To Husky or Not To Husky

decksimus

This probably should have gone in the Introduction section, but I thought this section would get more visibility. I hope you don't mind. I am new to this site (and Huskies for that matter) and thought it would be nice to start off with a bang.

We had to put our dog down last year due to health issues. My daughter has recently been asking about getting a new dog. I made an agreement with her; if she can go 15 days without wearing a pull-up to bed and without wetting the bed then we would get one (best thing i could come up with to help with that). But she loves Demon from the movie "Snow-Dogs". She points out Huskies and Mals from other movies. My wife likes the way they look and how people-friendly they are. I like their work-orientation, their intelligence, and the fact that they will treat every member of the pack the same; as opposed to devoting to a single master. I generally would prefer a dog that has more protective and loyalty characteristics, but I can bend a little.

My question is this: Do you think that my family is adequate enough to adopt a Husky?

I guess in order for you to help me with my question you will need some information about my family. I have a wife and a daughter (no chance of any more children as I have checked in my plumbing). My daughter is 5 years old, loves Disney princesses, helping me fix cars, swimming and other water activities, arts and crafts, and computer games. She is very smart and loves exerting energy (a plus to getting a Husky). She loves dogs and has no fear of them; even in the case where a big hyper dog charges after her and knocks her over. She did real well with our last dog but that was not an ideal situation. Our last dog was a chow and was 2 years old when my daughter was born. Hence, causing them to never really bond due to the dog's jealousy.

My wife is a structured, yet sheltered, woman. She is very loving and very dependable. She used to be in bank management but recently went part-time at an Italian bistro to provide more time for our daughter. She doesn't have a cruel bone in her body which in turn denies her a commanding presence in any situation (another plus since Huskies don't respond well to punishment). She is OCD when it comes to keeping the house clean. She may be in for her demise if we get a Husky; but she adapts well. She has a hard time reading between the lines in human conversation which concerns me as to how she will communicate with an independent dog like a Husky. But she is very nurturing, very compassionate, and... well... she puts up with me which makes here a very strong and emotionally stable.

I am currently a software engineer. My previous career was in automotive repair (with a few years of management). I am one of those very rational individuals that satisfies every decision, no matter how big or small, with a very large calculation of the big picture. I used to be very active; breakdancing, volleyball, occasional running from the police, swimming, skydiving, rock climbing, etc. I have since become a DJ (no more dancing, just standing and playing music), a computer geek (no more heavy work with cars, just sitting in front of a computer), a father (no more going out, more staying at home), and a husband (no more sex). My life has slowed down a little and I have gained some weight. Now before you jump to conclusions and say a Husky is not right for a fat lazy commander (I am not really fat, just a little fluffy, 210lbs.) I am still stout, can still do all my yard work without taking a break, and replace an engine in most cars in one weekend. On a more serious note, I have intentions on partially using our new dog to motivate me to run; and perhaps having the dog drag me around the neighborhood on roller blades or something; I have a commanding presence and can be aggressive under pressure. I grew up in an environment where if there is work to be done manners and morals only hold you back. I have little compassion for strangers but will give my life to those I care about. I don't give in to failure very easy. I have unsurpassed organizational skills and have been known to lose my cool if my things become out of place. I am one of those that will stop at nothing to accomplish something I started; but I have been known to take the easy way out if the end result reaps little benefit.

My home, in central Florida, is about 2000 square foot and does NOT have a fenced in back yard. We are aware of the blowing of the coat twice a year and are very aware of the training and exercise needs of a Husky. We know that they are not to be trusted off the leash. We know that they are NOT watch dogs. Our idea of a typical day would be (this of course will be after any and all puppy training and is partially hypothetical):

> 5am: Wake up and take the dog for a brisk walk. The dog and I will have breakfast together.

> 6am: I go to work.

> 8am: Dog will go in crate. Wife goes to work. Daughter goes to school.

> 5pm: Everyone gets home. Dog and I go for a run around the neighborhood (or some sled/rollerblade/skateboard type activity)

> 6pm: Dinner. Dog will eat with us.

> 7pm: 15 minute training session with dog.

> 10pm: Bedtime. Dog will sleep in crate until free-roam trust is acquired.

Weekends will obviously be different. Some activities may include runs on the beach, frisbee (or whatever else I can teach the dog), or maybe even some other activities in which we can allow the dog to be exhaustively active. However, sometimes I go out of town for a day or two. And sometimes we go places where dogs are not practical or not permitted. And since I will probably be the "pack leader" or "alpha dog" the dog may go a day or two without proper activity. Can Huskies handle that? How do they handle doggy hotels?

Now that you have been completely bored out of your mind by hearing my case, please let me know your honest opinions on whether or not we should choose a Husky as a family member. We have done tons of research. We know all the traditional expectations and needs. But I want first hand perspectives on what we should consider with our current position in life. And please do not hesitate to criticize. I will not get offended. With whatever canine we get we want it to be happy and prosperous. So please be completely upfront with me. I know Huskies (as well as other closely related Spitz) are a special breed and require a special type of family. They are not for everyone. So if we get a Husky, I want to make sure that we can provide it with the lifestyle it needs to be a happy healthy dog. If you think we should explore a different breed, feel free to recommend so. If you think we could pull it off with a few changes in lifestyle, please suggest said changes. Also, as I failed at finding sufficient information about raising Huskies in hot weather, keep in mind that I live in central Florida (for the Non-Americans, it is real tropical here) so please consider and advise on the heat factor; things to consider when exercising in the heat, how they handle going from cold AC to hot outdoors and back to cold AC, health issues related to heat, etc.

Thanks in advance for your time and humble opinions.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If yours is an active, fun, social, happy family...then you are perfectly suited to have huskies. Huskies are family loving dogs and can adapt very quickly with love and training.

They are always a good choice when there are children involved, but beware, you may not be able to have just one, they become an addiction, lol. (JK)

are u lookin 2 adopt or get a puppy as the run will have 2 w8 till its older - 5 mins per every month of its age for walks so a 4 month old pup will get 20 mins walk a day - are u going 2 fence in ur yard? also huskies cant b trusted offlead i no sum ppl do but some other are rubbish off lead like my blaze who will just run and run and run id also b abit concered bout the 8 to 5 crating as if ur getting a pup theres no way it will b able 2 hold its bladder for that long is there anyway u can come home at lunch 2 let him/her out for a potty break? or have a neighbour or relative come round 2 let it out for abit n have it go toilet - other than that i think u wud make a great sibe family smile.gif

I have 3 Huskies. Doing so lets me do "less" as they do triple the amount of damage to each other. Knowing this i still NEED to spend 2 hours a day at a dog park running, playing and chasing them. If i don't (even just leaving 1 at home) they get nutty. Maybe this is just my spaz dogs but i'm not so sure. Your property would have to have a fence put in, or a run built for the dog. In central FL there are so many Huskies who are lost and end up at shelters because people have land and let them "enjoy" the freedom. Leaving the dog at home all day is unfair. Especially that the dog is only getting a brisk walk in the AM. If anything mine are MORE energized after the walk.

If i had that schedule, i wouldn't get a husky knowing what i do now. And most breeders or rescues wouldn't adopt you out a Husky with that schedule.

Also, when i got Cheyenne she had a UTI. Whoever had her before probably had her crated for long periods of time (longer than a pup can really stand to hold it). Puppies cannot hold their bladders from 8-5. I remember having to race home after only 4 hours of classes to get her outside.

And Huskies who are introduced to crates early on almost always adapt to the crate very well. Mine have outgrown the crate stage but they still insist on sleeping in them.

are u lookin 2 adopt or get a puppy as the run will have 2 w8 till its older - 5 mins per every month of its age for walks so a 4 month old pup will get 20 mins walk a day - are u going 2 fence in ur yard? also huskies cant b trusted offlead i no sum ppl do but some other are rubbish off lead like my blaze who will just run and run and run id also b abit concered bout the 8 to 5 crating as if ur getting a pup theres no way it will b able 2 hold its bladder for that long is there anyway u can come home at lunch 2 let him/her out for a potty break? or have a neighbour or relative come round 2 let it out for abit n have it go toilet - other than that i think u wud make a great sibe family smile.gif

I am looking to get a puppy. I would rather start from scratch as opposed to someoneelse's uprising.

As far as the 8-5 holding of the poddy, I didn't have a problem with my chow holding her poddy. She would go from morning till night without going in the house. We kennel trained her for the first year. Then after that, we would leave loose in the house and she did fine. However, I don't know how Huskies take to kennel training; mentally or physically.

Hi and welcome to the pack!!

I voted yes but would make some amendments:

A fenced in back yard is an absolute must with this breed

Going from 8am to 5pm is a hell of a long time for any breed - especially a husky - can someone come back at dinner and let him / her out?

Other than that - you've done your homework and know what you're letting yourself in for lol

I agree with the 5 min rule - 5 mons exercise for every month old they are so I wouldn't go rollerblading with a pup, my boys didn't start running until they were about 10 / 11 months old and even then it wasn't for very far at first.

Good luck!! If you decide to buy a pup from a breeder, make sure it is a reputable one and not a back yard breeder. Make sure the parents have been hip and eye scored so you are confident that your pup has the best chance in life :)

The 5 min rule is duely noted. The "run" or "pull" I referred to was of course for when the pup became a dog.

As far as the fence, I kind of figured you all would recommend that, but was hoping someone without a fence (and in a neighborhood, not a farm or piece of land) would say that it can be done without it. But I understand completely how the investment of the fence could be a requirement.

My husky does very well with her invisible fence. I still watch her like a hawk from inside the house while she's out, though. she's hit the line a couple times and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to cross it but I still dont trust her. Sounds like you enjoy doing things yourself, if thats the case you can put your own wiring in with just a shovel and an afternoon. I come home from lunch personally to let my sky out to poop and pee. She's almost 8 months now so i don't think I'll have to for much longer.

First off.... wow from all that i feel like ive known u 4 yrs!! Nice to have such a detailed intro. U sound ok to get 1 but the only thing i will say is.... 8-5 in a crate is a big NO NO 4 me, very bad idea! N ur missus has ocd with cleaning and u want a Husky......... sorry but its gunna end in tears that coming from personal experience. My ex husband had the same and its just not a good idea unless she only has a mild case. U will have hair in ur house for ever not just twice a yr, muddy paws etc etc. Think u should watch some vids on you tube! Dont want to put u off but so many Huskies r dumped because of these things. I hope it works out for u. Good luck x

a pup physically cant hold their bladder for that long they need 2 go after sleeping after eating after drinkin after playing after excersice ect

Naturally we would have more frequent moderations for the pup. The puppy phaze with any dog is a feat of great perserverence. I am more interested in the long-term requisites of raising the dog.

First off.... wow from all that i feel like ive known u 4 yrs!! Nice to have such a detailed intro. U sound ok to get 1 but the only thing i will say is.... 8-5 in a crate is a big NO NO 4 me, very bad idea! N ur missus has ocd with cleaning and u want a Husky......... sorry but its gunna end in tears that coming from personal experience. My ex husband had the same and its just not a good idea unless she only has a mild case. U will have hair in ur house for ever not just twice a yr, muddy paws etc etc. Think u should watch some vids on you tube! Dont want to put u off but so many Huskies r dumped because of these things. I hope it works out for u. Good luck x

I know what your mean about the cleaning of the house. I have tried to explain this to my wife, but she seems to think that we can still keep the house clean. Good advice about the YouTube vids. I may have to have her watch them.

My husky does very well with her invisible fence. I still watch her like a hawk from inside the house while she's out, though. she's hit the line a couple times and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to cross it but I still dont trust her. Sounds like you enjoy doing things yourself, if thats the case you can put your own wiring in with just a shovel and an afternoon. I come home from lunch personally to let my sky out to poop and pee. She's almost 8 months now so i don't think I'll have to for much longer.

I am glad to hear that an invisible fense is still a plausible option. Too many times have I read that they are a waste and don't work on Huskies.

I am glad to hear that an invisible fense is still a plausible option. Too many times have I read that they are a waste and don't work on Huskies.

Personnally I wouldn't have an invisible fence. When they are young yep they might work, but once they get older and their prey drive kicks in that squirrel / cat / small running thing will be too much of a temptation for them, and the shock will not register over the drive. As I say just my opinion, but please bear it in mind...

some excellent advice on here, rep duly added, but it's really nice to see a member having looked into the breed, done their homework & STILL want to know more!

Fencing, I think, is an absolute must, a good 7ft high plus & at least 18" below ground, too, huskies are great climbers & diggers

Husky hair becomes a second skin! I think we should all get one of these4 when we get a husky :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Siberian-Husky-Mug_W0QQitemZ320414187772QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_AnimalCollectables_SM?hash=item4a9a2c80fc

Don't walk your husky off lead, as already stated, they have a high prey drive & their head overrules all other instincts. There are one or two lucky members on here that can safely dos o, but the majority stay on long lines for exercise

Don't get a husky if you or your wife are proud gardeners - huskies are great gardeners but not in the same sense as us!

:D

just a few pic's to show what it can be like

1st one one of my dogs hair after a brushing tonite

gallery_435_7_34612.jpg

2nd i only have one carpet and thats on my stairs an landing, i gave up hoovering it as left hair behind so i now use an old dog brush to do it, i do every day and this is what i got tonite

gallery_435_7_28749.jpg

3rd this pic just shows when they want to make a mess they can lol this was one of their beds

gallery_435_7_68292.jpg

but i love em all even though i eat, drink an wear their fur lol

Some great advise added so far... just wanted to add one more thing that no one has mentioned yet... CHEWING!! Huskies are life long chewers (some dogs just do the puppy chewing thing huskies may always do it) not every dog goes through a sofa per day but if you google "Husky Damage" it will give you an idea of the damage a husky can do... I have heard of them chewing through drywall in an afternoon!! So if your wife id the houseproud type just be warned and make sure if/when you get your pup you give them plenty of their own things to chew on and tell them firmly NO when you catch them "Decorating" the home in their own personal husky way!

Other than that they are a totally unique breed that as I'm sure you can tell we're all nuts about! They make you laugh so often you can never stay mad with them even when they've just chewed through your best silk sofa cussions! So good luck and happy huskies! biggrin.gif

Yes chewing can be bad. Mickey and Cheyenne devoured half our leather couch when had to take a quick trip to Home Depot. We thought they'd be ok loose for 30 mins. Guess not. And i can attest to the drywall eating... mine have done it. I've heard of some getting so sick of being crated for so long they've chewed their way out of crates. Even the metal ones.

just a few pic's to show what it can be like

1st one one of my dogs hair after a brushing tonite

2nd i only have one carpet and thats on my stairs an landing, i gave up hoovering it as left hair behind so i now use an old dog brush to do it, i do every day and this is what i got tonite

3rd this pic just shows when they want to make a mess they can lol this was one of their beds

but i love em all even though i eat, drink an wear their fur lol

HOLY CRAP!!!

Some great advise added so far... just wanted to add one more thing that no one has mentioned yet... CHEWING!! Huskies are life long chewers (some dogs just do the puppy chewing thing huskies may always do it) not every dog goes through a sofa per day but if you google "Husky Damage" it will give you an idea of the damage a husky can do... I have heard of them chewing through drywall in an afternoon!! So if your wife id the houseproud type just be warned and make sure if/when you get your pup you give them plenty of their own things to chew on and tell them firmly NO when you catch them "Decorating" the home in their own personal husky way!

Other than that they are a totally unique breed that as I'm sure you can tell we're all nuts about! They make you laugh so often you can never stay mad with them even when they've just chewed through your best silk sofa cussions! So good luck and happy huskies! biggrin.gif

The walls?! Are you serious? Duely noted.

Sometimes AppleBitter spray prevents other dogs from chewing on whatever is sprayed. Does anyone know if anything like that works on Huskies?