New Phone - And just thinkin LOL

Marc

Got a new phone the other day (Galaxy S2) and was just thinkin to myself its funny the difference between tech minded people and non-tech peeps.

When Sarah gets a new phone, here are her thought processes

• looks for is games.

• Look to see what other cool things is has on her phone.

• Input Contacts

• Find Facebook

Me? Well I just got mine and here are my thought processes:

• What version of Android is it on. I know its Gingerbread, but I mean exactly what revision.

• What apps can I download, and I need to get rid of all the preinstalled rubbish

• Hmmmm ... Can I hack it

• Download Eclipse studio with the Android Development kit

• Start looking for android development tutorials

• See what I can break

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you mean has he broke it yet?

well if rooted wrong it will brick the phone i.e broken lol

but no when you root a phone it gives you permissions to do things that you can do un-rooted, like removed unwanted apps (bloatware) and use others apps that you previously couldnt....

you can install a custom ROM that can increase battery life ect, so you can do lots of things :D

well if rooted wrong it will brick the phone i.e broken lol

but no when you root a phone it gives you permissions to do things that you can do un-rooted, like removed unwanted apps (bloatware) and use others apps that you previously couldnt....

you can install a custom ROM that can increase battery life ect, so you can do lots of things :D

Nah, just put it in dev mode and remove in code, its easier LOL ...

Marc have you rooted it yet? lol

and. . . .

the Australians on the forum are gonna be shocked at THAT thought. :jawdrop:

When I got my HTC Desire HD.

First thing. Find out which version of Android it's ACTUALLY running.

Install Kindle.

Drag all my books into a kindle directory.

Breathe a deep sigh of relief, because now I'm good for reading until I die.

Get Gmail installed.

Try to uninstall most of the preinstalled crap that comes with the phone.

go online on my PC and download about 10gig of apps.

99.9% of which I'll never install.

It is at that time when my upgrade is now due and i have always been a HTC nerd for a long time, but the more popular it became, the less appealing they have become to me... But thats brought on a new problem.... The best Android phone out there at the moment is the Samsung Galaxy S2 and because i have the Galaxy 10.1 tab it is the most natural selection... BUT the fact most people i know have an S2 kinda puts me off it a little...

I look for what version Gingerbread it is running..

Can i root it...

Memory Size...

Battery Life...

Camera (I always check the camera, yet i hardly take any pictures haha)

It is at that time when my upgrade is now due and i have always been a HTC nerd for a long time, but the more popular it became, the less appealing they have become to me... But thats brought on a new problem.... The best Android phone out there at the moment is the Samsung Galaxy S2 and because i have the Galaxy 10.1 tab it is the most natural selection... BUT the fact most people i know have an S2 kinda puts me off it a little...

I look for what version Gingerbread it is running..

Can i root it...

Memory Size...

Battery Life...

Camera (I always check the camera, yet i hardly take any pictures haha)

if you dont want the S2, have you looked at the Galaxy Nexus? is the newest android phone out with Android 4.0 (ice cream sandwich) running on it....

I was talking to my friend at Carphone Warehouse and e was suggesting the S2 but rooting it with the Nexus software...

Its always a dilema when you upgrade though as you know something better will always come out shortly after you upgrade haha

I was talking to my friend at Carphone Warehouse and e was suggesting the S2 but rooting it with the Nexus software...

Its always a dilema when you upgrade though as you know something better will always come out shortly after you upgrade haha

Nexus is not a better phone though. It has a better OS, but nothing that wont be out not long afterwards on the S2 anyways which is why I went for the S2 in the first place.

• Aside from that s2 is about the biggest phone your ever gonna want, however is very light.

• Nexus is even bigger than the s2, so do you really want something thats possibly too big? Actual display on nexus is higher res, however what people dont see through is the reason it is that resolution in the first place is because it has to be as the screen is so big.

• Galaxy s2 has a quad core graphics processor however the nexus doesnt. Something that on these graphical phones nowadays will make a big difference in speed.

• S2 has an 8mp camera with nexus only having a 5mp

• Nexux has a very slightly more powerfull battery, however with the size of the screen you can be sure it wont last any longer than the s2, if not need charging more.

• OS - yeah yeah nexus has ice cream sandwich. You really think s2 wont have it within a couple of month of it being out?

• Storage - Both have 32bg onboard, however s2 also has an sdhc slot. With the nexus your stuck to that 32gb alone

And thats why I got the S2 :)

yeh i agree, S2 is the better phone.... just a newer OS on the nexus, but to be honest i dont think the s2 even needs the upgrade it work perfectly.

yeh i could put ice cream sandwich on it as i have rooted mine but there is no point, its just hassle lol