Well, what is she?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back from town, she waited in the Jeep - announcing her presence to everyone who got near the jeep (( that'll work! )) but didn't try to get out while I was in the store.

Now, of course Avalanche was just a bit PO's when I left him home; want to make sure they're going to handle being together before I have both of them in the back end of the Jeep - I do not need to be trying to drive in a dog fight!!

She arrived about 4 hours ago and here's what I see nowpost-9250-0-13163900-1385136992_thumb.jp

'course when I flashed the shutter I got a slightly different view ....

post-9358-0-67032500-1385146146.jpg

Now this is the dog who was nervous and pacing at the shelter .... seems to be saying "What? I'm not worried!"

I'm still hoping that some vet somewhere will run Misty's chip and I can get her back, but LaKiva'll do as a companion for the two of us till I do!

Now I'll stop boring y'all with non-Sibe stuff .....

post-5355-13586021416415_thumb.jpg

post-5355-13586021418477_thumb.jpg

Back from town, she waited in the Jeep - announcing her presence to everyone who got near the jeep (( that'll work! )) but didn't try to get out while I was in the store.

Now, of course Avalanche was just a bit PO's when I left him home; want to make sure they're going to handle being together before I have both of them in the back end of the Jeep - I do not need to be trying to drive in a dog fight!!

She arrived about 4 hours ago and here's what I see now[ATTACH=full]39696[/ATTACH]

'course when I flashed the shutter I got a slightly different view ....

[ATTACH=full]39697[/ATTACH]

Now this is the dog who was nervous and pacing at the shelter .... seems to be saying "What? I'm not worried!"

I'm still hoping that some vet somewhere will run Misty's chip and I can get her back, but LaKiva'll do as a companion for the two of us till I do!

Now I'll stop boring y'all with non-Sibe stuff .....

:clap::wave1:So happy for you and your pack, Al-and still hoping they find Misty also. Its exciting, not boring-we'd love to hear how things progress-pics always, of course :D

Just saw this post - Congratulations AL - So glad for you. I'm sure they'll work things out in time.

I also thought maybe x with Border collie. As a matter of fact, if you flop them ears down, that would be all you see.

Wait -- Let me post a pic-

And I too am waiting for the post about the call from the Vet.

post-143-0-43817500-1385147170_thumb.jpg

post-2812-13586021420487_thumb.jpg

wow she is very beautiful. Congrats Al! And tbh I'm voting for Australian Shepherd or Collie... Just because those two breeds popped up to my head x) glad Avalanche had a companion :) again, congratulations!! :D

I'll make one reply here to everyone, thanks for all the good wishes! Avalanche is the one who really needs them, he's feeling kinda left out ... 'course if he'd respond the way LaKiva does, I'd let him off the leash too ....she wasn't sure about the whistle at first, I had to call her by name, but she picked up on the whistle real quick! (( whistling carries a lot further here in the desert than calling does! but she doesn't go very far anyway [Velcro dog!] ))

Someone give me some ideas here. LaKiva will play bow but I haven't figured out how she wants to play. She won't fetch, no tug of war, nothing that involves chasing anything, whether to bring it back or not (( which I find really odd! She tried to herd the neighbors dogs ... but not play! )) She's more than willing to play fight with me ( but not with Avalanche! ) but I'm not inclined to tolerate that yet. She wants nothing! to do with Avalanche, she'll tolerate him but there's no response to Avalanches wanting to play ( except a growl or two )

I know it's still early ( just a little over three days ) and their tolerance level for each other is going up. But I'm feeling like I'm in the same room with two cousins who, emphatically, don't like each other <period!>.

I'll make one reply here to everyone, thanks for all the good wishes! Avalanche is the one who really needs them, he's feeling kinda left out ... 'course if he'd respond the way LaKiva does, I'd let him off the leash too ....she wasn't sure about the whistle at first, I had to call her by name, but she picked up on the whistle real quick! (( whistling carries a lot further here in the desert than calling does! but she doesn't go very far anyway [Velcro dog!] ))

Someone give me some ideas here. LaKiva will play bow but I haven't figured out how she wants to play. She won't fetch, no tug of war, nothing that involves chasing anything, whether to bring it back or not (( which I find really odd! She tried to herd the neighbors dogs ... but not play! )) She's more than willing to play fight with me ( but not with Avalanche! ) but I'm not inclined to tolerate that yet. She wants nothing! to do with Avalanche, she'll tolerate him but there's no response to Avalanches wanting to play ( except a growl or two )

I know it's still early ( just a little over three days ) and their tolerance level for each other is going up. But I'm feeling like I'm in the same room with two cousins who, emphatically, don't like each other <period!>.

well that's a Velcro dog for you! x) Honestly, LaKiva sounds pretty much like my little boy Diamond .___. he would play bow, but no fetch, no tug of war no chasing no nothing! Play fight? He's always ready to take my challenge but he's not as playful as I expected him to be =\ and after spending one and a half year with this fluffy boy he hasn't changed one bit O_O judging from this.. I doubt LaKiva would change her personality either .__. and IMO your two does not dislike one another. If they do they'd be fighting not tolerating each other. Maybe give them a little bit more time? Or maybe you can increase the bond between them by walking them together--really together. I mean both of them on-leash (both of them heeling beside you) :) guess that'd let them know that they belong to one same pack and one same majestic master: Al Jones :P

Spending mental exercise time together is also a good option btw. There must be tricks/commands that you want to teach LaKiva. If these tricks were already mastered by Avalanche let him teach his big sister. Dogs are generally visual learners aren't they they're good at watching and learning :D for example if you want to teach her the word "down", make Avalanche lie down first (make sure she's watching) and then show her the way to lie down. Someone in the forum--I forgot who--teaches her husky that way and it really increased the bond between her husky and her other dog who were being a role model!

I think they really do just need some time. Those kind of shepherds are very much people dogs first, so she may always be far more interested in you than any other dog. She'll just take a while to warm to him, but it will come. So long as you don't tolerate any aggression between the two at the beginning stage, it should never develop into a negative relationship, so I don't think you have to worry about that!

If she's anything like the aussie cattle dogs I've known, her play will be more centered around play-fighting than fetch or chase. They're bred to pursue and push, but not chase. They have a bit more drive than collies in that they should nip and bite when the cattle are ornery or unwilling to move, so their play is more centered around honing those skills. You try to grab her (cow kicking) and she will evade and she will love it! When it's her turn she will nips at your hands or legs if you let her. As long as it's gentle play and she knows when enough is enough it's all good!