Advice On Neutering In Huskies

Hi all

I have booked my 3 boys in to be done on Thursday 19th june. Now being a softy with them I am petrified.

I have heard that siberians react differently to anaesthetic and don't need as much is that true?

If you have had your husky neutered how did you get through the day waiting for a phone call? I am going to be in bits....which is one of the reasons why am having all 3done at the same time

sent via husky howls from my mobile

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Kodi done some time ago now, took him in early in the morning and went to work. It helped take my mind off of it!

When I went to pick him up he was fine, no real issues with being drowsy or anything.

The best thing I can advise is to find something to keep you busy all day while they are in and take your mind off of it... when they come out you'll wonder what you were worried about and give you that strange look when you start doing you loving high pitched voice lol.

They'll be fine mate, just keep yourself busy to keep your mind off of it :)

Find something to do....and if I was you I would use the medical pet shirt on all 3 as they will be trying to clean each others wounds and have 3 x cone of shame running around the house could do a lot of damage...

If you have problems with getting the shirt let me know OK...  http://www.medicalpetshirts.com/index.php/en/medical-pet-shirts-en/the-medical-pet-shirt-nl

decided against getting them cones of shames - the incisions should be fairly small and they are all crated when i'm out - they get done on the Thursday and i've booked time off work so won't go back until the Tuesday so they should be quite settled by then?  they can still get to their own though so the tshirts aren't a bad idea :)

£186.04 per dog though!!!!!!  That's the maximum and includes a cone of shame and pain meds - so without the cone it's around £170 per dog :(

Ok so I need something to do on Thursday then whilst they're at the vets...............

When Alpha was done my vet slowly put the medication in so that he went to sleep slowly... and then they just kept him topped up...we did not have to wait for a call as there was an agreed time to collect Alpha...he went in at 8.30 I was there when the let him go to sleep which was at 8.35 they did operate on him straight away he was the first one of that day...and the agreed collection time was 15.30 hrs and they would only call if there was a problem,  I just had to be there on time to collect him...

decided against getting them cones of shames - the incisions should be fairly small and they are all crated when i'm out - they get done on the Thursday and i've booked time off work so won't go back until the Tuesday so they should be quite settled by then?  they can still get to their own though so the tshirts aren't a bad idea :)

£186.04 per dog though!!!!!!  That's the maximum and includes a cone of shame and pain meds - so without the cone it's around £170 per dog :(

Ok so I need something to do on Thursday then whilst they're at the vets...............

It is a lot of money...

they can get to their own bits real easy (could make a few peeps jealous lol)...We found that using the shirt just calmed Alpha down as soon as he had it on he was not interested in the area anymore but most of all it kept Bindi away aswell....you could also look at baby jumper shirts, I have heard of people using them (they are a lot cheaper esp. when you need 3)

I wonder if they will let me stay with them - you know what koda is like with his mouth  :mouthshut:

Kimba is such a mummy's boy and Kaiser - well i actually think they could see a nasty side to him :(

can you not ask for Koda to be done first and you to be there when they inject the meds...

I know with my vet that you cannot stay for or during the operation as he believe the owners freak out to much when they see their pet on their back legs spread and all that stuff....

I worked there for a couple of years so seeing an operation wouldn't freak me out i'd be worried as it's my babes on the table but i have seen them do this before and know what they are going to do to them - that's why i cringe lol

I don't know who would go first - Kimba would have to be last he holds the other 2 together, Kaiser i think will get worse the longer he is left - seeing Koda go and then not hearing him may cause him more anxiety 

eurghhhh I don't know - am there Saturday for Koda's booster so will talk to them then and see what they suggest lol

wow thats ALOT Blaze was only around £100 including the cone! 

blaze was fine tho we got the cone from pets at home instead in the end because it had padding n the vets one just irritated the stitches 

he was fine tho and your boys will be too , just keep yourself busy 

Chula has been under three times. I'm nervous each time, but she has obviously come through. I would agree with keeping busy. I don't know the laws there but I'm pretty sure that here they wouldn't allow you in the room for liability reasons.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Snow is due to be done soon, though I keep putting it off :(

I'm surprised they haven't been done already, not sure why though.  May I ask what's prompted you to have them done now?

I hadn't really thought about the whole process before you posted this, so now I'm worrying how Snow would cope being left on his own, I think he'd injure himself :(  I would have to ask to stay with him until he went under, for his little sake.

I was nervous dropping mine off but I agree just stay busy. They will be fine :) it's a very easy procedure and they bounce back quickly. The hard part was keeping them calm for a week!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Snow is due to be done soon, though I keep putting it off :(

I'm surprised they haven't been done already, not sure why though.  May I ask what's prompted you to have them done now?

I hadn't really thought about the whole process before you posted this, so now I'm worrying how Snow would cope being left on his own, I think he'd injure himself :(  I would have to ask to stay with him until he went under, for his little sake.

I've always put it off because i want them all doing at the same time and i never had money to get all done at once because it was either something wrong with the car, needed a new fridge freezer, needed a new sofa, Christmas / birthday etc so i was thinking i can't keep putting it off because it's something i'm scared of - i know it's better for them so have bit the bullet and have put the money to one side x  

I'm not expecting a change in behaviour as such from them - they're 6, 5 and 4, but it's healthier for them 

Oh ... you have a month to get really nervous -or- you have a month to get relaxed.  Try to relax, they'll come through with flying colors!

Your comment about sedatives, when they put Avalanche under it took forever for him to "get right" so the vet has a note to administer less anesthesia for anything in the future.  Hopefully that note can be ignored!

Sasha went under and when I came that afternoon to pick her up she was groggy, but walked to the jeep on her own and got into it by herself.

Different dogs, different strokes ...

Ice was treated the same as other dogs, they just based the dosage according to his weight. He was groggy a bit but nothing unusual. Boy neuters are much less complicated than girl ones and the healing time is much quicker too. They will recover from it much faster than you will! That's one thing I'm pretty sure of remembering from my own experiences. Lol.

Although ice weighed a lot less when he was neutered (9months ish) that is quite a lot of money. Ice was around the £100 mark, maybe just a bit under. And even the enormous lady Bear was only £120.

Good luck! They'll be back to normal and haring around your house like lunatics before you know it! :)

and offcourse I mean rompersuits for babies....if you are interested in the medical pet-shirt but cannot get them over there I can always call my vet and get them posted to you....

Or you could get crafty and fashion your own one. Remember when steph made one for kiska out of an old swimming costume?! Ingenious! Lol.

Of course we'll be here to offer some distractions. That waiting part is pretty worrying, even though deep down you know it's going to be ok, that's not enough to stop you from worrying regardless.

These dogs will give us premature grey hair! 😨

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or you could get crafty and fashion your own one. Remember when steph made one for kiska out of an old swimming costume?! Ingenious! Lol.

Of course we'll be here to offer some distractions. That waiting part is pretty worrying, even though deep down you know it's going to be ok, that's not enough to stop you from worrying regardless.

These dogs will give us premature grey hair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premature grey hair....you speak for yourself...already got it LOLOL