you that their not happy with you doing what your doing, if they dont warn you they will just bite you and ESPECIALLY especially with one who with challenging and potentially aggressive behaviour!!!!! YOU WOULD GET BITTEN!!!

kg_love Im sorry you seem to be having so much trouble with your pup, it really sounds like if you dont want to have rehome her you are going to have to get a professional trainer in to help you... the situations you have described sound rather serious but cirtainly not beyond help if you act now and get a behaviourist in... dont let this dog continue to push you around, its no way to live being afraid of your own pup! You say shes scared of your mum... thats not a good thing either, with dogs your not going for scared of you so will do as you say your going for respect you enough to do as you say and respect must be erned by confident training.

Good luck hon, hope you manage to find a good trainer and get it sorted asap! :)

sorry, idk everyone always told me to do that with embry when he bit, and it workedblink.gif

sorry, idk everyone always told me to do that with embry when he bit, and it workedblink.gif

In your case Jennet that might work although if he is mouthing you and you want to stop him holding his mouth closed with a firm NO should work just as well and wont make him hand shy in the way that smacking him would, but in Kay's case the dog is already challenging her so if she smacked her theres a good chance the dog would bite and thats not a good consequence for anyone!

In your case Jennet that might work although if he is mouthing you and you want to stop him holding his mouth closed with a firm NO should work just as well and wont make him hand shy in the way that smacking him would, but in Kay's case the dog is already challenging her so if she smacked her theres a good chance the dog would bite and thats not a good consequence for anyone!

that definitely true, didn't think about it. i only tapped him on the nose when he was real little when he'd nibble on me or something because he is around my 9 year old sister once a week when i watch her and i didn't want him doing it to her.

that definitely true, didn't think about it. i only tapped him on the nose when he was real little when he'd nibble on me or something because he is around my 9 year old sister once a week when i watch her and i didn't want him doing it to her.

Oh yeah a good bite inhibition is deffinatly a must especially with a dog thats going to be around children, and tapping on the nose is one way to do it I supose, I just prefer the nose holding techinique, I've had good experience with that working nicely for my girl, just my preference. :)

I don't know why, I've always tried to be firm with Kira, and "show her who's boss," but she looks at me like I'm a joke. She never takes me seriously, no matter how serious I get.

And I've never given her, her way when she ignores me like that, so I don't understand why there's this habit. She's only afraid of my mother.

It's really impossible for us to give you good advice over the net as we can't see your dog but I can tell you that no healthy dog/human relationship should ever be built on fear.

I would never want my dogs to be afraid of me - I want them to respect and trust me and look to me for direction.

There is a lot more to our relationship with dogs than "showing them whose boss".

Since my last post, I have kept Kira and Priscilla away from each other unless the food bowls and toys are up.

However, I wonder if this is how it's going to be forever?

No easy answer unfortunately - that really depends on you and how you go with training Kira. Have you considered my earlier advice on getting professional help?

As far as training goes, I am pretty sure I messed up with discipline. Anytime she did something wrong, I did the whole, mad voice- " NO NO, BAD GIRL." etc. routine, and put her in her crate for a bit. Kind of like TIme Out?

Maybe this is why she now REFUSES to go in the crate without a treat . No idea.

Well, I wouldn't want to go somewhere that I associated with negative things either. It's not just about getting a treat when you go into your crate but the crate being a safe, positive place for a dog to be.

I have tried EVERY product known to man it seems to get her urine scent off of my basement floor, guess it's not working though, because she continues to go in the same spot everytime. What on Earth am I to do?

Kira doesn't give ANY signs she needs to go out, ever. Unless she's in her crate, and then she does her little crying fit.

Any idea on how I can get her to let me know she needs to go outside?

What do you do when you see her toileting inside? What have you done to teach her to toilet outside?

Kira is also eating everything on the face of the planet. It's impossible to keep EVERYTHING out of her reach, although i do the best I can.

She has ate a couch, a mattress, countless clothing articles, and sadly, she managed to get ahold of 2 prescriptions- (don't worry, all of the pills were scattered on the floor, she didn't eat them, just the bottles.)

It's hard once the dog has gained success from a behaviour (i.e. stealing food) they have been rewarded for doing it. She sounds bored and under stimulated, how much one on one training does she get each day? How much exercise does she get?

I agree with Sarah - never smack or hit a dog! Not only does it encourage a dog to become hand shy and scared of you, but do it to the wrong dog and they could take you up on the challenge and increase their aggression instead of backing down.

There is never a time when it is ok to hit your dog.

I agree with Sarah - never smack or hit a dog! Not only does it encourage a dog to become hand shy and scared of you, but do it to the wrong dog and they could take you up on the challenge and increase their aggression instead of backing down.

There is never a time when it is ok to hit your dog.

okay it was never a smack, it was a firm one fingertip tap on the nose. worded it wrong.

Oh yeah a good bite inhibition is deffinatly a must especially with a dog thats going to be around children, and tapping on the nose is one way to do it I supose, I just prefer the nose holding techinique, I've had good experience with that working nicely for my girl, just my preference. :)

yeah every time i did the nose holding he got angry and would growl and i wasn't comfortable doing it with him. the nose tap worked better for us.