Well, what is she?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more vote for australian cattle dog - she looks pretty well full-blooded to me. I don't think there's any husky in that dog at all... The markings are pretty typical of cattle dog breeding - I think they guessed husky on account of the blue eyes and the contrast between white and black in the coat - cattle dogs usually (but not always) tend toward a blue merle in the lighter areas.

ETA - for the record, I looooooooove cattle dogs! And with you living out in the country she'd probably be the type of dog well-suited to your lifestyle! They tend not to stray too far from their home, are highly trainable and eager to please. If properly socialized they can get along well with other dogs, but can also be dog-aggressive, especially on their home turf - in this country they are invaluable for keeping coyotes at bay; a pack in our area was to the point of baiting a nearby great Pyrenees, but no way they'd tangle with our blue heeler. She went after them with death in her eyes and they saw it! They are also very much a one-person dog - even in a family they will pick on person above the rest.

Okay, you had me go look. I think Blue Healer when someone say Australian Cattle dog (( well, different people have different names in different places ... )) LaKiva seems to have a heavier coat than I'd ever have put with a Healer.

Quoting from a petfinder info area Australian cattle dogs are "Smart, hardy, independent, stubborn, tenacious, energetic and untiring," ... now wait, do I really need another dog who's independent and stubborn!?!?!

Thanks for your comments, all of you //al

Well Al, the third pic really tells me ACD. Look at the stance, the build, the set on the ears-everything. That dog has Australian Cattle Dog in it-very interesting mix with two highly intelligent breeds. Here is pics for you to compare, and there's even a Sibe to compare with-although he was only 3 months old. This is our Red Heeler (ACD) Sammy post-9324-1384801694446_thumb.jpg You're 100% correct Al when calling them Blue/Red Heeler-Australian Cattle Dog is their "Official" name.

post-3533-13586020997281_thumb.jpg

post-3533-13586020997742_thumb.jpg

post-3533-13586020998176_thumb.jpg

post-3533-13586020998637_thumb.jpg

One more vote for australian cattle dog - she looks pretty well full-blooded to me. I don't think there's any husky in that dog at all... The markings are pretty typical of cattle dog breeding - I think they guessed husky on account of the blue eyes and the contrast between white and black in the coat - cattle dogs usually (but not always) tend toward a blue merle in the lighter areas.

ETA - for the record, I looooooooove cattle dogs! And with you living out in the country she'd probably be the type of dog well-suited to your lifestyle! They tend not to stray too far from their home, are highly trainable and eager to please. If properly socialized they can get along well with other dogs, but can also be dog-aggressive, especially on their home turf - in this country they are invaluable for keeping coyotes at bay; a pack in our area was to the point of baiting a nearby great Pyrenees, but no way they'd tangle with our blue heeler. She went after them with death in her eyes and they saw it! They are also very much a one-person dog - even in a family they will pick on person above the rest.

Very true, Ravenwolf, I've had Heelers for 23 years and that sums them up. They are a one-owner dog, but given a second chance, they will take to the new owner with patience and time, we adopted the Heeler pictured above named Samhain Hiemdal about 6 years ago and he was approx. 3-5 yrs old at the time. They are a very loyal, and protective breed and stubborn, intelligent and stay home-not wanderers. Our Husky keeps our Heeler VERY busy!

Very true, Ravenwolf, I've had Heelers for 23 years and that sums them up. They are a one-owner dog, but given a second chance, they will take to the new owner with patience and time, we adopted the Heeler pictured above named Samhain Hiemdal about 6 years ago and he was approx. 3-5 yrs old at the time. They are a very loyal, and protective breed and stubborn, intelligent and stay home-not wanderers. Our Husky keeps our Heeler VERY busy!

While I've known many of them (they're very popular both as farm dogs and working ranch dogs in these parts) I've only had one - a blue heeler/collie cross. She was given to us when her family toured the US and Mexico for a year, then moved to town upon their return and thought it would be cruel to take her back to live in town, so we kept her. I had no use for her and didn't even like her much when she first came, and staying with us only a year I wasn't interested in bonding. It took her a long time to settle in with our family, but to make a long story short I became her one person, and she became that one special dog. My sister now owns one, and they are just incredible dogs!

I agree, beautiful dog, Al! I also agree with your comment, Ravenwolf-they really devote themselves to you! I had one for almost 16 years before he passed away, and the Guiness book of world record for oldest dog is a Heeler at 29 yrs and some months old and was a working dog for 20 or 22 yrs. If you want to know how they are, type in Skidboot in youtube and also a vid titled "Blue Heeler" with country music in the backround of a song by the same name, Al. Let us know what you decide

It's not really up to me, it's up to the people at Grand Companions. I've been looking at some of the animals locally (( and up to about 200 miles is "local" to me, out here )) and the two who have attracted my notice are a black lab up in Alpine and LaKiva. I've had labs before and enjoy them but my history with labs is in city and very much a solo companion dog. I'm looking for a friend who isn't quite as clingy as most labs in my experience seem to be. Also had one later who was quite probably a cross between a lab and a shepherd - now there was a dog! Made it to 14 years with me!

A lady I worked with over in Houston had heelers, reds and blues, but they tended to be more a solid(ish) colour than LaKiva is so I didn't see that till it was mentioned. Hers were excellent watch dogs and in time I was able to approach them without feeling like I was going to get gnawed on - but it took many trips before they were willing to "accept" (hah!) my being around.

Just got off the phone with Grand Companions and I'll take a trip up there tomorrow and will be bringing her back with - pending an utter disaster.

I want to say the poor dog - but she's 7, lived with the same couple since she was a puppy, her "momma" died a few months ago and "daddy" just can't take care of her (( obviously an older couple )). Laura (Grand Companions) says that she a great dog, just anxious - well, if I were her *I* would be too, taken from a good home for 7 years into a shelter, yeh, I'd probably be doing more than pacing. One more adjustment for her and she can relax.

She agrees that LaKiva's not a Husky, but that's what the previous owner tagged her with so GC sorta had to go with that. She also agrees with y'all that she looks like an ACD but with some odd markings.

So, I'll drop a note tomorrow and let you all know how things work out. From the description, I can't picture not taking to her - pretty much on sight, but we'll have to see how she reacts since I'm going to have scent from Avalanche all over me ( nope, he's not going; two hours plus with a strange dog in the back of my jeep is okay, have two playing / fighting in the back .... nope! )

Well, that just all got changed, they have a gentleman who'll bring her down to me tomorrow ... saves me a ton of gas money!! And we can see how the two dogs are going to get along quickly.

Just got off the phone with Grand Companions and I'll take a trip up there tomorrow and will be bringing her back with - pending an utter disaster.

I want to say the poor dog - but she's 7, lived with the same couple since she was a puppy, her "momma" died a few months ago and "daddy" just can't take care of her (( obviously an older couple )). Laura (Grand Companions) says that she a great dog, just anxious - well, if I were her *I* would be too, taken from a good home for 7 years into a shelter, yeh, I'd probably be doing more than pacing. One more adjustment for her and she can relax.

She agrees that LaKiva's not a Husky, but that's what the previous owner tagged her with so GC sorta had to go with that. She also agrees with y'all that she looks like an ACD but with some odd markings.

So, I'll drop a note tomorrow and let you all know how things work out. From the description, I can't picture not taking to her - pretty much on sight, but we'll have to see how she reacts since I'm going to have scent from Avalanche all over me ( nope, he's not going; two hours plus with a strange dog in the back of my jeep is okay, have two playing / fighting in the back .... nope! )

Well, that just all got changed, they have a gentleman who'll bring her down to me tomorrow ... saves me a ton of gas money!! And we can see how the two dogs are going to get along quickly.

:up:Thats great Al, I hope it works out well! Thats very kind of you, and now that 7 yr old dog will have another good home to go to instead of going from a good home to the pound :up: Wish you well that it works out! :wave1:

Update: Laura just called to say that LaKiva seems to know something's going on that involves her << don't they always!??! >> Seems as if she's excited and wants to play - hope she still wants to play when Avalanche says "Hi!"

I thought Charles was going to come down this morning, but he delayed his trip til shortly after noon - meaning he'll get here about 20:00 UTC (( figure that should confuse someone! ))

I think I'm going to have some major problems here ... Avalanche wants to play and LaKiva is saying "Knock it off!!" Don;t think it's going to be too long before she "wears the pants in the family!!"

She a real charmer, I put Avalanche out on his leach and LaKiva came over for some attention and is now crashed ... seriously think she's going to be a good fit.

post-322-0-63091900-1385058703.jpg

And with he in hand, nope, there ain't no Husky there! She's not even heavy for an ACD (who always look chunky to me). Now to see how she travels, I have to run into town for human food and water ....

post-5355-1358602140288_thumb.jpg

I think I'm going to have some major problems here ... Avalanche wants to play and LaKiva is saying "Knock it off!!" Don;t think it's going to be too long before she "wears the pants in the family!!"

She a real charmer, I put Avalanche out on his leach and LaKiva came over for some attention and is now crashed ... seriously think she's going to be a good fit.

And with he in hand, nope, there ain't no Husky there! She's not even heavy for an ACD (who always look chunky to me). Now to see how she travels, I have to run into town for human food and water ....

Yay! Very happy for you. :-D