WARNING Kennel Cough NORTHWEST :(

The other interesting thing it said was a dog can carry it without showing symptoms. I'm not sure how accurate this info is but to be on the safe side we'll get ours vaccinated. I'm more concerned how it would affect Safi than anything and we were planning on getting them the vaccination in a few months with a view to putting them in kennels later in the year anyway

Know your concerns but hopefully they will be ok... Nick has taken Storm today for her vaccine so deffo I would say to get Safi vaccinated as her immune system will be low anyway... will keep in touch and let you know how everyone is doing

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Liz, sorry to hear your three have kennel cough, as irene stated that is pretty much what to do, here is a little read on it. All the best and sorry your not going to Camp.

Husky Lovers in Vermont[ATTACH=full]42672[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]42673[/ATTACH]

Thank you and an interesting read... vet said Freya didn't have a temperature and nothing was on her lungs so she should make a quick and speedy recovery :) its the keeping still that's the hard bit...

Thank you and an interesting read... vet said Freya didn't have a temperature and nothing was on her lungs so she should make a quick and speedy recovery :) its the keeping still that's the hard bit...

Oh, you don't have the new "hybrid" Siberian. The low key and calm with mild energy?:rofl::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

Last year, just before Iowa camp, I had Ryn vaccinated for this as with all the huskies coming from all over the place, I just wanted to be safe.

I know many don't approve of 'unneccesary vacinations, but I felt more comfortable being proactive rather than reactive..

Hi Guys looks like we won't be coming to Husky Camp :( Freya has just been diagnosed with kennel cough yesterday and Brookes come down with it as well today. :(

It's not a nice disease and Freya has it worse. Started with a tickly cough on Sunday and then Sunday night the phlegm started. Monday led to green phlegm so off to the vets with her... they diagnosed kennel cough and prescriped Ronaxan for 5 days... Brooke started with a slight cough today so phoned the vets and he has now prescribed the same for Brooke and Indi even though Indi has no signs yet :(

Rest for a week and then gentle exercise for the next week :( going to kill me.. as means no more walks with our friends for a while... does anyone know how long they are infectious for??? and how long they should be in isolation from other dogs?? Husky camp is only less than two weeks away and wouldn't want to pass this on to any other dogs .. Freya's cough today has been dry although it is still very hacking and sounds very dry....

Not sure where she picked it up from had been to Formby last weekend and it takes 5 to 7 days to come out so could have been here or when we went to Croxteth Park ?? but could have been anywhere...

Keep your eyes on your furbabies and if necessary don't hesitate to seek vets advice as not nice... There are some natural treatments you can use and if anyone has any suggestions on how to treat I'd be very grateful...

So sorry for you and the huskies, hope they're better very soon:cry1:

oooh liz i hate that you wont be at camp

I know it's not fair :( but got to think of the dogs and wouldn't want to be responsible for spreading it.. so will do all i can to keep it contained and in our house.. Dogs won't like it but hey ho thats how things have to be :(:cry1::cry1:

Oh no, I hope your girls get well soon!

I vaccinated Suka against kennel cough last year cause I volunteered at the humane society where dogs DO sometimes get it.

Oh, you don't have the new "hybrid" Siberian. The low key and calm with mild energy?:rofl::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

Does such a husky exist :lolman:

Haha - I must be lucky and have one of the unique ones, then, cause's Suka so laid back he'd rather sleep all day then walk!

Oh no, I hope your girls get well soon!

I vaccinated Suka against kennel cough last year cause I volunteered at the humane society where dogs DO sometimes get it.

Haha - I must be lucky and have one of the unique ones, then, cause's Suka so laid back he'd rather sleep all day then walk!

Cherish that, there aren't that many of those types out there.:huskyfall:

Ooo I read cats an even budgies can get it (who'da thowt) but never thought humans could. How bizarre!

Eeeee there's nowt as queer as folk lol

Sorry Liz, I know it's no laughing matter but I do find the human/dog thing odd :/

Ooo I read cats an even budgies can get it (who'da thowt) but never thought humans could. How bizarre!

Eeeee there's nowt as queer as folk lol

Sorry Liz, I know it's no laughing matter but I do find the human/dog thing odd :/

You would be very surprised the dog and human have in common when it comes to diseases, most of their treatments are the same as human treatments except their dosages are in smaller amounts.

The Thyroid Med. that Kayak is now on is the exact same thing humans take. Our Dakota who what Diabetic, his insulin is the same for people.

Husky Lovers in Vermont.

You would be very surprised the dog and human have in common when it comes to diseases, most of their treatments are the same as human treatments except their dosages are in smaller amounts.

The Thyroid Med. that Kayak is now on is the exact same thing humans take. Our Dakota who what Diabetic, his insulin is the same for people.

Husky Lovers in Vermont.

Yup, think I mentioned before Saf is on omeprazole. Human drug

Sky has had it too since the weekend. No phlegm just just the wrenching cough which has almost gone now and only shows when she talks or plays with the others. I don't think its fair to take the chance with everyone elses dogs at camp or the local meets, so it looks like our weeks camp is off and no group walks too for a while. The other two dogs are not showing any signs but as you know they could still carry it from Sky. What a bummer:(