Newbie questions

JayAmberCA

Good Morning!

Thankyou for the warm welcome to the forums, there is alot of helpful and useful information on here!

My wife had a Husky Shepard growing up, i have always wanted a Husky and so here we are.

A few questions though, 

He loves rocks and dirts, to the point in which i have to monitor him always outside, he started to sometimes guard the rocks, i tried to replace the rocks with a toy so he didnt think i was taking the rocks away from him, thats okay right?

He has been home with us for 3 weeks now, potty training is going okay, sometimes he will let us know that he needs to go pee/poo..sometimes we have to kind of guess, sometimes it almost food time or we will be eating and we make him get down or ignore him and i sometimes feel he will pee or poo out of spite because we didnt share or we ignored him, anyone have any experience with that?

We dont like to move him around a lot, as of late we've had friends come and watch him instead of taking him out of his home.

What are the best toys for a 12 week husky? we got the kong and put peanut butter inside, that keeps him occupied, any kind of squeaky toy he just destroys in a day or 2 lol.

We also tried to buy those dental rings that self brush his teeth, they said to let your dog have it for 15 minutes, he had destroyed it in 10 minutes.

All in all, my first experience of a husky is a good one, he is very well behaved when he wants to be, lots of positive reinforcement, he is crate trained and sleeps through the night with almost no crying and lets us know when its time to wake up.

ps, here is a picture, i went to take out the garbage and he thought i was leaving him.

We've started his walks, i like to keep him close to train him not to take me for a walk. I am in control!

21369350_10155562734263886_2217689326581141444_n.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOVE that precious face!🤗
First, I see that there is plenty of space puppy can escape under your fence. (Huskies have a way of slithering thru the smallest little spaces even being full grown. They are also great at digging under fences to get out. They just love to ESCAPE!) I would PUPPY PROOF YOUR ENTIRE YARD by putting heavy big bricks around the perimeter. I also watch my two Huskies pretty much every second outside. Being 12-weeks, they really need supervision every minute in case they swallow a rock, which could be deadly, & get into things they shouldn't.
Get puppy toys that are good for chewing/ teething like chew bones that are fake bones & non-edible, no stuff animals unless they do not have the stuffing, some balls to bounce & play with but (no tennis balls bcuz it's like sandpaper on teeth), rubber toys (though Huskies don't seem to like rubber products but I get some anyway).
Just lots of supervision all the time just like we would with human babies. I hope this helps some.
The staff & members all have so many helpful tips.
You're sweet baby is stunning!
🤗[emoji252][emoji171]

~ANGIE

P.S. Don't take your puppy for walks just yet bcuz he is so young. But get him used to doing a few minutes on a leash in your yard to get him used to leashes. I think the staff says to walk your dogs is:
(5-MINUTES PER EVERY MONTH OLD).
Also, feed your puppy plenty & often since they grow so so quickly!

~ANGIE

Love the pic!
I've found a routine works well with my two, they've come to know when it's time for a walk and play and food!
A bored husky will be a naughty husky ( chewing things they shouldn't and destructive ) playing games with him, hide and seek, ball games, they like to be mentally stimulated and it's great for bonding.
When my two were young I put a few treats in a plastic drinks bottle ( e.g. Plastic coke bottle ) and they'd play with it for an hour, the kongs filled with peanut butter used to give mine diarrhoea.
He's still young and learning, be patient with potty training, sometimes it can take a few weeks.
Welcome to the wonderful world of husky!!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

1 more question, hes 12 weeks, probably going to be begin teething soon, he loves to bite when we play so i try and replace my hand with a toy, is there anything else i can do in this situation?

He only bites when he gets too excited so i stop playing with him immediately until he calms down

Yeah, giving my pup peanut butter in the kong makes im vomit.

My two would look for anything to chew on when they were teething, I used to, still do, redirect their attention if they started chewing or doing something they shouldn't.
Carrots in the freezer worked for both of mine and as they got their adult teeth raw lamb bones work well, stops them being destructive, they love to chew and destroy.

• 3 weeks later...

Another newbie question.

Link is currently 15 weeks old, he's started to teeth, yay, nothing i wasnt prepared for though.

My question is - Should i even attempt to brush his teeth if they are just going to continue to fall out and new ones grow?

I bought these dental rings, kinda like a "do it yourself" teeth brush, yeah he just destroyed it lol.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

Me again.

Link is now 17 weeks old, house training is going great, we both live very active lifestyles so he gets alot of love and attention and plenty of mental and physical exercise, we have started giving him his lunch and dinner in a toy that he has to work to get his food, we feel in the morning its best to just let him chow down as he is so hungry, we did get a channel feeder bowl though so he cant inhale his food in 10 seconds.

He has perfected the sit, lay down, stay, come.

We put treats on one end of the room, make him lay down and wait until we release.

We have friends with dogs and family with dogs, we both work opposite schedules mostly so one of us are always home, he does suffer from serious FOMO (fear of missing out) but he sleeps okay through the night in the other room with the door closed, does not cry and sleeps for a solid 8 hours without any cries in the night...

Teething is going well, lots of toys of different textures and strengths to keep him guessing.

he is perfectly crate trained, he knows when its bed time and walks into it and lays down no problem.

Anywhoot! At what age did you guys finally leave your husky roam the house freely? and whats the longest you've left your husky alone?

We normally have friends stop by or take him to the in-laws as they have dogs also, it can only be good for him if he interacts with other people and dogs right?

We gave up trying to not let him on the couch though, he just wants to cuddle.

Here are some updated pictures :)

thank you all.

22547069_10155659532868886_1606212812_o.jpg

22532144_10155659532863886_409231335_o.jpg

22553724_10155659532858886_1705568958_o.jpg

Honest answer? Ice is 6 years old and still goes into the crate when we go out. If it’s only for ten minutes or so and he’s asleep somewhere then I will leave him out but generally he will be crated when we’re out.
If we don’t leave him in the crate for very long, when we open the door he ignores it and goes back to sleep inside the crate. Lol.

Blaze we never had to crate , skyla was way over a year old b4 we started trusting her but she didn't start chewing until she was around 9 months old , it really depends on the dog , longest mine have been left is probably 5 hours or so everyone in my family work different shifts so there is always someone at home even if they're just asleep lol

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Marley never took to his crate  used to panic and hurl himself at the sides and bite them  (don't know how he was introduced to the crate but it couldn't have been good)  -  and we ended up with a half eaten sofa and chair  -  we got new furniture when he was 18 months old and no problems since  (luckily  - as  the two new sofas are leather)!

We did start to shut him out of the lounge when we went out shopping and at night time -  but as we are retired the dogs are rarely left on their own anyway.

At the end of the day  -  if you really don't want something destroyed  -  don't leave him alone with it when he gets bored.   We have nothing more important to us than Marley & Lunar  (as is with most of us)  - and most of the house is now husky-proof  -  the other good thing is that the destructive phase does not last for too long.

Your baby is beautiful  -  and already sounds as if he is better trained than Marley  -  you are in for a wild ride  -  the best of your life.

Hi, he’s gorgeous!
My two are 18 months and 16 months and it’s the second week they roam around downstairs at night and sleep in the front room, neither are crate trained. I leave them on their own for no longer than 5 hours and they have have access to the back garden and kitchen. You’ll know when he can be trusted not to destroy your furniture, it’s a case of leaving them for short periods of time to begin with then increasing the time gradually. I honestly didn’t think I’d allow them to sleep in the front room at night, it’s been a nice surprise that they can be trusted.

Astro was left on his own in my kitchen until he was 9 months old by which point he had destroyed a brand new kitchen! He's been crated while he's been on his own ever since,he's now 4. And I've crated Koda since day 1. For me anyway it's just not worth the risk, they could seriously harm themselves and plus now I have 2 if they started fighting when I wasn't there it would be a disaster

mine have never been crated and both were rescues Bindi at 1 and Alpha at 1,5 years old they can roam the house freely...they can be left for at least 7 to 8 hrs now...

the only time they are crated are in the van when travelling and when we are at the campsite during the night and that we did not teach them they both just went in had a treat and went to sleep...

Your sweet baby is STUNNING!! He's going to be big with those talk ears & long legs!!! I would definitely keep him IN A CRATE for his own PROTECTION & your house since he's just a pup. If he would happen to have separation anxiety, he would feel safer/better in his crate (like his bedroom) than a big scary "empty" house without humans. It really is for their safety & own good and can help ease that anxiety so many Huskies have. Just don't keep inside the crate stuffed animals, blankets, pillows etc (choking hazard). You can keep some bigger chew toys in it, a Kong with treats in it, etc.🤗

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

• 3 weeks later...

Link is now 16 weeks, cant seem to get him to stop trying to bite me when im trying to play with him, kongs, ropes whatever, i try and re-direct him to the toy but i sometimes feel he thinks my hand is more tasty, i really hope he figures this out, i dont want to have to make him wear a muzzle.

Also, oh my god, fear of missing out is out of control, cries to go out, let him out, if i dont follow him up to the grass to pee, he just wants to come back inside (only sometimes, not always)

He sleeps in another room in a crate and our door is closed and he doesnt make a peep.

Hell, when its bed time he makes his way up the stairs and just lays into his crate no problems... sometimes i just feel he ignores me... help.

Walk away stop playing he will figure it out. No rough playing. My Siku is the same way if I walk away from outside I better do it quickly and quietly because he will see it and just stand at the door even if the other huskies are outside. He stands there waiting for me to come back outside. It has a lot to do with age :-):-)

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Link is now 5 months and growing faster than ever.

He likes to be involved, so much to the point that he can be asleep on the other couch, i can come and sit next the wife and have a smooch and he is immediately up and on the couch with us trying to get involved.

Or if shes reading a book by the fire, ill go lay down next to her and link will come running and get inbetween us.

as cute as it is, i dont want this to be a problem when he is older and is stronger and can become a nuisance.

anyone else had this problem?

23519222_10155740855333886_5251979772147046789_n.jpg

Archived