The Control of Dogs Order 1992

DanUK

Hi All,

I have a question for all you dog owners that use a harness to walk your dogs.....Does you dog also wear a collar with a name tag on???

The reason I ask is because in the UK the "The Control of Dogs Order 1992 Acts" States that

"every dog while in a highway or in a place of public resort shall wear a collar with the name and address of the owner inscribed on the collar or on a plate or badge attached to it."

I have never used a collar with Mowgli and his name tag is attached to his Harness so it looks like I am breaking the law :o I have emailed Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) which deals with these things asking but doubt I will get a reply.

Dan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a good question, Amy has an indi dog collar with a plate threaded through it, my phone number address and 'I am chipped and spayed' ( spayed as a deterrent for thieves wanting to breed)
Not sure where you would stand with it on a harness!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Keta wears a collar and a harness not that you can see her collar with we fur. But it is there and her tag to. But I know what you mean .  It I think you need a collar as they need them on all the time in case they escape so that you are covered. Hope this helps

Problem is , if that harness snaps or slipped your dog has no visible identification , mine wear harnesses on walks but have a separate collar for tags , even when my girl wore a semi-slip she had a separate collar on , they also wear the collars at home should they ever manage to escape the house

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Yep both of mine have a collar, saying 'I'm chipped' with my number, house number and postcode on

Good luck getting a response from Defra, I've never had any replies to my messages to them challenging all Pit Bulls being classed as dangerous dogs!

problemis the JobsWorth idiots you meet 99 out of a 100 will say h the tag is on the harness thats ok, but 1 will be a complete Jobsworth and fine you for not having the collar.

but also as others have said its best to have a collar on all the time in case they get out a window or from the garden whilst your back turns or slip harness as the furrballs can not tell a nice person they are Lost and where they live without one

Yes - always a spare collar With ID on that buckle. Plus neck lines linking their collar to their harness plus another link to the gangline.
Their usual collar also ID plus dog tag and of course, they are microchipped too. 🤗

Sent from my SM-G930F using Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks for all your replies. I read the law as everyone else seems too then :) I understand why most have a collar on permanently and will start using one whilst on walks. I will remove when at home and work as Mowgli hates having one on as the year and a half of his life before I got him he never had one. 

I will try to gradually introduce him to wearing more permanently .

P.S. He is microchipped as that is the law and common sense 

Thanks Maz, I like the idea of them [emoji106]

90cc790420702b4567cf9de9b301a070.jpg

He wasn't best pleased with the collar on tonight as his fat ring round his neck looked funny [emoji3]

• 1 month later...

Hi All. You won’t believe it... I got a reply from them. See below.

Our ref: TO2017/06318/AD

Thank you for your email of 10 September to the Defra Helpline about the Control of Dogs Order 1992.

If a harness is being used instead of a collar we see no reason why the harness would not be regarded as a collar for the purposes of the Control of Dogs Order 1992.

Yours sincerely

Anthony Davis

Ministerial Contact Unit

Below are our some Dogs Trust top tips, whatever the time of year:Secure your pet – make sure yourdog is secure and comfortable on a journey for their own safety and so they cannot distract you. They should be fitted with a correctly sized harness or positioned within a travelling crate or container. 31 Jul 2014

Hi All. You won’t believe it... I got a reply from them. See below.

Our ref: TO2017/06318/AD

Dear Mr Bowering

Thank you for your email of 10 September to the Defra Helpline about the Control of Dogs Order 1992.

If a harness is being used instead of a collar we see no reason why the harness would not be regarded as a collar for the purposes of the Control of Dogs Order 1992.

Yours sincerely

Anthony Davis

Ministerial Contact Unit

I'd be worried about a dog slipping a harness n having no I.d tho, I guess in the laws eyes it don't matter

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Mowgli is now permanently wearing a small slip collar for the sole reason of holding a tag. I thought I would share this information for anyone like me who had the question.

The internet is forever and now is this info [emoji106]

Below are our some Dogs Trust top tips, whatever the time of year:Secure your pet – make sure yourdog is secure and comfortable on a journey for their own safety and so they cannot distract you. They should be fitted with a correctly sized harness or positioned within a travelling crate or container. 31 Jul 2014

This is the law now, in cars dogs have to be properly secured by a dog seatbelt, crate, divider etc

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

IMG_0052.JPG

Ahhh. I’m breaking the law again [emoji50]. Don’t worry, dog guard fitted now. Only like this for a couple of days. Mowgli made me buy him a Jeep as he likes 4x4’s so now I have another annual fee of tax, insurance and servicing which I blame on owning a husky. [emoji849]

I got a Border Collie years ago that was 18 months old and had never had a collar on I got him a liteweight collar he did not like it at first but a while later if you took it off he would push his head back into it to have it put back on

that is offcourse if you live somewhere were a dog license tag, & rabies tag is needed...none of those are needed here even a tag of any sort is needed where I am microchip is the law here from the moment the pup is 8 weeks old...

5 hours ago, robke said:

that is offcourse if you live somewhere were a dog license tag, & rabies tag is needed...none of those are needed here even a tag of any sort is needed where I am microchip is the law here from the moment the pup is 8 weeks old...

With the UK's new id chip law, I still haven't worked out how they are going to enforce it, no one not even my vet has asked t scan to chekc them yet. I saw a dog warden a few weeks ago ad asked them and they said that the office they work for has only one scanner that most of teh time doesnt work as some ones left it switched on and the battery is flat so they end up taking the dpg to the local vets to check for a chip

1 minute ago, PaulG said:

With the UK's new id chip law, I still haven't worked out how they are going to enforce it, no one not even my vet has asked t scan to chekc them yet. I saw a dog warden a few weeks ago ad asked them and they said that the office they work for has only one scanner that most of teh time doesnt work as some ones left it switched on and the battery is flat so they end up taking the dpg to the local vets to check for a chip

here everybody from pet shop to groomer to vet has a scanner...even I can get on only about € 48.00...

Archived