husky poop

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My boys kept get runny poo too. I found it was due to the additives and colourings in the food. I now feed them on Wainwrights food, I wouldn't say its the best but I have found a big difference in their poop. They rarely get the runs now, if they do its usually due to something like they may have eaten too many treats or if Bandit gets into our cupboard with the slide door he usually eats the veg which, if he has potato that can give him runs too. I am looking into the BARF diet which the majority of Husky owners here, swear by.

Take a look at his diet. His main diet may be the reason to the runny poo. Huskies are known to have sensitive stomachs as well.

If you can, feed him a raw bone as this usually helps my boys stay solid and they love the marrowbone.

Not all dogs will do well on the same diet, and sometimes you have to try a couple of different foods before finding the type that your dog does best on. Generally runny poos indicate a problem with diet - sometimes it can be the type of food you are feeding, especially if it has a high grain content as grain (maize, corn, rice etc) will go straight through a dog and can cause runnier and more frequent stools.

He really needs puppy food as the adult food wont have the right balance of nutrients that he needs. As a puppy, he requires a higher level of growth and development nutrients as an adult dog would. I would really advise that you put him onto puppy food.

This could be the cause to him having the runs. I tried the Beta puppy before and it didn't do my boys much good at all, but that was due to the colourings and additives in the food.

hi puppy is only 9 weeks old so think a bone is a bit out of the question.

he is fed on the vitalin crown active(adult) what the breeder feeds them on now

he was fed beta puppy also.

would it be better for him to have the puppy food or is adult food ok

No definitely not - he needs puppy growth food, not adult food, as he is a growing baby. His upset tummy is likely caused by the dried food - it is very inappropriate to feed a baby puppy adult dog food as the ingredients are quite different. Your puppy is a baby and is not an active working dog. If you look at the ingredients of vitalin crown active, you will note that whilst the main ingredient is meat (mixed with marrow bone which is ok but not a complete diet) wheat, maize and corn are the next few ingredients listed. This is not a food that I would be keen to feed, especially as it is designed for working dogs that have very different requirements to young puppies.

It is never too young to start feeding raw bones, I had my beagle eating raw chicken wings and necks from the day we bought her home at eight weeks.

I would absolutely change him over to a puppy food, we fed Royal Canin puppy - Eagle Pack Holistic is another great brand. I don't live in the UK so I am not as familiar with the brands that are available there, especially because I feed a bones and raw food diet. But if I can give you any advice - it would be to change him to a puppy formula ASAP.

what wainwrights food do u use?

this one http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-2+dog/brand-is-wainwrights/category-is-2F+Food/lifestage-is-puppy_to_1yr/product-is-V00022

I change the flavour each time they are due a new bag. They are on the Salmon and potato now but the next bag will be the turkey and rice flavour.

No definitely not - he needs puppy growth food, not adult food, as he is a growing baby. His upset tummy is likely caused by the dried food - it is very inappropriate to feed a baby puppy adult dog food as the ingredients are quite different. Your puppy is a baby and is not an active working dog. If you look at the ingredients of vitalin crown active, you will note that whilst the main ingredient is meat (mixed with marrow bone which is ok but not a complete diet) wheat, maize and corn are the next few ingredients listed. This is not a food that I would be keen to feed, especially as it is designed for working dogs that have very different requirements to young puppies.

It is never too young to start feeding raw bones, I had my beagle eating raw chicken wings and necks from the day we bought her home at eight weeks.

I would absolutely change him over to a puppy food, we fed Royal Canin puppy - Eagle Pack Holistic is another great brand. I don't live in the UK so I am not as familiar with the brands that are available there, especially because I feed a bones and raw food diet. But if I can give you any advice - it would be to change him to a puppy formula ASAP.

much better explanation there about puppy and adult food. I knew what i meant but im not sure if i explained quite well enough

The wainwrights food sounds really good actually! It's a shame that wasn't available to us when our old Lab had digestive problems...Salmon and potato is a brilliant alternative protein and carb source!! I will see if that is available locally to us, it should help settle his poor little tummy in the meantime! :)

I know Pets At Home sell it as thats where I get mine from. You will probably find you can't get it from local stores such as Asda, Tescos, etc.

Try your local pet shop they may sell it

I'm currently feeding them the Salmon and Potato flavour. Next time I will get them the Turkey and rice. I find they bored of having the same flavour so I rotate it for them which helps keep them interested.

You should be able to get it on line as well, i buy the burns puppy food.

One thing i wouldn't do is leave the food down for them to go to when they choose. IMO

Depending on what food you feed will depend on how much you give them but say he can have 50 grams per meal, put it down, if he doesn't eat it and walks away, remove it and don't let him eat until his next feed time, this way you're showing him that you're alpha. He may only eat a bit the first time but the second time he should eat most of it, eventually, he should eat when you want him to and not when he wants to :)

To help with the transition of changing his food try to substitute 1 meal a day with 2 or 3 raw chicken wings.

Sibes dont do very well if you change food suddenly even if the original food is not suited to them.

You should do the switch gradually over a week or two by mixing in a small amount of new food in with the old food and gradually building up on the new food.

The chicken wings will help a lot with the runs he has even after the first two.

I wean my litters on raw from just over two weeks old and by 4 weeks old they happily and safely munch away at the full wing.

Chicken wings have much softer bones than other meats so they are no problem for young pups teeth.

If you are still wary of giving the whole chicken wing then some good pet stores sell a frozen chicken mince...it has everything in it for them...just defrost and serve raw ...its works wonders ;)