Bin Advice

Thistle

Hi Guys,

Mollie is always getting in our bin and so as we can seem to remember to keep the door shut (so she cant get in) we are investing in a new bin. Does anyone have any suggestions on doggy proof bins. I was thinking about getting a pedal bin but have just read that some smart dogs can figure out how to open them... so I am guessing the touch top bins are just as easy to get into. Just wondered what peoples personal experiences were with their furbabys :) Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Amy

I have a peddle bin same thing Skye can get into it easy :S guess it dose not really matter what type,

given the time im sure she will figure out how to get into it if she wants to, may be better making the kitchen / bin area a

no go area.

We've had 3 type of bin

1. Pedal. . . learned how to open that faster than Usain Bolt.

2. Swivel top bins. Lid was supposed to lock down, and you rotated the hole open. . . Nope locking lid was off within minutes.

3. Flip top bin, head in. Lid now becomes a designer cone of shame.

We now use option 3 without the lid on, with a large ex-banana box on top with a weight in it.

We've had 3 type of bin

1. Pedal. . . learned how to open that faster than Usain Bolt.

2. Swivel top bins. Lid was supposed to lock down, and you rotated the hole open. . . Nope locking lid was off within minutes.

3. Flip top bin, head in. Lid now becomes a designer cone of shame.

We now use option 3 without the lid on, with a large ex-banana box on top with a weight in it.

:rofl: that sounds like Mollie a few days ago the bin attacked her.

I have a peddle bin same thing Skye can get into it easy :S guess it dose not really matter what type,

given the time im sure she will figure out how to get into it if she wants to, may be better making the kitchen / bin area a

no go area.

The bin is in the kitchen but that is where we feed her as we can then shut the door if there are children about as she is possessive and we dont want an incident. We do try and keep the door close while we are not here but if we are not watching her she is such an opportunist and will dive right in the bin :(

The last time I had a dog get in my garbage, I made her (( it was the old black lab I was so fond of )) sit there while I picked up everything one piece at a time. I looked at her, said "no you're a bad girl" ( or words to that effect ), put it in the trash can and picked up the next piece! By the time I was done, the poor girl was flat on the floor, looking like I'd beat her to death (( never touched her! )) She never did get in the trash again!

Excuse me if I think you all are spending way too much time and money on ways to keep them out of the trash when you should be spending the time to teach them that the trash is not their food. (( and to add insult to injury, I can set steak out on my counter, if I don't give it to them, It's mine and they know it! ))

Thanks I will give that a try next time she is inquisitive, we have told her no and leave when we have caught her about to go for a snoop or actually with her head in the bin but it hasnt worked she is just as curious as she was when she first came home. We do need a new bin anyway as the lid on the one we have is broken. But we will try and train it out of her.

we keep it under the sink behind closed doors of the cabinet...if we don't open the cabinet, they don't get at it, and Jack is the only trash eater from the kitchen...on the other hand, i caught jessy stepping on the pedal to open the bin in the bathroom the other day and just laughed because i knew she could do it, but never saw it!