husky poop

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ahh just read your last post LOL maybe i should have done that before i spilled my life story of sibes and runny poo:s lool, never mind, im gald he's doing well anyway:)

Lol doesnt matter, any advice is good advice, have added to rep :)

We have had no problems with bones here, Quinn is now 20 weeks and weighs 39 pounds -he was about 6 weeks old when he first started gnawing on bones. He would 'ride' the bones and gnaw on the ends. He also carries around a smaller bone to gnaw on as he falls asleep -we have had no problems yet with him chewing on furniture.

We started him on solid foods at about 4 weeks, when he started trying to steal adult food! We'd moisten puppy food (ProChoice) with water. His mom weaned him gradually over the next 4 weeks. Our vet told us to use visual cues for amount to feed. He told us to watch the ribs, we should barely see them -if they become pronounced, feed more and if they can not be seen -drop back. He has passed each 3 week exam with raves from the vet.

We were originally told to feed him all he can eat in a 10 minute period, but he eats too fast as he wants to finish and try to get leftovers from the adults. Timed eating was obviously not for us LOL.

From 4 weeks to 4 months, we fed him 4 times a day. Dropping the noon and 2 am feedings over time (a welcome milestone!).

We give him a nice dog treat if he successfully pees or poos during the night, outside... Now he runs out, pees and runs in to stand next to the cookie cupboard. This turned out to be the best way to housebreak him and his mom during the night. They do not get a treat if they just stargaze LOL.

Also, when he seems to be having trouble with teething pain, we give him frozen green beans -all the dogs love them, especially good for Tala who is on weight reduction meds.

runny poos

I have very good results with rice and chicken broth. I always seem to have a extra box of leftover rice from chinese take-out hanging around, in fact, I toss them into the freezer now -a quick microwave and they are fine.

In fact, I was watching the 2008 Iditarod Discovery series and noticed that DeeDee was the only musher whose dogs recovered well from the intestinal bug that was hitting all the dogs and she was feeding them rice mixed with their kibble.

I also give my dogs plain yogurt wen they seem queasy. They seem to enjoy it more when they are ill.

It's always difficult to determine what is causing problems. Here are two that come to mind (I really try to forget):

1. Tala and Mukki had really bad 'squirting poos' once -the vet and I was at a loss. They were only eating kibble and I was supplementing it with rice and yogurt, then after 2 days moved to boiled chicken and rice. Rich noticed that they had been running around with a large stick they had pulled off the woodpile. They weren't eating it but it was covered in bite marks. As it turned out, a friend had trimmed her eucalyptus tree and given me some. I trimmed off the branches and Rich had tossed it on the wood pile. As soon as I took the stick away, the problems cleared up, except Mukki had a case of diaper rash which needed an ointment. It was a first for the vet and I keep eucalyptus far away from the dogs! Rather stupid of me, since I would never let them near the leaves!

2. Puppy had a problem this week, he was loose but also seemed a bit constipated, finally he had a poo which contained a rather large beetle! Enuf said on that.

i think we have all had problems with soft stools... i feed mine on james welbeloved kibble ( turkey & rice ) and chicken mince cooked and they are fine . get some pro-kolin in always a good thing .. you get it from vets about 14 per tube of paste. settles them back down..

• 1 month later...

have you de-wormed recently? worms can also cause runny stools. We feed Maddie NutroMax large puppy. It's American so they probably don't carry it in the UK, but it is a good organic food that is chicken based. Maddie gets her bones but usually she finds them when we go hiking....something I wish she wouldn't do. I also give them flip chips and pig ears.