my dogs are constantly play fighting/fighting?

my boy Bingo (9yrs) and Blaze (15 weeks) are always fighting its alot of teeth jaws open wide trying to stop the other 1 gettin them but theres no growling or barking involved and i have been told this is only play but when we are on a walk if they get a fuss and it excites the pup or they see a dog and it excites him he always seems to go for Bingo and im not sure if this is playing or not as they growl at each other but Bings does the whole runnin up 2 Blaze running away and stickin his butt in the air thing then running at him again im just wondering if this is play on Bings part and not Blazes or if its still playing for both of them (he also does it when we 1st leave the house so i no its deffinately excitement induced) any help/advice is deeply appreciated

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It could be transfered aggression, the reaction you get when the dogs see another dog, this is because they cannot get that dog and so will turn on the nearest dog. when at homeI would say most of the time they are playing, they are working on their hirachy, the pup is learning how far it can go with your older dog and vise versa, if mine act up like this useually its because they they not had their daily walk/run or have too much energy. as they say a tired dog is a good dog lol,

Mo

thanks atleast i no that its not too bad its a shame really as people see two dogs walking together and they still avoid them i wud love for our pup to get as much interataction as he can but i dont no many people wit dogs think i no about 2 people with dogs that i see regularary (omg cnt spell) but atleast i now not thats its not too much to worry about thanks every1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some sites I found about fighting. The last one looks most helpful as it explains how to identify whats play and whats aggressive or dominant or submissive

http://www.ehow.com/how_2058903_dogs-same-house-fighting.html

http://www.walkingwithwolves.com/index.html

http://www.foxvalleypets.org/dogs/?details=12&page=626

my boy Bingo (9yrs) and Blaze (15 weeks) are always fighting its alot of teeth jaws open wide trying to stop the other 1 gettin them but theres no growling or barking involved and i have been told this is only play but when we are on a walk if they get a fuss and it excites the pup or they see a dog and it excites him he always seems to go for Bingo and im not sure if this is playing or not as they growl at each other but Bings does the whole runnin up 2 Blaze running away and stickin his butt in the air thing then running at him again im just wondering if this is play on Bings part and not Blazes or if its still playing for both of them (he also does it when we 1st leave the house so i no its deffinately excitement induced) any help/advice is deeply appreciated

Just to clarify - when you take them for a walk, and Blaze sees another dog, he has a go at Bingo? What does Bingo do when Blaze notices another dog and how does he react to Blaze having a go at him?

Dogs can certainly play rough, especially Sibes. I would be careful seeing as Bingo is a bit older and may not be as interested in rough housing as Blaze is. I have a ten year old dog here who can be a cranky old bitch, and she has very little interest in playing with the other dogs.

I would also be careful about lots of rough play and exercise when Blaze is so young, as his joints are still developing so you don't want him to over do it.

well when bings also sees said dog he pulls 2 try n get to it also and when blaze goes for him he either tries to get him back or tries 2 run away (which is quite easy as he has an extendable lead also i lock blazes when this happens n not bings) then blaze will calm down and carry on walking

well when bings also sees said dog he pulls 2 try n get to it also and when blaze goes for him he either tries to get him back or tries 2 run away (which is quite easy as he has an extendable lead also i lock blazes when this happens n not bings) then blaze will calm down and carry on walking

Have you ever considered walking them separately? Not forever, but it might give you an opportunity to do some one on one training.

It sounds like a pain in the butt, but I walk Daisy and Micha separately so I can do some individual training with them (i.e. teaching them to walk past another dog without reacting to it). Sometimes I walk them together but I find it easier and more manageable to walk one at a time. That way, when I do walk them together, they are more likely to behave because they've had a lot more individual training.

to be honest i want to avoid that if i can (not only cuz ill feel guilty 2 bing cuz hes more my dog than the family dog) i am looking for training classes tho so hope that will help alot ov the time if i say NO he will stop but sumtimes doesnt want to ur idea does sound good tho i will try it if i cant get him trained up im hopin its just cuz hes still a pup u no but if he continues 2 do so then i think i will have 2 walk them seperately

to be honest i want to avoid that if i can (not only cuz ill feel guilty 2 bing cuz hes more my dog than the family dog) i am looking for training classes tho so hope that will help alot ov the time if i say NO he will stop but sumtimes doesnt want to ur idea does sound good tho i will try it if i cant get him trained up im hopin its just cuz hes still a pup u no but if he continues 2 do so then i think i will have 2 walk them seperately

Nah don't feel guilty! I walk Daisy, then I go straight home and walk Micha, so they both get walked just one after the other :)

I take Daisy to obedience club, but I find the time I can spend with her on our walks quite invaluable as it is much easier to teach her good leash manners... and I found her 100 times worse to train loose leash walking than my Sibe, even though she is half his size! I think Micha appreciates being walked by himself, as dogs love getting one on one time with you :D

i no but cuz bings is my dog he gets quite jelous and i dnt want tht 2 turn in2 aggression but if it gets worse or just doesnt get any better i will have 2 do it

Do you mean he might get upset if you leave him and take Blaze out by himself? My beagle gets upset when I take Micha out without her - I do a few things to combat this as it is important dogs can be without each other (or be without you) for small amounts of time. Firstly - I always walk Daisy first, so she is nice and tired when I come back to walk Micha. If I think she may get upset when I leave with Micha, I give her a treat to distract her - a pigs ear or raw bone to chew on, so she is distracted and the treat makes Micha and I leaving a pleasant experience.

Dogs IMO don't get jealous... jealousy is a human concept. I don't see how it could turn into aggression - you might find you get the opposite and Bing becomes more well adjusted by learning to be on his own :D

Dogs IMO don't get jealous... jealousy is a human concept. I don't see how it could turn into aggression - you might find you get the opposite and Bing becomes more well adjusted by learning to be on his own :D

I totally agree - we do have a tendency to put human concepts on our dogs.