Introduction

Hello Pack,

I received a very nice welcome from the mods here promptly after registering, so I decided to introduce myself :) Sorry it's a novel, I get carried away when I have to talk about something I love :)

I've always loved dogs, but I blame my obsession with Huskies in particular on Jack London, and his White Fang book. It was one of the first books I read when I learned how to read, and I was instantly hooked. My parents were the sort of people who did not think pets should be allowed in the house, so I grew up dogless/petless. One time (1997) I did convince them to let me adopt a shelter Husky, Jade, but that did not end up so well :( I had to give him up because he was unhappy with the situation at home. I swore then that 1. I would never have another Husky again because I couldn't deal with their needs, and 2. that if I ever got another dog, I would never ever give it up, even if my life depended on it.

Years went by, I moved out of my parents' house, and while I regularly thought how awsome Huskies are, I never for a minute considered I could have one. Then, one day, an ex co-worker of mine (we used to work in a boarding kennel together) told me the family she was renting a room from was getting kicked out of their place by the landlord, and that they have a Husky boy they just adopted from the shelter, and they do not want him to go back there. My family said "no way you are bringing a Husky home", but I went to meet the said Husky anyway. :P I wasn't sure I wanted to adopt a Husky, because I already had a little dog, and two dogs just complicate things that much more.

Ok, shhhh, don't tell my Husky this, but I didn't think he was good looking enough when I met him haha. My first husky was mostly white with some grey and two beautiful blue eyes and he was very smart. Riley is black and white, with some red, and one blue / one brown eye. I offered the family to foster him until we found him a better place, with the possibility of me adopting him, if he could adjust well with our family life/structure. Well, it's been almost 3 years since that day, and Riley is still with us and doing great. He is a very wonderful dog and I couldn't imagine my life without him. We are his 7th residence (if you count the shelter twice) he's had in his first 8 months on this planet. (we got him when he was 8.5 months) Previously, he was abandoned multiple times for destructive behavior etc. The most he's destroyed in my house was a patch of a blanket and some underwear lol. Do people not realize puppies need to stay busy? WTH! Those people were idiots for giving up such an awsome dog!

He is ok with being a couch potato, he's quiet (unless we have guests over), he is decent on the leash (unlike Jade that pulled like a train) and he doesn't destroy anything. He gets free roam of the house and the only bad thing he'll do sometimes is raid the trash. I can't believe how good he is because I know he almost doesn't sound like the typical destructive/chewing Husky. Now, the one problem he does have is that I cannot ever leave him offleash. He escaped from the house a couple of times and he does not come back. If I could just have one wish, it would be to be able to let him run around offleash some where, but for now that can only happen at the dog park, which is too expensive for me. Which brings me to how I found this place... I am looking into buy a 100ft leash for Riley, so I can let him pretend he is off-leash at the beach, the only open space with no marsh-land or snakes and gators that we have here in Florida where I'm at. I randomly found a thread about this subject here on this forum via google search... and here we are :) I look forward to getting to know all of you.

post-1529-13585950718978_thumb.jpg

post-1529-13585950719461_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the pack...

i really enjoyed reading that ohhh sooo long story..j/k it was nice. I really like that part where you said you would never own a husky and in the end you have had one for three years that i am preaty sure that it is a forever home...

once again, welcome and if you have questions feel free to ask me and if i dont know i am sure someone here can help you...

lol thank you for the welcome. I actually never trimmed Riley's toe hairs because I just love his fuzzy paws haha. It's not nice when he gets into mud with those, but I guess I just like leaving him natural hehe. I don't know if "real" sled huskies need to have their hair trimmed to avoid getting snow/ice stuck in there, but since he's never seen snow (poor guy) I just let him be about that. :)

Hey, Diana welcome to the pack.

Glad you finally found the forum. biggrin.gif

Post lots of pix. . .coz we luvs our pix

and don't be afraid to join in. biggrin.giflaugh.giftongue.gif

Yep, it makes sense for those athlete huskies to have their paws trimmed. I sure hope to go dog sledding before I die lol I am dying to add another husky to the household but it's just not the right time yet. Waiting till I can afford a few acres of land so they have plenty of space to run around.

Yes, they are very addictive and the puppies are just irresistible. I've never held a husky puppy my whole life, so you can imagine how cheated i feel so far lol I get annoyed sometimes with how annoying my Riley can be when he wants something..but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I just love everything about huskies, even what others consider a nuisance, like digging. When we go to the beach, I'm digging in the sand with Riley lol

Hiya, Diana, welcome to the pack :wave:

What a wonderful story - I swore I would never have another husky :lol: famous last words!! I too read White Fang as a child & huskies stayed close to my heart as well

Riley is a very proud looking boy, no wonder you kept hold of him ... 7 homes in 8 months, poor thing must have been dizzy! :blink: Looks like you understood his needs better than his previous owners

Look forward to chatting with you some more around here & seeing more pics of your pack, xx

Woohoo! Another Florida Husky! Where are you guys located? Were in south Florida Davie/Ft. Lauderdale Area.

What a cutie pie Husky you have, and mine raid the trash too angry.gif brats. As if anything in that trash is better than their raw meals. I don't get them sometimes... huh.gifbiggrin.gif

Welcome!

hiya, welcome to the pack :D

What a great introduction :up:

Love the pics - they are both lovely :wub:

Hope to see you around and this lot will pester for pics - best to just give in and let them have what they want lol, i gave up ignoring them a while back now laugh.gif

Yes, it was hard on Riley after being dumped so many times. He used to freak out really bad whenever I left the house, or took the other dog outside without him. I didn't really do anything special about that, but eventually he just figured out he was there to stay and now he's cool about staying at home.

I was wondering if there were more husky owners in Florida :) Riley doesn't have any other husky friends, just that german shepherd, Anja, who is his girlfriend hehe (but they don't get to play often because us owners are busy with work). Unfortunately I'm all the way north in FL, as in, 10 min away from the Georgia border and 30-45 min north of Jacksonville. I wish I knew more people with huskies around here though :)

I don't have very many exciting pics with my furry boy, but I'll try to post some more as I find them.

I was wondering if there were more husky owners in Florida :) Riley doesn't have any other husky friends, just that german shepherd, Anja, who is his girlfriend hehe (but they don't get to play often because us owners are busy with work). Unfortunately I'm all the way north in FL, as in, 10 min away from the Georgia border and 30-45 min north of Jacksonville. I wish I knew more people with huskies around here though :)

I don't have very many exciting pics with my furry boy, but I'll try to post some more as I find them.

Ah well that's ok. N. Florida is closer than the U.K.! wink.gif

Yeah, we need pictures... please fuel our addiction biggrin.gif

Welcome to the Pack! Great intro story. Kudos for giving Riley a furever home.