husky poop

I agree with Sarah when it comes to leaving food out for him - any dog in this house has 15 minutes to eat their food (unless its a big bone) - if they are showing no interest I take the food back until the next meal. It doesn't necessarily prove your the alpha, but is more about increasing the dog's food drive and teaching them that food is a resource that will only be available at certain times.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Biggest mistake I find with puppy's is there owners not the food :eek:

You should feed pups little and often not loads because said pup still looks hungry you would be surprized how many times this happens just because they want it does not mean you should give it to them NOT saying this is what your problem is only you know the answer to that, also plz don't feed them rubbish chews treats and the like just because a company says its good for them don't mean there right and like the others have said pups should be on puppy food

Like I said the above might not apply to you but 9 out of ever 10 that have come to me with this in the past its over feeding.

Good luck hope you get it sorted :)

I agree with Sarah when it comes to leaving food out for him - any dog in this house has 15 minutes to eat their food (unless its a big bone) - if they are showing no interest I take the food back until the next meal. It doesn't necessarily prove your the alpha, but is more about increasing the dog's food drive and teaching them that food is a resource that will only be available at certain times.

May I just add to the above comment which is correct way to feed, if you do after lift there food E.G you give the dog say 10oz and they eat half at next feed only add 5oz not ten because you think he needs it, its another common mistake to give then 15oz which is the wrong thing to do.

Plz don't take the above as the correct amount to feed its only a example :)

May I just add to the above comment which is correct way to feed, if you do after lift there food E.G you give the dog say 10oz and they eat half at next feed only add 5oz not ten because you think he needs it, its another common mistake to give then 15oz which is the wrong thing to do.

Plz don't take the above as the correct amount to feed its only a example :)

Absolutely, if you take their food away you give exactly what you took away at the next meal time.

A lot of people look at sibes and forget they are a breed that goes far on small amounts, they have a very slow metabolism and do not need a lot of food for their size.

My sibe does not each much more than my beagle, he is hard to keep lean and has only 1-2 cups of food a day (note; he is an adult dog so he will require less to eat than a growing puppy)

Let us know how you get on, hope he gets better on it. I'd leave him on it for a few weeks though to give him time to adjust to it. If you find he still has the runs, reduce the amount slightly, more often than not, over feeding can give them the squits - my pup has got this at the moment so have cut his food back a bit so fingers crossed it brings him back to normal lol :)

he has now started on his burns diet he has had a couple of meals. how often should a puppy be fed and roughly how much

Depending on age, puppies usually get fed 4-3 times a day and then weaned to 2 meals a day between 6 months to 1 year of age.

As to how much, find out the daily requirement of food your boy needs and then divide that into how many meals a day your going to feed. For example, let say your dog requires 200g of dog food a day according to the feeding guide on the food packet and your going to feed him 3 times a day so divide 200 by 3 which equals 66.66......7 so this would be how much you feed him (66.6g or you could make it easier for yourself and say 67g).

Always remember that the feeding guide is only a guideline as to how much you actually feed.

• 2 weeks later...

Plz dont feed puppies in handfuls how big are your hands are mine bigger than sues are yours bigger than Marcs how much is a handful ?

Lat week I got a call from one of the new pup owners with the same problum ( shits ) after talking to her for a while it seems I found out a few things she did wrong ( in my oppion ) 1st she's had the pup for 3 weeks and had her on 6-8 different foods and to the vets 4 times she is still feeding 4 times a day and guess how much ? thats right a handful :mad:

When all the pups left here each new owner was given detailed diet sheets on what to feed when and how much, change of food might well be necessary as not all get on with all foods we know that but to change to regular is also not good for them and over feeding a Husky is really bad for them and you wiil have problems if you do ( Huskys dont eat alot for there size ) Should imagine if your working them they would need more but not sure on that as we dont work ours.

At 9 weeks I would not give them any more than 2 tablespoons of kibble with a teaspoon of Chappie if they are fine on that for say a week then up it a little at a time but very little at a time.

The above as worked for us for years and none of the pups left here with the shits and we don't suffer from it with our 2.

P.S don't feed them crap and am not talking about there normal food.

The above is our advice and as worked for us if it helps one puppy I will be happy :)

Excellant advice Dunc! Still can't add to rep though so a big smiley is left at the end of this reply :D

Due to my boys not eating the wainwrights anymore, wouldn't touch it at all! Ive now got them on the BARF diet and as meat is their favourite they scoff it down and I haven't had no poo problems! Not saying you should try this I would take Dunc advice personally.

Big Smiley for Dunc:

[ATTACH]825.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-44-13585942027913_thumb.jpg

Hi, when my dogs get runny poo its either because of:

-their diet>>a poor quility dry food or canned food usally sends them over the edge lol

-if they have pinched something without us looking>>balto swiped my milkyway the other day and the next day had runny poo

-if they have picked something nasty from the floor

-a change of diet, so i have switched my girl from dry food to satin balls and it took me 3 weeks to get a fully firm stool!

or

a medical problem>>although my sibes have never had the runs as the main problem, they get tired, not wanting to play, don't eat or drink a lot AND have the runs>> the runs can make them feel kinda bad so they dont really want to eat:confused:

i would feed a puppy dry food, then when 6 months switch to a junoir food and then at about 1 year>>or just over you can switch to adult food, i would suggest James Wellbeloved >>> they do duck and rice or chicken and rice .....and lamb and rice:rolleyes:

it's a good dry food, not to expensive and has all the nutrients, my sibes did great on it, it's just the girl was a little thin so we switched her to satin balls to gain a few pounds:p

when my sibes get the runs i feed them half of their original food and add some plain boiled rice (i prefer the long grain rice) and add it with their food (not too much rice >>just a handful or so) and maybe add some of the rice water>>the rice will coat the stomach and make the stools firm>>do this for as long as you need, usally about 3 days and he will be fine.

I think the fact the breeder was feeding an adult food for a puppy might be the reason of his runny stools, so i would slowly switch the diet to a better and more suitable food, however saying that sibes do have extreamely sensitive digestive systems, so can get the runs for all different things>>>needless to say i always have a sack of rice at the ready lol:D

im sure he'll be fine, i don't really see any need to go to the vets, try the rice thing and the diet change and wiithin a week if he hasn't improved he may have another problem:confused: >>>but i doubt it!

good luck and let me know how if it works or he gets better:)