To Husky or Not To Husky

decksimus

I agree with Cathy, very informative, added to rep also, lots of points covered in that post :D

Thanks Ladies

I absolutley adore Huskies and wouldn't change having my girl for anything but they are a larger responsibility and challenge in comparison to many other breeds that I felt the need to do an essay!!

Hate seeing so many in shelters ; - (

I am so lucky that when I am away working I can leave my girl with my friends and their dogs on a 5 acre farm where there is always someone at home otherwise it would be far more difficult to balance both our needs.

Oh and I soooooooooooo recommend that Springer bike thing it is so awesome - She doesn't even bother to chase squirrells or rabbits now as she knows she cant get to them and just carries on running alongside - Unfortunatley I'm not getting as much of a workout with a snowdog helping to pull me along!!

xxxxxxx

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much everyone for the superb info. Melissa and Erik, you rock! Rep added.

We will be making our decision here in the next couple months. I will be sure to let you all know what we decide. Thanks again.

Thanks Dex,

It's so great that you are taking the time and knowledge before you bring in a new furry family member!

Hope it all works out well for you and your family :D

hi dex just an observe you say about being caged for a long period of time Myself find that an awful long time for a husky pup to be left alone and your wife would have to show her dominant side with the pup as it would take advantage if she were to let it see she wasnt dominant huskies are very quick to recognise if they can get the better of the person

and they are very hard work you have to be really commited to the husky breed as they can cause a lot of damage as did nooks when she was younger now she is perfect but dont think it will be easy and please think long about it and read everything about the breed as there are far too many huskies for rehoming because the owner didnt read about the breed

but on the good side they are a beautiful dog and once you train them they are a good companion so I wish you luck on the final outcome it will be good to see your decision and if you get a husky want to see lots of lics husky hugs from nooks (ps huskies are great with the kids )best wishes Meg x

hi dex just an observe you say about being caged for a long period of time Myself find that an awful long time for a husky pup to be left alone and your wife would have to show her dominant side with the pup as it would take advantage if she were to let it see she wasnt dominant huskies are very quick to recognise if they can get the better of the person

and they are very hard work you have to be really commited to the husky breed as they can cause a lot of damage as did nooks when she was younger now she is perfect but dont think it will be easy and please think long about it and read everything about the breed as there are far too many huskies for rehoming because the owner didnt read about the breed

but on the good side they are a beautiful dog and once you train them they are a good companion so I wish you luck on the final outcome it will be good to see your decision and if you get a husky want to see lots of lics husky hugs from nooks (ps huskies are great with the kids )best wishes Meg x

Good stuff Meg (rep+)! Not only am I going to have to train the dog, but I may end up having to train my wife too. Oh boy.