Never let a husky of lead

PaulG

ok sorry for this

BEGIN RANT

Breed books say it

Breeders tell new owners it (well reputable ones do)

Rehoming centres and groups say it

The people on this forum say it

THEN WHY DO PEOPLE ON FACEBOOK THINK THEY KNOW BETTER

oh my husky and i have a strong bond

My husky is properly trained.

and all the other bull squat exscusses and reasons people say why its safe to let thier husky off the lead

just replied to a comment on the huskyowners facebook page that has made me want to slap some sense into some one

END RANT

2 minutes ago, robke said:

I have been looking at that... sorry m8 but some people think they know better until...:(

she left the group what annoyed and pushed my buttons was the hush comment

I'd like to think I have a strong bond with Amy but that wouldnt make me think I could let her off lead!!!! Why risk it?? We binned a trainer as he said ALL dogs could be taught to be off lead with proper training - arrogant ****!!!!
[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Meh. You get all the annoying people on Facebook. There's even groups devoted to off lead huskies on there.
Everyone thinks they're the exception and their dog is different, when let's face it if they all were then it wouldn't be an exception anymore would it, lol.

I've said it many times before.

In the end it's the dog who suffers for the owners arrogance.

My boy goes off the lead in an enclosed park regularly. he always came back. I would still never let him off in an unsafe or un enclosed area. he recently has just stopped coming back, no rhyme or reason. Huskies.....

think about these idiots with thier perfect huskys that have total trained recall who walk out in a field next to some sheep

doesnt take a lot of sense to work out what is going to happen and then thanks to an idiot we all get tarnished by the irrisponsable actions of a few

Ahh don't get me started! Lost count how many times I've been accused of being a bad dog owner because I don't let mine off lead. Astros dad was shot by a farmer, and his owner recently asked me to go for a walk with her and Astros mum and suggested we let them off lead in a field, couldn't believe it. I would never ever let my dogs off lead unless it's in a secure dog park

The only husky I've really seen who is (seems to be) genuinely great off lead is Ninja (https://www.instagram.com/ninja.vom.wolfstor/). Granted, I only see what Michael posts on social media so I don't know the full story, haha. 

I would NEVER let my Snort off lead... just wouldn't risk it. We're working up to her knowing the perimeter of our yard, but even then she's on a long tie and only ever off for the few seconds it takes her to walk from where the tie out ends into the house :)

I won't lie, it's been a dream of mine to get her to an off-lead point, but the more I research the more I squash that idea completely. Always better safe than sorry!

There's just too many things that could go wrong. Also, her agouti coloring has already made some neighbors think she's a coyote, and a woman at the dog park once argued with me about how she must be part timberwolf (cue my eye roll haha), so I would never want her very far away from me in case someone, God forbid, mistook her for an animal they could hunt.

It's a shame when people jeopardize their dogs safety. I'm thankful I missed the post on the Facebook page; I hate seeing harsh comments... wish people could just have mature conversations and learn from each other.

I'm still asked when I take my two out when I'll let them off their lead, how many times can you give the same answer to the same people!
I'm doing what Cai does now, selective hearing!
When Cai was 12 week old I used to be one of the husky owners who thought I'd got the special husky that could be let off his lead and toddle back to me on command, to be fair he did and when he got to 16 weeks he realised how delicious squirrels looked. No more off lead!!!

taylor has been off the lead well off on her own with the lead attached a couple of times

once she ended up on a chicken coupe

the other legged it through the village

both times were down to her exceptional awareness that i dropped the lead for a split second......... the quick look behind followed by the instant deafness...... yet in a dog park comes back almost straight away....

Archived