Can't Decide on a Breed

And, hey, I got to the Canadian one just by typing in .ca! LOL

Apparently there's only 4 Tamaskan dogs in Canada, and they are all family members. And they all belong to one breeder. And only 1 is female.

Now that's sad! lol

I did some more reading, and according the the US site, they are similar to huskies with everything (stubbornness, etc) except for being able to be trained reliably off-lead and a lower prey drive?

And, apparently, they are friendly like huskies too. So, no guard dog here!

EDIT: Oh, and there's an interesting 'breed standard' I found on the Canadian site. With pictures!!

http://www.tamaskan-dog.ca/Pictorial.asp

Edited by SolitaryHowl

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i could really care less about having a guard dog LOL.

there's still only a few tamaskan breeders in the USA and if i could bet they are pretty pricy. i've always thought they were beautiful though.

i dont know, part of me feels bad for pitbulls because they are always judged so harshly. and the ones i've met are all sweet babies. not saying i want one though!

I found this. My match was, instead of the Sibe, was a collie. So, I'm not sure how accurate it is.

http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds/questionnaire/page1.html?question=1

it gave me a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon which no offense to the breed i think is ugly lol. totally not the dog for me.

d'awww - he IS cute!

Ask your boyfriend what other dog he would like besides a pitbull, if you are dead set against it. List some common breeds, like the Golden Retriever, Golden/Black Lab, Border Collie. Maybe take him to a local shelter and see if he falls in love with any of them.

d'awww - he IS cute!

Ask your boyfriend what other dog he would like besides a pitbull, if you are dead set against it. List some common breeds, like the Golden Retriever, Golden/Black Lab, Border Collie. Maybe take him to a local shelter and see if he falls in love with any of them.

i wouldn't say im dead set against it. i actually really like pitbulls, just never thought about owning one. Labs are out lol. my parents have one and they are not the right breed for me. As for golden retreivers, i'm not ready to let another one into my life. Houston was the best dog i've ever owned and it just still feels like i'd be replacing him. one day i will own another one, just not now.

we're just going to wait awhile and i'll let josh give me all of the reasons why i should allow him to get a pitbull :P

d'awww - he IS cute!

also,

if we rescue i'm going straight to our local husky rescue and bringing one home. that is that! haha

If I could get a new dog it would be a husky, but if I couldnt get a husky, I would wan a rotti. They are big and they will protect you but they are also very sweet. I do love me some pit bulls. If you are thinking about the pit bull, you should make sure you can have them where you live. There is tons of breed specific legislation around my area now, so you should see about that.

I want another husky. I love the breed and Luka teaches me more and more every day. Josh wasn't really aware of all the work that would need to be put into Luka so he says he would like a lower maintenance breed. The thing is pitbulls are super hyper and basically just as high energy as a sibe.

Like I said for now we just won't get another dog because I don't think it's fair to me to get a breed I truly don't want.

All I know is I can't picture my life without a Siberian husky in it.

I want another husky. I love the breed and Luka teaches me more and more every day. Josh wasn't really aware of all the work that would need to be put into Luka so he says he would like a lower maintenance breed. The thing is pitbulls are super hyper and basically just as high energy as a sibe.

I definitely wouldn't recommend a Malinois then, or any of the working breeds if he is after a low energy dog that won't require a lot of work.

I love my Sibe, and he has always been an active driven dog even now at 10 years of age but he has nothing on the Mal I handle! There is really no comparison.

Like I said for now we just won't get another dog because I don't think it's fair to me to get a breed I truly don't want.

Have you told him that!? LOL

My brother was looking into the Bernese Mountain Dog (or was it the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog?) before I snatched up Suka. It's apparently low maintenance/exercise, but I'm not sure I trust him because the internet says they are active breeds!

They're huge, though. 120-140 pounds.

My brother was looking into the Bernese Mountain Dog (or was it the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog?) before I snatched up Suka. It's apparently low maintenance/exercise, but I'm not sure I trust him because the internet says they are active breeds!.

The other issue you have to take into account with some of the large breeds like Bernese is that they have a very short lifespan - I think the average for Bernese is only 7.

Just a few notes on some of the other suggestions:

Tamascans - these are basically crossbreeds bred from poor quality GSD, Malamute and Husky back in the '80's - they come from the same gene pool as Utonagans, Northern Inuits and a host of other made-up "wolfalike" breeds. None of them are recognised breeds in any country in the world as far as I know and, as a result of poor breeding practices, many of these "wolfalike" breeds have serious health problems within them.

Akitas - If you decide on an Akita, make sure it is the opposite sex from your existing dog. Akitas are very prone to same sex aggression.

Mick

Check out Basenji. An adorable breed, low maintenace in terms od cleaning after them, but smart in a husky sort of way, won't do things that don't make sence to him. Google 'em up. Personaly I find them amazing.

wow there is actually someone who doesn't like GSD :eek: :P

I would be cheering on your side for another husky but I must say blue pit bulls are LOVELY :heartbeat: if you want a guard dog that's not your best choice though

Liv!! we missed u!

wow there is actually someone who doesn't like GSD :eek: :P

I'm another I'm afraid. I was spoilt by being brought up with German Shepherds in the 1950s (or Alsations as we called them in those far-off days). Our Alsations were big, four-square, healthy beasts not like the banana-backed, slinky-hipped disasters that pass for GSDs today.

Mick

thanks all for the advice! the more and more i think about it i am completely set on one breed. and that would be the siberian husky. and honestly, i don't want another puppy at all for now. luka is finally potty trained a few months ago and i just don't want to go through that all over again. now i just have to work on josh to let me adopt one next year ;)