Just rescued a Husky and I'm concerned

StacyAnn

Hi everyone! I just adopted my boy from the Humane Society, and I'm a little concerned. He's SUCH a good boy and we love him so much, but he's just been laying around a lot. Today marks a week that we've had him, and I know that I'm probably just being paranoid because a week isn't much time for him to get acclimated, but it worries me. He's been to the vet and has all of his vaccinations, his heart worm and parasite tests came back negative, and the vet didn't seem concerned. I don't have much prior information on him, but I do know that animal control found him and he was neglected. He was covered in fleas, has callouses, and fly strikes on his ears (they're scarred and the hair isn't growing back). He seems like he was strictly an outside dog, and now he's inside with us. He has started eating (he is picky) and he drinks a lot of water. He likes walks, but other than that there isn't much energy going on. He comes inside and just walks around a bit and lays down. The Humane Society thinks that he's only 5, so I hope he comes around. I'm just wanting some reassurance that this could be normal for a rescue dog, and am wondering if anyone else has had any kind of experience like this or advice? Thank you so much! 

Like you said yourself, he's not had a great life and it will take time to adjust.  Right now he's probably got his guard up and is assessing the situation, it may take a while for him to properly come out of his shell and relax.  He needs to learn to trust again and realize that he's in a safe environment.  Some dogs take longer than others to acheive this.  But they do get there in the end.  :)

Giving him a safe place to retreat to where he won't be disturbed is a good idea as if things get too much for him, he has a sanctuary to turn to to help him relax. 

Let him come to you for attention.  Entice him with a few tasty treats and hand feed them to him one by one.  Hold out your other hand and let him smell it.   If he's ok with being touched then slowly stroke him whilst you're feeding him and gradually it can help to build up a bond with him.

For a dog displaying prolonged lethargy I would normally suggest a vets visit to look into any physical reasons but as you've already seen one and they're not concerned at this stage, then for now at least they are satisfied that it's not a medical problem.  I would mention to the vets that he's drinking a lot of water though.  It could simply be that as he's used to being an outside dog that he's finding it quite hot indoors.  Is he panting a lot too? 

Thank you for answering Emma! No, he doesn't ever pant and I make sure that I don't have the temp above 70 (although I'm freezing lol). I mean, it's fairly normal though. I take him for walks and he comes in and drinks, or sometimes he'll just get up and start drinking a lot, but not too much to where I'm concerned. I also give him filtered water, so that may be another reason. He's probably used to rain water or tap. Just in this past week he's been to pet stores, the vet, the groomer, and has had a lot of visitors. I think I'm just being protective and worrying too much, but it's sad to see, so I just had to reach out. 

Thanks Robke! We always lay on the floor with him, and he'll put his head on my face from time to time! Also, one of us has been sleeping with him each night this week! :)

I wonder if since he was an outside dog and abused that maybe he is just enjoying being indoors and having a safe place to sleep.  Like humans, stress causes loss of sleep and maybe he is catching up on his and healing.  Such an amazing gift to adopt and welcome a dog in need into your home.  Thank you.