Hi

Deb

Hi All, I am a new member and live in the UK. We have just adopted a 3 year old male husky called Meeka.

He is gorgeous and fairly good although it has not been without problems. We now are very into a new fitness programme called 'walk that husky'!!! and we love it.:awink:

Hi, Deb & Meeka, welcome to the forum :wave:

That's a novel game you play, we normally play 'husky walk the human'! ;)

Meeka is a lucky boy to have found a forever home with you, we have quite a few rescue huskies on here so we know what you're going through :)

Look forward to chatting with you around here & hope you will find time to post a pic or two (hundred! :eek: ) of Meeka.

We often have meets around & about where our huskies get to meet & play with each other & the owners walk & chat! There is also a camping weekend coming up where a group of us will spend a weekend wreaking havoc in Lichfield & Cannock Chase - if you're near the midlands, why not pop along & meet us? :D

Thanks for all your 'welcomes'. We thought long and hard before making the decision to adopt him and did a HUGE amount of research. Both of us experienced dog owners and have had a multiple load of dogs between us.

But as I said it has come with some problems!! He has suddenly got very possesive over food and water, going for our cocker spaniel when he had a drink (unfortunately we had to have Charlie the cocker put to sleep last night for health reasons nothing to do with Meeka, hence why I am not at work as can't stop crying!)

Also last night he went to our Yorkie's bowl and when my husband said NO and got up to stop him he turned on him, then on me and managed to get a bite (no broken skin) ! I hope I did the right thing but I put him down on the floor and would only let him go when he relaxed.

It was all abit of a shock as he was so good, even stops if my Yorkie runs and I tell him to stop if he starts chasing. Is a dream when we leave him has not chewed, eaten anything (Kongs are soooo good!).

I have now taken up the water bowl but they both have their own in their crates although Meeka is not crate trained fully yet, but Mia the Yorkie can not get his and visa versa.

We don't know a huge amount about his past but we do know that the RSPCA Inspectors talked the owners into handing him over as he was never walked and spent a lot of time tethered in the garden as he had escaped!

Any advice would be most welcome.

I'm so sorry about Charlie.......*hugs* to you.

We have a couple of members who are much better than I at working with dogs showing this type of behavior. Re - Post this in the health and training section and I'm sure they'll be right on it to assist you in any way they can.

Post this in the health and training section and I'm sure they'll be right on it to assist you in any way they can.

Great advice, Becky :grinning-smiley-003 - Deb, if you post a new thread in the section Becky mentioned, members will know where to find it & hopefully come up with a few suggestions as to how best you can help Meeka

oh poor Charlie - hugs

We have a rainbow bridge section if you wish to post in there x

So sorry to hear about Charlie, as Sarah suggested, we have a special area for our departed pets :)