Can't Decide on a Breed

Well originally i wanted a GSD. the boyfriend said absolutely not, as he thinks their ugly. (it hurts my heart to hear such a thing!) he wanted a weimaraner and i just don't like them and that's actually how we both went to our other favorite breed and wound up with a husky.

well luka's 6 1/2 months now and around the time he turns 1 we would love to get another dog. immediately i wanted another husky but josh isn't sure. i even suggested rescuing one so we don't have to go through the puppy stage again. Don't get me wrong i love luka and he was precious when he was little but it was so much work. :(

he's suggested a rottweiler and a blue pitbull. He wants something that is more protective than our goofy Luka who would lick a burglar. (ironically both breeds i've met have been SUPER SWEET) Both are beautiful dogs, just not particularly what i want. if i couldn't get another husky i've thought about an akita.

I just don't know. We obviously can't plan for another dog until we decide on one. lol

sigh.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a WGSD (I think they're a beautiful breed :)) She is very protective but also very sweet. The thing about GSDs from my experience is that they need a lot of socialization and training--even professional training if that can be provided. They can be somewhat weak nerved and skittish which is hard to deal with for an inexperienced owner (like me)...

I don't know much about rotties or pit pulls. My brother in law has a rottie that is super sweet but he is also a great gaurd dog. With rotties you have to remember their size (BIG) and know if you can loose leash walk/handle them appropriately :)

i love akitas, but they truely aren't for everyone, i think i have recommended them maybe once in my 15 years of having the breed. my family has 2 now, but we have had another one. we spent a little over a year researching and going back and forth to make sure we were the right match for the breed.

and with akitas you always have that chance for aggression and it might inhibit your ability to get another dog afterwards. we have had issues with all 3 of ours at one point in time.

if your looking for something similar to a husky, there is always the malamute. they are bigger and can provide that secruity with their size. i have also had a rottie and i loved her to death. she was smart, willing, loved to be with us, good off lead ( which i miss so much about the breeds we have now) and even though she was such a sweet girl, i felt very safe walking her alone at night.

i think it comes down to what you want another dog for and what you want to do with another dog. do you really want to add the extra hair or increase in insurance ( or even dropage) due to a breed on the banned list, which does include akitas and most guard type dogs. do what to have to deal with another dog you cant have off lead. i love taking our aussie out, he loves to just walk beside us or play in the yard unleashed. are you wanting another male or female, with some breeds same sex aggression is common.

i love akitas, but they truely aren't for everyone, i think i have recommended them maybe once in my 15 years of having the breed. my family has 2 now, but we have had another one. we spent a little over a year researching and going back and forth to make sure we were the right match for the breed.

and with akitas you always have that chance for aggression and it might inhibit your ability to get another dog afterwards. we have had issues with all 3 of ours at one point in time.

if your looking for something similar to a husky, there is always the malamute. they are bigger and can provide that secruity with their size. i have also had a rottie and i loved her to death. she was smart, willing, loved to be with us, good off lead ( which i miss so much about the breeds we have now) and even though she was such a sweet girl, i felt very safe walking her alone at night.

i think it comes down to what you want another dog for and what you want to do with another dog. do you really want to add the extra hair or increase in insurance ( or even dropage) due to a breed on the banned list, which does include akitas and most guard type dogs. do what to have to deal with another dog you cant have off lead. i love taking our aussie out, he loves to just walk beside us or play in the yard unleashed. are you wanting another male or female, with some breeds same sex aggression is common.

OOh good questions! When it comes to another husky, an akita, or even a malamute the hair is really a deciding factor. Our house is already consumed of dog hair and although i wouldn't give Luka up for anything it does drive me INSANE! I try to think how i will feel with that times 2! I truly do not know a whole lot about the Akita breed, i have read some on them, and also am very aware of the aggression issues. Trust me i would never just go and buy an akita without knowing anything. That's why it's very insightful to have individuals experience on here. And i understand you not recommending them, i feel the same way about Siberian Huskies. I have so many people say oooh i want one and they have no idea how hard it is.

Josh grew up around rottweilers as his uncle bred them at one time so he is really trying to talk me into that particular breed. I do like them, but at the same time i know at the end of the day i am the one who really does all the work. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, he loves Luka, but I am the one who walks him. It was my idea to take Luka to training classes. It was me who read up on the Siberian Husky breed for MONTHS before we got him. I feel that in a way gives me more of a right to pick the breed.

We don't currently have home insurance due to us renting but i have State Farm for everything else and they don't discriminate dog breeds here in Mississippi.

Honestly, At first I was completely set on another Male but now we would probably be fine with a female.

It's even harder to bring up Akita-inu than a husky. My mom's cousin has one, and if you ever seen a husky go away from you and ignore you, I found it 2 times worse with her Akita-inu. Even his face was like 'Did she say something? Whatever *leaves*'

The issue with their aggression is, you never know if the one you get will have it or not. Hers does. While it would not attack or be aggressive with dogs they bring to his attention, others... not so well.

Anyway, I watched Dogs 101 on Animal Planet yesterday, and so I suggest you the Canaan dog. :D

The man I bought Ghost from told me, Ghost's father learned to protect, you never know, and I'm sure Luka would protect you, if someone was doing something to you but once you have any 2 dogs, who's stupid enough to break in? :P

I think the guarding/protection breeds still have to be trained to be...well...protective. They may have a genetic deposition to guard more, which can be good and bad, but they would probably still have to be properly trained to guard/protect only in certain situations and not all the time.

Here's a link on some protection/guarding breeds. http://www.cesarsway.com/dogbehavior/top-10-dog-breeds-for-protection

The Belgian Melinois are on that list. They look similar to the GSD, but I have read they don't have as many of the health problems plaguing the GSDs.

More information on the Belgian Melinois: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/belgianmalinois.htm

It's even harder to bring up Akita-inu than a husky. My mom's cousin has one, and if you ever seen a husky go away from you and ignore you, I found it 2 times worse with her Akita-inu. Even his face was like 'Did she say something? Whatever *leaves*'

The issue with their aggression is, you never know if the one you get will have it or not. Hers does. While it would not attack or be aggressive with dogs they bring to his attention, others... not so well.

Anyway, I watched Dogs 101 on Animal Planet yesterday, and so I suggest you the Canaan dog. :D

The man I bought Ghost from told me, Ghost's father learned to protect, you never know, and I'm sure Luka would protect you, if someone was doing something to you but once you have any 2 dogs, who's stupid enough to break in? :P

I think it would be more me protecting Luka than him protecting me! LOL he is a big baby!

And that's ironic you said that because i was looking at the Canaan breed a minute ago online. haha

I think the guarding/protection breeds still have to be trained to be...well...protective. They may have a genetic deposition to guard more, which can be good and bad, but they would probably still have to be properly trained to guard/protect only in certain situations and not all the time.

Here's a link on some protection/guarding breeds. http://www.cesarsway.com/dogbehavior/top-10-dog-breeds-for-protection

The Belgian Melinois are on that list. They look similar to the GSD, but I have read they don't have as many of the health problems plaguing the GSDs.

More information on the Belgian Melinois: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/belgianmalinois.htm

I've looked at those as well. I think they're beautiful. I like them just as much as the GSD. I just don't know if the boyfriend would feel the same way. I don't know what his deal is. lol

I've looked at those as well. I think they're beautiful. I like them just as much as the GSD. I just don't know if the boyfriend would feel the same way. I don't know what his deal is. lol

Yeah, what is his problem, not liking the GSD!? :D

I always wanted to get a GSD, before I got Suka actually, but after I read up on all of their health problems due to poor breeding and the like....the Belgian Melinois seems to be more appealing.

Ask him what he's looking for in a dog, but don't get any breed you don't feel comfortable with. After all, you're going to be doing (most?) of the work.

Yeah, what is his problem, not liking the GSD!? :D

I always wanted to get a GSD, before I got Suka actually, but after I read up on all of their health problems due to poor breeding and the like....the Belgian Melinois seems to be more appealing.

Ask him what he's looking for in a dog, but don't get any breed you don't feel comfortable with. After all, you're going to be doing (most?) of the work.

Oh i will def. be doing most of the work! I think at the end of the day the only dog we can agree on is the husky. LOL.

Time to get another husky then? LOL

Or, maybe you could get a rescue that is mixed with a GSD/shepherd and a husky. That way, the dog 'might' have some of the protective instincts of a GSD (or not!) but it won't look totally like a GSD. You both win!

Time to get another husky then? LOL

Or, maybe you could get a rescue that is mixed with a GSD/shepherd and a husky. That way, the dog 'might' have some of the protective instincts of a GSD (or not!) but it won't look totally like a GSD. You both win!

I've considered this. I see a lot of Husky/GSD crosses in shelters. i actually found a GSD i wanted to adopt last week. i blew up Josh's phone sending him pictures with sad captions. No luck. lol but i will never give up :hehe:

I've considered this. I see a lot of Husky/GSD crosses in shelters. i actually found a GSD i wanted to adopt last week. i blew up Josh's phone sending him pictures with sad captions. No luck. lol but i will never give up :hehe:

my storm is a husky x gsd. more husky like lol

Mals are smaller than GSDs but they generally have an even high drive. They are very full on working dogs that need specific training and a lot of work put into them, otherwise they would be a nightmare to own, live with and handle. I handle a Malinois and they are amazing, but they are generally going to be way too much dog for most people. You can get lower drive GSDs that aren't going to be as full on.

Mals are smaller than GSDs but they generally have an even high drive. They are very full on working dogs that need specific training and a lot of work put into them, otherwise they would be a nightmare to own, live with and handle. I handle a Malinois and they are amazing, but they are generally going to be way too much dog for most people. You can get lower drive GSDs that aren't going to be as full on.

Thanks for the advice!! It's just all a lot to take into consideration. Which is why I'm thinking in advance. I don't know, when the timing is right I feel like we will agree on something. Until then luka will continue to be a spoiled only Furchild. ;)

Look into the Tamaskan dog. It's a newer finnish breed, a mix of GSD x husky x malamute. They call 'em a wolf dog without the wolf!

I've looked into that breed as well, but they seem VERY rare. There are no breeders over here, and I don't think they are even a recognized breed over here (yet?).

if i were to get another dog there is no doubt in my mind it would be a husky again, there just so sweet and gentle and playful, yeah the hair would be bad but you'd soon forget about it or get used to it, luka would have a lil husky friend also :) DO IT GET A HUSKY! lol :)