Update Warning

Marc

OK peeps, I should imagine by now that most of you have read my update topic http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/large-update.40239/ .. If you havent I would suggest that you read this first before reading this one.

Im posting this as a bit of a warning about the conversion process we will be going through. Although the various other changes that have gone ahead on the forum which have been a long process, they have been somewhat straight forward in the processes that are followed in order to reach the end conversion goal. This one however is anything but.

We are converting to the software vbulletin, which is actually the software we started on. Over the years we have converted to invision because of problems in which were present in the latest releases of the vbulletin software. Since then we converted over to xenforo. Unfortunatly however as much as I have tried to keep us on the forefront of technology we are now in a situation where I cannot move forward. Also the new version of vbulletin we should have gone to long ago has had many fixes applied to it and is working better than it has done in the past. Therefore its again a stable solution for us to go back to and gain the massive variety of features this forum deserves.

So, for the problems then. In every conversion there is the inevitability that there will be some loss of data. I have very rarely seen a forum converter that does everything. However this time we have twice that possibility as there is no direct path to vbulletin. Therefore I will need to convert us to one piece of software before converting us to vbulletin. So we will lose things, its simply unavoidable.

Here is what we are likely to lose, but think about these as Im posting them. They are not as bad as they at first sound.

PASSWORDS - We will lose all the passwords on the forum. However these can be easily be either reset and sent out to people, or extremely simple instructions on how to do so.

AVATARS - These will be lost in conversion. At the end of the day it takes 2 seconds to add a new avatar.

SIGNATURES - Although these will be lost in conversion, I will be trying to save these to user profiles manually. So we may get these we may not. However as above it takes 2 seconds to add it back in.

CONVERSATIONS - All personal conversations will be lost. If you have any information in conversations you have had with people you want to keep, then please ensure you have a backup copy.

IMAGE ATTACHMENTS - Dont worry these will not be lost completely. However I am having a problem with the images being placed in the posts. Therefore they may well be just attached.

POLLS - All polls that are attached to posts will be lost. However we will still have the ability to create polls (and a lot more lol) on the new software.

There are some simple things that are lost which are hardly worth mentioning such as your current status message, your current mood etc. However these are largely irrelevant in comparison.

ALL POSTS, TOPICS ETC WILL BE TRANSFERRED!!!!! No content itself will be lost otherwise I simply would not move us.

I am telling everyone this as I think its fair you know what to expect. However also bare in mind I would not move us if I didnt feel the problems above were worth it. And they really really are. The gains from this move cover the above 10 fold and more.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, we should save our signatures and avatars to our computers in case they are lost?

Yes ... I will make sure I have this forum backed up and will be recovering it in a backup location however, so may well make it read only so people can recover things for a while if needbe

Will forumrunner and tapatalk still work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely, but won't promise it will be there from the very beginning. vBulletin has much more to offer for mobile devices anyway though. The mobile webinterface looks VERY good so far ;)

Will forumrunner and tapatalk still work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They most certainly will. Along with a mobile style which users will be happy to know they can switch off if they want to :)

wooot! hoping for a smooth moove. You said a week? *L* if the poll running for the yearbook hasn't closed by then can someone poke me so I can screenshot it?

Will be aiming to have the unconverted board resurrected elsewhere on a new location to start with anyways so you will be able to see it anyways.

Passwords...please explain! Will we get an email to Yahoo w.h.y asking us to change our password?:confused:

I'm confused.:(

Your password will be lost, so either a new one will be sent to your email address or you will have simple instructions on how to get it sent to your email address. Once you log in you can then change your password back to whatever you like. Dont worry will be quite a simple process, this is really the least of the problems. :)

Erm, I know of one member that does not know her 'log in' password, since it is stored on her laptop...will she still be able to.........arghh...........reach the rest of us on here?!:confused:

It's little ole me. Can one of the "they who must be obeyed" let me know how I can retrieve it. I am a techno idiot to the extent I have to have an idiot proof mobile phone and wouldn't know how to use one of those app thingies if it came up and bit me on the bum.

It's little ole me. Can one of the "they who must be obeyed" let me know how I can retrieve it. I am a techno idiot to the extent I have to have an idiot proof mobile phone and wouldn't know how to use one of those app thingies if it came up and bit me on the bum.

:doglaugh:

I was trying to be discreet!

Erm, I know of one member that does not know her 'log in' password, since it is stored on her laptop...will she still be able to.........arghh...........reach the rest of us on here?!:confused:

No ... her login password wont work. She will have to reset it and the new one will be sent to her email.