WARNING Kennel Cough NORTHWEST :(

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.vippetcare.ca/vaccines.html take a look down the page there is a physical test!

Thanks Chris that was a good read.. interesting about the antibiotics. As the vet has treated all of them with antibiotics, will continue with the course as Freya's cough was productive with green phlegm so might be a complication of kennel cough which might lead to pneumonia if not treated :(

was very surprised to find out that dogs can be carriers without displaying any symptoms whatsoever and that antibiotics can slow the healing process!

Anyway, I've got my 2 booked in for KC vaccination tomorrow, although from what I have read up still likely they can catch KC even after having the vacc :(

thought a link that Nick put is in touch with was interesting in that is says even after the coughing has stopped can remain infectious for upto 3 months !!! :jawdrop: Nish was prescribed simple linctus cough medicine back in Feb when she had her cough ~ 3 ml twice a day (she was 14kg at the time)

it also says .....

Kennel Cough is a social disease in that it is only spread by very close contact. When the dog coughs the bug is expelled in droplets and will immediately die unless inhaled by another dog. Accordingly, a dog can only pick up the infection when it shares common air space with an infected dog. This is one of the reasons that the illness has adopted the term “kennel coughâ€Â. Boarding kennels are an ideal environment for the disease to spread rapidly as large numbers of dogs are kept in unusually close contact.

seems to me like there is a lot of conflicting information out there on the web, as some sites state that advisable to refrain from outdoor areas like parks etc, but if you were to take the info from above then surely an outdoor area fairly safe as bug dies immediately its expelled (unless the dog coughs in another dogs face, which would be just downright rude behaviour!). With that said though, I would still be excluded from outdoor areas, as you all know Nishka likes to be in VERY close contact with her husky friends, particularly the male ones...... the little floozie! ;)

Hope Freya, Brooke, Indi and Sky are feeling better in a few days rather than weeks as some sites say it can last

:grouphug:<<<< its safe its only a virtual group hug, so not contagious :)

well its basically a comon cold which if a warn down dog or a dog with a vunerable immune system catches then it can cause complications. other than that it can come and go with out a problem.

Anibiotics have slowly been getting phased out for a while in alot of cases tgey can slow down or contradict the natural immune system

The ech

Thanks Chris that was a good read.. interesting about the antibiotics. As the vet has treated all of them with antibiotics, will continue with the course as Freya's cough was productive with green phlegm so might be a complication of kennel cough which might lead to pneumonia if not treated :([/qui

The echinacea does help immensely. You can get it from holland an barrett, we use it on the rats when they get ill. Rats are susseptable to chest infections an we put a few drops in their water bottle. Works for them :)

Indi has now started with it as well :( but she started her meds yesterday so doesn't seem as bad as Freya ... we are in isolation and not able to go for a walk at the moment and poor Brooke is swinging from the lightshades shes got so much pent up energy ... think its a ball in the garden for about 3 hours before bed and see if we can get rid of some :)

Yep kennel cough tore through this area about a month ago too...only my shepherd crosses and aussie were really effected but we medicated everyone. I think Denali brought it back from a dog show with him. The virus sheds in the stool for the duration of the med cycle...so be sure to be picking up the poo too. Feel better soon!

Yep kennel cough tore through this area about a month ago too...only my shepherd crosses and aussie were really effected but we medicated everyone. I think Denali brought it back from a dog show with him. The virus sheds in the stool for the duration of the med cycle...so be sure to be picking up the poo too. Feel better soon!

Thanks Husky mom never thought of that :( do always poop scoop though when out as it's one of my pet hates to see dog poo just left where kids play and run... all 3 now are showing signs :( but they are all still well in themselves just trying to rest them as the vet said this would help.. this is the hardest part of the treatment

Hi Val Freya was the first to start on the Sunday morning and she started with a tickley cough and then it progressed really quickly Sunday night into a productive cough with phlegm :( on Monday the phlegm turned green YUK!! The sound they make is so distinctive you are left with no doubt it is KC . But Brooke started with sneezing and has developed a cough today and indi a cough yesterday :( they don't have a temp a d are not lethargic or off their food.. But any type of exercise brings on a coughing fit!! Hope your guys are well..

We are new members to the site, we have 2 huskies and they have both had kennel cough, we have been to the vets with them.

They are still coughing sometime even after the course of antibiotics.

Any suggestions? :confused:

kate07 how long have they had KC for ??? and when did they finish their antibiotics?? I've currently got my 3 who are just at the end of their antibiotics and their cough has slowly got worse at the moment.. using honey and simple linctus to ease it and also vitamin C and some people have said echinacea as well.. Think it just needs to run its course... but if your concerned then a trip to the vets maybe necessary :(

Storm's on antibiotics for it too now.

Vet said, as others have above, that it can linger on for months afterwards, (the Vet's dogs have it too).

The meds are also for secondary bacterial infections that can get a hold once they're under the weather with the KC.

Just hoping that it's all over and done with before the new pup arrives.

Storm's on antibiotics for it too now.

Vet said, as others have above, that it can linger on for months afterwards, (the Vet's dogs have it too).

The meds are also for secondary bacterial infections that can get a hold once they're under the weather with the KC.

Just hoping that it's all over and done with before the new pup arrives.

Oh I didn't know storm was poorly to :(