Sledding Terms

A collaboration of frequently used sledding terms (with pictures!) to help those of you getting started. Bear in mind with the commands, there is no rule stating you have to use the universal sledding commands, anyone can use whatever word or sound they wish so long as they are consistant and the dogs understand. Remember though, if you ever plan on mixing packs or teams, you might confuse the new dogs with your different terms whereas if you use the universal commands, chances are good the other dogs know those very same ones.

COMMANDS

Gee - turn right

Haw - turn left

Hike* - lets go or pick up the pace

On-by - never mind whatever is distracting you and keep moving forward

Ahead - don't turn there, go straight ahead

Easy - slow down

Woah - stop

Line-out - hold the lines tight and forward but don't start pulling yet

Come-gee - turn the entire team around in a U-turn going to the right

Come-haw - turn the entire team around in a U-turn going to the left

Gee-over - move to the right side of the trail

Haw-over - move to the left side of the trail

* - Most people think "mush" is the common word used. Mush was picked up when people heard the French calling out to their sled dogs using the command "Marche". However "mush" was found to be too soft of a word and "hike" was picked up instead.

EQUIPMENT

Harness - what is put on the dog to pull the sled (I use x-back harnesses like OC is modeling but there are many types to choose from depending on the type of body your dog has and what sort of pulling you want to do)

info7.jpg

Collar - I know you guys know this one but just wanted to mention how sledding harnesses usually have the large O-ring which is so nice and easy to work with

info6.jpg

Neckline - attaches to the collar to attach the dog either to the dog next to it or to the gangline

info3.jpg

info2.jpg

Gangline - the main line that runs between the dogs and attaches to the sled (in the picture it is the blue/black line)

Tugline - the line that attaches the dogs' harnesses to the gangline (in the picture its the longer solid blue ones)

info.jpg

Here is a "lead-dog section" or everything you would need to run only 2 dogs (minus the rig or sled). The picture above features a "team-dog section" which you put together as many team-dog sections as you need then the lead-dog section at the front. So if you are running a team of 8 dogs you would need 3 team-dog sections and one lead-dog section.

info4.jpg

Snowhook - this is like the e-brake on your car. It can be used to slow a team down in conjunction with the brake of the sled by dragging it in the snow or once the team is stopped it can hold your team in place by the hooks being stomped into the snow. If a team is stopping for a while a musher may choose to put one snowhook behind the team and one out in front because with only one, if the team turns around it will pop the snowhook out which can become deadly when bouncing around behind a sled.

info10.jpg

Snubline - a line that comes out from behind the sled to anchor the sled and team to something while you hook-up the dogs (you can see the sled is tied to the wood post)

DSC01123.jpg

Sledbag - (pictured above, the blue thing in the basket of the sled) a bag in the sled that is used to carry extra equipment (gloves, necklines, maybe a spare harness) or if a dog gets injured along the trail. All races mandate there be a sled bag on your sled and it must follow specific regulations regarding mesh windows that can be opened for ventilation if you do end up carrying a dog. Their internal space must also be of a specific size.

THE DOGS AND PEOPLE

Husky - a term used to describe any northern freighting dog

Alaskan Husky - a name given to any dog that was bred with the intention of creating sled dogs

Lead dog - the dog at the front of the team who leads

Point/Swing dogs - the dogs immediately behind the lead dogs

Wheel dogs - the dogs directly in front of the sled, at the back of the team

Team dogs - the dogs between the wheel dogs and the point dogs

Musher - the person who drives the sled, sometimes referred to as Driver as well

Handler - anyone who helps the musher out with their dogs

Tandem Hitch - the most popular for races as it is ideal for narrow trails and has the least chance for tangle. The dogs run in pairs one on either side of the gangline

Fan Hitch - the ideal for running on ice because it spreads the weight of the dogs out. Each dog is directly hitched from his harness to the sled and they all run side by side.

Dogbox - carries your dogs in individual (sometimes shared) compartments and is fitted either to a trailer or the back of a truck.

DSC04221.jpg

Ren, what an excellent post! For anyone thinking of starting out running, this is great. I like that you've shown pics of each of the various bits too, helps people understand easier.

Thanks to you for posting this & thanks to OC for modelling, very professional! :D

+1 rep

COMMANDS that I´m using with my own dogs:

Oikea - turn right

Vasen - turn left

Mennään - never mind whatever is distracting you and keep moving forward

Eteenpäin - don't turn there, go straight ahead

Seis (different tone as stopping order) - slow down

Seis - stop

Eteen - hold the lines tight and forward but don't start pulling yet

Takaisin (i also use handmarks to show the right direction) - turn the entire team around in a U-turn going to the right

Takaisin - turn the entire team around in a U-turn going to the left

Oikealle/ota oikea - move to the right side of the trail

Vasemmalle/ota vasen - move to the left side of the trail

Yodling and making high voices if I want to more speed to running.

To me it´s most logical to use my own native language with training. :) So people can also train their dogs simple commands like "right, left etc."

Now I have to ask at which part of the sleigh you will tie the anchor? Or snatching rope? Without the sleigh let falling apart by the force of the pulling dogs. How do you tie the rope that it will hold up but get free when it is needed?

Now I have to ask at which part of the sleigh you will tie the anchor? Or snatching rope? Without the sleigh let falling apart by the force of the pulling dogs. How do you tie the rope that it will hold up but get free when it is needed?

In that picture I have it just looped around one of the stanchions. BUT the three dogs I was using are all quite calm up until I get on the sled and by then I am standing on the sled's brake anyways. These days I'm running more intense dogs who, like you said, would break the sled and take off down the trail. Now I loop the snub line through either the carabeener that attaches my gangline to the bridal of the sled, OR I loop it through the loop of the bridal of the sled. I can stand on the brake and reach the snubline to undo it. Mine was also custom-made by a lady about my height. She used it with her team and then gave it to me when she quit.

Some people have a rope that always stays attached to the loop of the bridal and drags out behind the sled, between the runners. This acts as a safety if the musher falls off they can grab the trailing rope and ideally catch the team. This rope is used to snub off and the musher only has to reach out behind them to let off the quick-release. My quick-release usually gets left behind. If I want it along though it is easy to reverse the set up so when i release it unwraps from around the tree (or whatever I snubbed off to) and stays with me.

Out of curiousity, I've always known "Vuk" as "wolf" in Serbian. What is your language?

In that picture I have it just looped around one of the stanchions. BUT the three dogs I was using are all quite calm up until I get on the sled and by then I am standing on the sled's brake anyways. These days I'm running more intense dogs who, like you said, would break the sled and take off down the trail. Now I loop the snub line through either the carabeener that attaches my gangline to the bridal of the sled, OR I loop it through the loop of the bridal of the sled. I can stand on the brake and reach the snubline to undo it. Mine was also custom-made by a lady about my height. She used it with her team and then gave it to me when she quit.

Some people have a rope that always stays attached to the loop of the bridal and drags out behind the sled, between the runners. This acts as a safety if the musher falls off they can grab the trailing rope and ideally catch the team. This rope is used to snub off and the musher only has to reach out behind them to let off the quick-release. My quick-release usually gets left behind. If I want it along though it is easy to reverse the set up so when i release it unwraps from around the tree (or whatever I snubbed off to) and stays with me.

Out of curiousity, I've always known "Vuk" as "wolf" in Serbian. What is your language?

Thank´s for your great answer! It gave me a lot of information!

The "Vuk" is old novel for children from year 1965. (Hungarian Writer István Feketen) It´s a story for a little fox. Animation from it cames early 80.s. Interesting to know that it´s actually meaning word Wolf. My native language is finnish. And here word "Vuk" doesn´t mean anything. :)

In finnish:

Fox = Kettu

Wolf = Susi

post-982-13585947065466_thumb.jpg

We pronounce 'Gee' as in JEsus, 'Haw' as in saw.

Our snubline, on both the sled and the rig, is attatched to the rear of the gangline between the team and the rig/sled. This is the way UK race rules specify it must be attatched, in order that the team, if required, can be secured with it and separated from the rig/sled. The 'working' end is then fed up to a suitable place for reaching by hand for use. There is an art to releasing it once you sorted out your problem and the dogs are raring to go. We use a two-clip method to make releasing it easier once your back onboard. If anyones unsure of that explanation, I can take photos for you B)

I use Gee as in JEsus as Lyn said but HAW - I have started using ha ha ha ha instead incase anyone thought I was calling my dogs whores blink.gif

Arr but Sarah if you repeat it like that wont it sound like your alughing at them! wink.gif Yep I use the same as you tho like Jee and Ha and Nukka is juuuust about starting to get what I'm talking about which is great as I've just been offered a starter scooter kit for £65!!! With the bungee and the x-back and everything!! Soooooo excited!

Arr but Sarah if you repeat it like that wont it sound like your alughing at them! wink.gif Yep I use the same as you tho like Jee and Ha and Nukka is juuuust about starting to get what I'm talking about which is great as I've just been offered a starter scooter kit for £65!!! With the bungee and the x-back and everything!! Soooooo excited!

lmao probably but at least i wont get slapped ;) lol

£65 for a starter scooter and harness etc is FANTASTIC!!!!!

lmao probably but at least i wont get slapped wink.gif lol

£65 for a starter scooter and harness etc is FANTASTIC!!!!!

Well it is 3rd hand but I've seen it and its still in good nick so I'm really pleased! Now just gotta get Nukka used to haveing something behind her coz I tried hooking her up to a little plastic kiddy sledge and she was petrified and got stuck under a bush!! unsure.gif

Well it is 3rd hand but I've seen it and its still in good nick so I'm really pleased! Now just gotta get Nukka used to haveing something behind her coz I tried hooking her up to a little plastic kiddy sledge and she was petrified and got stuck under a bush!! unsure.gif

3rd hand doens't matter - it will only get bashed anyway, my pawtrekker was 2nd hand and has a few knocks and bumps on it but it will have a hell of a lot more by the time i've finished with it lol

awwwww poor thing, it's probably the noise it made as it went across the snow

How do you pronounce gee? Do you pronounce it like "gee" as in "geese", or "jee" as in "jeep"?

"Gee" is just like the letter "G" lol and "haw" rhymes with "law". Where I got strange looks is when I say "woah". I try to remember to say "woah" with a very clear "w" sound at the begining rather than saying "ho"