Draco the GSD - Megathread

Elyse

(I decided to make a megathread, where I only post about him here. He isn’t a husky, after all!)

So, we picked up the puppy on the 28th. He yowled in the car (missing his litter mates/pack?). Brought him home, and upon breeder’s advice we have been keeping Daisy and him separated (they can smell each other through the door, but no physical contact. Breeder says any negative encounter with a dog at his age will affect him for life)

Daisy has been  avoiding him anyways, and she still gets love, attention, walks, etc.

That night in his crate, alone (breeder’s/trainer’s ‘orders’) he yowled for 4 hours straight. After he was quiet for ~5 seconds I let him out of the crate and carried him outside to potty.

Apparently that was a mistake because the next morning the breeder said I was only supposed to let him out when he fell asleep. I thought 5 seconds was enough quiet time?

So because of all that stress, and the fact he got into some cheese while I wasn’t watching him for 5 seconds, he developed gastro problems and diarrhea for almost 24 hours. Called up breeder for advice, she said to reduce his meals by half, add goat’s milk to it, and give him half a tablet of peptobismol. And to sleep in his room (non-crated) until his digestive system settle down. So I have been doing that. Tonight (or maybe even today for practice), if his stools are still normal I will stick him in the crate and not let him out until he falls asleep. I don’t want another dog with separation anxiety - already went through that with Suka.

I decided to name him Draco, and for the past couple days I have been working on getting him to recognize his name (it’s hit or miss right now), the come command (not going so well), and collar training. I have been trying to make the crate seem like a happy place too, but that’s not going so well. Made somebmistakes so far, but he’s my first puppy so I guess that’s expected.

Anyways, here are pictures in chronological order. His ears are starting to come up.B659C3A2-6F07-4B7D-AEC6-A80AFFE3F618.thumb.jpeg.5c237cdabf0642680178083b49e571fb.jpeg

520A7DC9-253C-427F-AC2A-5BBF38FE4FC3.thumb.jpeg.b589c2f78e819e8f064b7015af35f639.jpeg

D1A8F64C-374C-44B6-9710-B8CAEE13E324.thumb.jpeg.ef4a010619d7ea9e658e057f8f803de2.jpeg

21B18028-D50B-4EA3-BB54-8A2A27332367.thumb.jpeg.aaf17ae01cdbeaacd5d5fff5ff12bd32.jpeg

86AD04C9-6F67-46DE-AE6A-08D126226894.thumb.jpeg.32aaabda73318c51af8062cc4a22746b.jpeg

AFCF6B5C-7556-4367-AB82-836C861A1B73.thumb.jpeg.1b4baf01566882aa273b914fdd70b011.jpeg

BAB5126B-EE77-4D2A-A23F-FE80F982CC7E.thumb.jpeg.59259b4d5f4721d689e41fc9eee1a463.jpeg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will stand a better chance if they will stop playing with it but I guess that’s easier said than done with multiple members of the family.

Bear made friends with a gsd who was a similar age to her at six months old with one ear up and one floppy. They’ll both be 7 in 2018 and his ear is still floppy but that’s all part of his character. It’s still really early days for you though, so most likely they’ll prick up eventually (I’ve heard a few times that teething can sometimes cause them to go a bit floppy again temporarily but not sure if that’s particularly accurate or not 🤷‍♀️).

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

3 hours ago, Luna-tic said:

I'm just a bit curious to know why you thought you bought a husky but ended up with a GSD? He's a very cute dog though.

I never bought a husky puppy. I don’t understand why you think I was confused or misled?

So Draco was doing so well and he blew it! :P 

No accidents in his crate at all until the past 2 nights (both of which was pee). I have been withholding water for 1.5 hours before he is put in his crate for the night, so I don't know if I have to take him out more often...or not. The first week I took him out every 4 hours at night, but it was driving me crazy from sleep deprivation so I increased it up to 6 hours. Too much too soon?

So two questions:

1. I am planning on taking him to the park today for socialization and so he can explore the world a little (AFAIK there are not a lot of dogs that go there, so there's minimal risk of contracting anything). I have a 30ft leash.

Breeder says the exercise limits are 2.5 minutes for every month of age. So Draco can do 5 minutes of walking at a time (and NO stairs or repetitive exercise, like fetch, till he's like 10 months old) before it gets dangerous for his joints.

My question is...what about free-running on a long leash? Does the 2.5 minutes/month still apply or would it be less because he might be running around on the long leash? 

2. Feeding and treats: Breeder says to feed him 2.5 cups a day, but when I did that he got a little chubby. So I'm thinking of cutting that amount in half and using the rest of his caloric intake for treats (currently freeze-dried liver....he doesn't go for kibble as treats anymore.). Good idea? I don't want to starve him of nutrients, but a fat puppy is an unhealthy puppy and the extra weight really bad for their joints. He is already a little chubby so I am trying to get him to lose weight without exercising him too much. 

I know the breeder you got him from is helping you n everything but they seem very controlling, as far as I was aware 5 mins per month per walk is fine n that can be several walks a day , pretty sure running around occasionally won't hurt him , if u feel his food is too much then cut it back , end of the day he's your dog

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks Nix. Yes, she is a little controlling. But these are GSDs from working lines...his mother and father do protection work (and she trains dogs for the police)...so she has to be strict especially on the owners or the dog can develop behavioural and structural problems. She knows her puppies, after all.

I'm trying to do what I think is right too. As long as I make everything a positive experience for him in regards to socialization, and go with my gut, it should be okay. If I sweat it out, he'll stress too and that's not a good thing. I just need to chill....

Puppy’s go through phases of looking chubby and then slim, I would prob stick to what the breeder suggests regarding feeding until he’s a little older and if you give treats then reduce his food a little. Once he’s walking more the excess fat will burn off, 5 mins per month of age is what I did for my 2, but he will let you know when he’s had enough.
I know you said the breeder knows her pups but trust your instincts too. Please post pics as he grows [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I own two gsd’s and had one of them since they were a puppy. His name is Obi Wan Kenobi. :) So far from what I’ve read your doing really good. I’ve seen many gsd pups where only one of their ear is still floppy probably by now Draco has both his ears standing. I actually train gsd and large breed dogs but mostly just basics and behavioral problems. And that breeder even though she does sound controlling but i feel like i would be the same way lol. GSD are so intelligent and amazing animals. Obi also loves to be by me. Sadly I’m in Colorado while he is living with my parents back in Oklahoma and won’t see him for awhile since I’m still looking for a place here. Anyways keep us posted!! Would love to know what’s going on. 7d1c2e7644b3d57da70afaef12bbe4d8.png799cf173340b6cfc5b97c90e41fa663e.jpgb4c19119d5cb768db5e9207704a8fafa.pngb4c19119d5cb768db5e9207704a8fafa.png

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

@Abbie ~ Your babies are gorgeous!! I love German Shepherds and had one growing up named KANANI that lived to age15. Love the Star Wars name too!! Absolutely LOVE your photos!!
I also love DRACO...what a beautiful pup!!
[emoji171][emoji252][emoji252][emoji252][emoji252][emoji847]

@Abbie ~ Your babies are gorgeous!! I love German Shepherds and had one growing up named KANANI that lived to age15. Love the Star Wars name too!! Absolutely LOVE your photos!!
I also love DRACO...what a beautiful pup!!
[emoji171][emoji252][emoji252][emoji252][emoji252][emoji847]

Thank you [emoji847][emoji847][emoji173]️[emoji177]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Socialization is going really well. He's no longer afraid of cars/traffic, and he's getting much better with car rides. I have been taking him to new places every day, and he's met a lot of people so far.

I messed up trying to teach Draco's name. Apparently he thinks his name = sit (and then look at me), so I have been trying to fix that. Its a slow process because Daisy is around all the time & its a big distraction for him, but he's learning well. He doesn't respond 100% of the time yet, but he's getting there. Much better than a couple of days ago when I first noticed the problem. 

I've been thinking of buying a clicker so it will speed up the training process (and make things clearer for him), but then I'd need to keep the clicker with me and I just know I'll always forget to bring it with me!

Using a marker word (like 'yes') just feels awkward to me, so I have just been giving him a treat as fast as I can when he does something right. Maybe that's the problem, I'm too slow? I might just need to bite the bullet and buy a clicker...

He's really smart, its almost scary. He already knows how to open doors, and has taught Daisy how to. Daisy has taught him how to open the door to the garbage so I've been tying the door shut until I have time to train both of them out of it! 

He has been sleeping through the whole night for weeks with no messes in the crate (7 hours), been wondering when I can up it to 8 hours so I can get more sleep...

Here's a picture I took yesterday. He's doing good, growing bigger by the day! 

26903633_2024421550906645_3092002149397948512_n.thumb.jpg.451db3f6fa53ce2166d040c314007bdd.jpg

Archived