WARNING Kennel Cough NORTHWEST :(

Hi Guys looks like we won't be coming to Husky Camp :( Freya has just been diagnosed with kennel cough yesterday and Brookes come down with it as well today. :(

It's not a nice disease and Freya has it worse. Started with a tickly cough on Sunday and then Sunday night the phlegm started. Monday led to green phlegm so off to the vets with her... they diagnosed kennel cough and prescriped Ronaxan for 5 days... Brooke started with a slight cough today so phoned the vets and he has now prescribed the same for Brooke and Indi even though Indi has no signs yet :(

Rest for a week and then gentle exercise for the next week :( going to kill me.. as means no more walks with our friends for a while... does anyone know how long they are infectious for??? and how long they should be in isolation from other dogs?? Husky camp is only less than two weeks away and wouldn't want to pass this on to any other dogs .. Freya's cough today has been dry although it is still very hacking and sounds very dry....

Not sure where she picked it up from had been to Formby last weekend and it takes 5 to 7 days to come out so could have been here or when we went to Croxteth Park ?? but could have been anywhere...

Keep your eyes on your furbabies and if necessary don't hesitate to seek vets advice as not nice... There are some natural treatments you can use and if anyone has any suggestions on how to treat I'd be very grateful...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Guys thought it best to warn you all ... hope no-one else gets it!!! and it's not like the stomach bug at Christmas that went through us all :(
Hi Liz hope Freya & Brooke r ok sorry to hear there not to good Huskie hugs all round xxxx:grouphug:

Please be advised that there is also Kennel Cough in and around Newquay (Cornwall) and Darlington at present - unfortunately my brother has unwittingly passed it on from purchasing a pup from Darlington 2 weeks ago and taken it to Cornwall. :eek:

My mum's vet in Cornwall has advised (as of yesterday) no direct contact for the next 2 weeks. Visitors without dogs are advised to put shoes and clothes straight into the washing machine as it can be carried underfoot and on clothes for a few hours. I had to ask my mum to ask her vet about the risks as my teenage son and his g/friend have just travelled to Cornwall to stay with my brother as well as my mum (on separate days) for a week - and I do not want it brought back here.

My mum's vet advised Molly and Timber be vaccinated just incase, but as far as I am aware, Kennel Cough vaccinations are largely ineffective because it is like trying to treat the common cold in humans. I could do with other opinions, in terms of what other members' vet's have said on this though.

I have suggested a sticky so that the spread of it can be at least monitored.

My mom brings home dogs from the shelter all the time who have KC. It's very common in shelters around here. I could be wrong, but I heard that three days after you put them on meds, they can be around other dogs without passing it on. Guess I've had to deal with it so much that it doesn't seem that bad. Elara got it when she was younger. It was a reaction to the meds to keep her from getting it! I think my mom's dogs have been exposed to it so many times, they don't catch it anymore.

Hi Guys looks like we won't be coming to Husky Camp :( Freya has just been diagnosed with kennel cough yesterday and Brookes come down with it as well today. :(

It's not a nice disease and Freya has it worse. Started with a tickly cough on Sunday and then Sunday night the phlegm started. Monday led to green phlegm so off to the vets with her... they diagnosed kennel cough and prescriped Ronaxan for 5 days... Brooke started with a slight cough today so phoned the vets and he has now prescribed the same for Brooke and Indi even though Indi has no signs yet :(

Rest for a week and then gentle exercise for the next week :( going to kill me.. as means no more walks with our friends for a while... does anyone know how long they are infectious for??? and how long they should be in isolation from other dogs?? Husky camp is only less than two weeks away and wouldn't want to pass this on to any other dogs .. Freya's cough today has been dry although it is still very hacking and sounds very dry....

Not sure where she picked it up from had been to Formby last weekend and it takes 5 to 7 days to come out so could have been here or when we went to Croxteth Park ?? but could have been anywhere...

Keep your eyes on your furbabies and if necessary don't hesitate to seek vets advice as not nice... There are some natural treatments you can use and if anyone has any suggestions on how to treat I'd be very grateful...

sorry your babies arnt well ...will be vigalant ...thanx liz

liz ...ive just thought i have a medical book off some friends ..i will have a look for you ...x

liz ...kennel cough highly contagious !!!! ...with rest and stress free enviroment ,most adult dogs recover rapidly within 7 to 14 d ays,keeping dog quiet will speed recovery ....if it a severe case it does need vetinary attention it says ...check it out on web ...take care ...:grouphug:

Aww Liz I'm so sorry your gorgeous girls are poorly puppies. I hope they feel more comfortable soon.

I've just been doing some research on the t'internet. It says 2to14 days incubation and keep infected dogs isolated 7 days after symptoms disappear. It also recommends any dogs having been in contact with an infected dog have the vaccination and stay away from any groups for 7 days after that to enable the vaccine to take effect

The other interesting thing it said was a dog can carry it without showing symptoms. I'm not sure how accurate this info is but to be on the safe side we'll get ours vaccinated. I'm more concerned how it would affect Safi than anything and we were planning on getting them the vaccination in a few months with a view to putting them in kennels later in the year anyway

liz ...ive just thought i have a medical book off some friends ..i will have a look for you ...x

thanks Irene any advice gratefully received :)

I have a family friend who worked at a vets and has a best friend who is a vet I shall see what they have to say

Thanks Chrissy :) hope your two are fine as I know how hard you've worked to sort out Kia's tum ...