Running Free

maggie

Now I really have no idea what you're on about... I was just answering your question :confused:

I train my dogs to work off leash in "unsecure" (i.e. unfenced) areas. Does that answer your question? Am I missing something?

No and for the last time will you stop saying you do is that clear enough for YOU.

No-one is asking you to lie and say you dont but sooner or later like as been said someone will copy because guess what we are all learning and you just might be right.

Now do you understand ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No and for the last time will you stop saying you do is that clear enough for YOU.

No-one is asking you to lie and say you dont but sooner or later like as been said someone will copy because guess what we are all learning and you just might be right.

Now do you understand ?

No need to scream Dunc. And no need to be condescending.

So I am "not allowed" to talk about the training I do, or that my dogs are trained for competition obedience, or that we aim to train for a reliable recall? Because someone, might one day read my posts and decide to try it for themselves?

Just to be clear, you know. Don't want to break the rules you've set out for me.

You said no one is asking me to lie and say I don't - you just said to stop talking about it! FCOL.

Oh please. I'm the one being accused of thinking I'm better than everyone else, bigoted, essentially told I don't know what I'm talking about and that I'm a fool, that I think my dogs are hot shit (or whatever it was you said), that it should be "clear enough" that I shouldn't share my opinion or experiences. I'm the one who was basically told that I'm risking my dogs lives, that they are going to suffer and that my methods aren't tried and true. I wish I hadn't said anything.

Any dog can be taught a reliable recall if you know how to train it.

add that to:

I'm not going to lie and say that it's impossible to do when I don't believe it is

By you own admission, you say not every owner is capable of teaching reliable recall. Well heres the wake-up call! Theres a whole load of people out there who simply do not recognise they DON'T have the ability and genuinely believe they do. They come along and selectively read sweeping statements like that, which serves to falsely add to their confidence, and it ends in disaster!

To my mind, such statements in public view are DANGEROUS.

My forte is racing. Got a few years under my belt now and becoming more proficient and knowledgable all the time, but you'll not see me telling anyone to just hook up a whole load of dogs and go, because "any group of dogs can be taught to run as a team if you know how to train them". Neither would I ever utter "It's impossible to do, when I don't believe it is" In fact, I have in the last few days made a post on here to the contrary and advised a novice musher on JUST how careful they need to be.

The point me and others are trying to put across is just how careful you have to be about blowing your own trumpet, because you have no way of knowing who out there will read/listen to that and take it as gospel!

for f*ck sake guys lay off Bec, she simply has stated that SHE has managed to train her dog to a pretty reliable recall and that SHE doesn't think it wise for people to try it unless they are willing to put in a lot of effort as it has taken her a long time. (well that is just summed up quickly) AND the main reason she is doing it is to compete in obedience classes, not just to let the dog off down the park.

Also Lyn, you have basically just told her to lie about what she does, i don't think that's very fair do you? I've just sat here reading you guys attacking Bec and i'm not impressed one bit...

Oh and if people take it as gospel, then they're pretty f*cking stupid aren't they?

By you own admission, you say not every owner is capable of teaching reliable recall. Well heres the wake-up call! Theres a whole load of people out there who simply do not recognise they DON'T have the ability and genuinely believe they do. They come along and selectively read sweeping statements like that, which serves to falsely add to their confidence, and it ends in disaster!

And if they are going to pick out a single sentence and take it out of context, they are going to do it regardless of if they read what I've written. If they genuinely believe they are capable that's not something they will decide purely from reading a single sentence in this thread.

What more can I say apart from, not everyone is capable of training their dogs to that standard, nor do they want to, and that if your dog isn't 100% reliable don't risk it by letting it off leash? How many threads have I talked people out of letting their Sibe off leash by using the 'if a rabbit ran past...' analogy?

To my mind, such statements in public view are DANGEROUS.

My forte is racing. Got a few years under my belt now and becoming more proficient and knowledgable all the time, but you'll not see me telling anyone to just hook up a whole load of dogs and go, because "any group of dogs can be taught to run as a team if you know how to train them". Neither would I ever utter "It's impossible to do, when I don't believe it is" In fact, I have in the last few days made a post on here to the contrary and advised a novice musher on JUST how careful they need to be.

Where have I encouraged ANYONE to do anything even remotely like that? Where have I said to anyone 'just let your dog off leash and go' - please enlighten me because I have actually several times said the opposite. Have I not advised people extensively JUST how careful they need to be? How much they need to be able to proof, understand, and train?

The point me and others are trying to put across is just how careful you have to be about blowing your own trumpet, because you have no way of knowing who out there will read/listen to that and take it as gospel!

I am not blowing my own trumpet and I have really had enough of your accusations and snide remarks.

I have not suggested anyne lie about what they have done. Merely suggested they perhaps be more careful about how they share that and put the emphasis not on how well they have done, but how hard it was to do it!

The place to be blatently proud of what you can do is around those just as competent or more competent than yourself. In terms of dog obedience, thats you dog club meetings and events. In terms of sled-teams, among other experienced mushers, in both cases NEVER on a bulliten board where theres a substantial membership of new and inexperienced owners open to suggestion.

I asked for the thread to be closed as a member sent me a text to say they were deeply unhappy about the way in which this thread was going and thought it may need to be closed as I was in work, I couldn't deal with it at the time so I asked Nix to put a message on and close it for me for the moment so that it didn't get out of hand.

Bec i think you do a great job in training your dogs and it's clear that you have, and still do put a LOT of time and effort into their training which is highly commendable :up: I certainly don't want you to stop posting about your experiences as people could learn such a lot from you.

It's clear through reading the posts that this is a subject close to everyone's hearts as everyone is looking out for the interest of the breed and wants to ensure newer owners to the breed are aware of all the facts....which i can't argue with.

Going to leave this closed as i think it's been thrashed out enough on this occasion lol i'm sure it will rear it's head again soon but hopefully, we can all play nice when it does :)

OK I have read this thread through more than once now. Its annoyed me quite a bit that it has come to this as people seemly either read too much into things or dont read things properly at all.

Bec - I have just spoken about this on the phone regarding the whole thread to Dunc, and its gotten out of hand purely through nothing other than frustration at trying to get a point across. Sometimes it can be difficult to get across on a forum what you are actually trying to get the person to understand so I am going to try and do so in this final post as I think it is a valid point.

Yes you did state that it shouldnt be tried without 100% positivity that you have perfect recall. The issue here is that people will think that they have, and this unfortunatly will be in the majority of cases if they want to have a go at it. I dont think that you shouldnt post about your experiences and training, which we know you are very good at, its more things you could do with adding to your posts when it is something that could potentially put a huskies life in danger. Not by yourself I must add, I mean by the people that will read your post.

This said, I think you need to add to your threads about this in particular that it is not the opinion of the majority of people, and that the majority of experts dissagree with letting a Husky off lead unless it is in an enclosed area. I know you have experts you have spoken to that have the opinion that it is possible, however we all agree that this is not the opinion of almost every (if not all) husky related experts, and that the advice as a general rule is that huskies should not be allowed off lead in an insercure environment.

Becky the thing you need to bare in mind, is that as you post so much about your training and what you do (which is great), and the fact that you are pretty good at it, you will been seen as expertise by people who will never put in that time and effort, but think that the time they put in is enough. You need to understand that you are in a more responsible position than most simply because you are good at what you do, and therefore its more important for someone such as yourself to emphisise that in the majority of cases recall with a husky is ony recommended as something to train and use in an emergency, as apposed to something that is to be used so they can be let off leash.

Hope I managed to clear that up somewhat, however if not then I tried and nothing more can really be added anyways.

BTW: the comment "your training is the bollocks" is not meant to be taken in the way you took it. This is english slang that means you are good at it. EG. if I said my car is the bollocks, I would be saying its really good. Just thought I would clear that up as local dialogue incidents can cause a nightmare lol