Coming into season - what age?

Hiya,

Eika came into season over the weekend (i don't know how you guys cope who have got intact females...i can't stand the blood!) Is this too early? I think it's fine as i thought it was between 6 months and a year (she is 6 1/2 months) but everyone who i have said it to is like, oo that's a bit early!

She is moping around...and being annoying lol!

we asked our vet about having Myshka done, she is 3.5yrs now. Her 1st season was at 6 months & was quite heavy then we never noticed her others except that she was quite whingy! She has just finished another "heavy" one & the vet reckoned midway between, so yeah, in about 3 months time.

As everyone else has said around the 6 month mark is fine for the first season. My sisters doberman had her first season at around 7 months I think (cant remember exactly).

As for the neuturing Im not sure if you have to wait so long after a season or not. Only ever had male dogs so seasons aint something we have to worry about lol

isha had her first season at 5 months and has been every 6 months nearly to the day ever since, shes nearly 10 now and i only know shes having one cos i see her cleaning herself, no blood on floor ever, shes very clean so its just never been an issue for me to get her neutered, she had an injury about 6 months ago though and i couldnt afford the vet bill that week so i rang the local animal hospital and they agreed to treat her at a reduced price as long as i agreed to have her neutered in the next 6 months, wtf shes nearly 10 and its a big op, needless to say i didnt take her there in the end, took her to my own vet and bathed her wound myself 3 times a day with salt water and she healed fine in no time.

Hiya,

Eika came into season over the weekend (i don't know how you guys cope who have got intact females...i can't stand the blood!) Is this too early? I think it's fine as i thought it was between 6 months and a year (she is 6 1/2 months) but everyone who i have said it to is like, oo that's a bit early!

She is moping around...and being annoying lol!

Keisha was a year and a half before she came into season the first time. A few days before she started having seizures so we decided to wait until the second time before we got her spayed. The vet I took her to diagnosed her with epilepsy, but I read whatever I could about seizures in dogs and talked to my boyfriend's vet and we thought it had more to do with her hormones so we wanted to wait and make sure. We also didn't want to put her through the stress of the seizures and getting use to the medication and everything all at once.

She just came into season again two days ago. She's was pretty whiny and mopey the first day, and whiny yesterday but last night she seemed to be more comfortable. I was fearing the worst when we noticed she was bleeding this time because last time I was in a hotel with her and my guide dog and she was whiny and upset and would howl and just make a huge fuss. I spent so many nights doing laps around the parking lot with her in my pj's and coat in the snow at 4am trying to calm her down. I was so relieved when she was just whiny this time around, but I felt so bad when she howls such mournful howls. She's not even being loud, and I know she's a drama queen like most huskies, but I feel so bad for her. ( I know I'm playing right into her paws...)

i don't know if they do stop...someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Well she's still got the look of, i don't like this or understand what th hell is going on, but she is less whiney...however, she is not eating very well...is this just the hormones and she's feeling sorry for herself? She's on burns...and hopefully the wet food i've ordered for her (nature diet) arrives monday/tuesday....as i normally put this in with her kibbles so she eats it...! So that could be another reason why she's being fussy!

i don't know if they do stop...someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Well she's still got the look of, i don't like this or understand what th hell is going on, but she is less whiney...however, she is not eating very well...is this just the hormones and she's feeling sorry for herself? She's on burns...and hopefully the wet food i've ordered for her (nature diet) arrives monday/tuesday....as i normally put this in with her kibbles so she eats it...! So that could be another reason why she's being fussy!

I might be that she just isn't feeling well or a combination of both. When Keisha's in season the first day she don't want to eat anything but by the middle of the second day you can't seem to fill her up. She even whines for milkbones! I guess milkbones is like her version of a human eating a lot of chocolate at that time of month lol. Something I've found that works with Keisha is try feeding her little its throughout the day when she don't want to eat. A handful of food doesn't seem like as big of a deal to her as having to eat a whole bowl full.

thanks kimberly...well after worrying about her not eating, she wolfed her dinner down last night (2 bowlfuls in the end!) - i thought as she's eating, give her some more!! she is on the skinny side i think anyway, so am trying to fatten her up, she's never been a great eater.