Pretty Sad Day

Today I took my Yellow Lab Molly to the vet to get this bump on her belly checked on... well it turns out she has cancer :( I'm highly upset because I'm not sure what to do. I guess it has something to do with her mammory glands because she wasn't spayed. Just needed to vent a little...

Sofia and Molly love eachother! They play constantly. Everytime another dog tries and plays with Molly, Sofia get's really jealous. It's really cute! I've grown really attached to Sofia over the last few weeks! She's free of all her fleas and worms and is just one healthy little husky. Love her so much:)

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I took my Yellow Lab Molly to the vet to get this bump on her belly checked on... well it turns out she has cancer :( I'm highly upset because I'm not sure what to do. I guess it has something to do with her mammory glands because she wasn't spayed. Just needed to vent a little...

Sofia and Molly love eachother! They play constantly. Everytime another dog tries and plays with Molly, Sofia get's really jealous. It's really cute! I've grown really attached to Sofia over the last few weeks! She's free of all her fleas and worms and is just one healthy little husky. Love her so much:)

Hope everyone is doing well!

post-2224-0-78712700-1363439123_thumb.jp

post-6038-13585996377939_thumb.jpg

Thank You...They said surgery.. It's 1200$ tho. I'm not sure if you can do payments or anything?? The weird thing is you wouldn't even know she had cancer! She's normal. Always playing and everything so I don't understand. The vet just looked at it and was like oh yep that's cancer. So it's just really frustrating!

If that was the vets reaction, I'd go looking for a second opinion and probably another vet. Just because we're dealing with dogs, not people here is no reason to have a bedside manner that's that bad!!

Was he so busy that he couldn't take the time to discuss prognosis ( the way to expect the disease to run its course if left unchecked ); didn't he discuss at all any possibility of treatment or treatment plans - just "Yep, that's cancer and surgery to remove it will be $1200! Call me when you're ready!"

Okay, I'm putting words into his mouth, and you're probably not reacting to well - I wouldn't be ... talk to us a little more, eh??

If he's right, I'm really sorry. I hope there's some way that you can manage to care for her pre and post op ....

:grouphug: my friend had to put down their 6yr RottxShep earlier this year due to cancer; and I've know the little guys since he was 6wks old. I agree with Al I'd seek another opinion if that's literally all he said. There should've been alot more said as far as test results or like a biopsy, treatment, life expectancy, type of cancer and such. Please feel free to vent all you want dear we're all here to help you through it regardless if we've been through it or not.

Yeah that's what I plan on doing! Taking her into another vet just to see what they say... Yes exactly what she said was its cancer, needs to be removed, ill get you a estimate. Comes out with a 1200$ and says you can make the biopsy appointment out there. Im like WHAT. I asked if there was anything else! Like take a sample or anything just to make sure and she was not letting me get any other answer besides "she needs surgery." Then she proceeded to tell me that "i should be nervous." I just don't understand and it's really bothering me. I waited in that Vet Clinic for almost 3 hours. It was seriously the worst vet experience i've ever been in. The vet was not her original vet but because they couldnt do a fecal test on base here I took her there... I'm just so upset and I thought maybe she would give me a little bit more than "It's cancer pay this money and get it removed, be worried" That put a lot of stress on me.

I would talk to another vet. The prognosis is usually pretty good, at least as long as cancer has not metastasized to the dog's organs. I've had several bitches that have had mammary tumors (which are cancers) removed, and have lived well for years afterwards. See if you can find another vet who will do the surgery. The price may have been that high because they planned to remove the entire mammary chain - all the teats from that side. If that's the case, and the only tumor to be found was at one end or the other, it might be possible to remove only the affected gland and the nearest in the chain. How big is the mass? If it's quite small, I would worry less than if it's much larger (the size of a bb, as opposed to a marble, for example).

Awww that's so sad! :( Molly was our family dog before she moved to Virginia with me. She's been in my life for almost 8 years so I'm just really scared :( Thank you guys so much for listening!

I should've elaborated didn't mean to frighten you more by the time it was caught, there were no tumors outside the body, it had spread through alot of his internal organs. It was a hidden thing no one even noticed until an accident that fracture his leg and they saw it in the xrays :( It definitely sounds like you should get another opinion though glad your going to look into it :) LOL I knew someone would come along with some experience to help quell your worries a bit :)

Yeah that's what I plan on doing! Taking her into another vet just to see what they say... Yes exactly what she said was its cancer, needs to be removed, ill get you a estimate. Comes out with a 1200$ and says you can make the biopsy appointment out there. Im like WHAT. I asked if there was anything else! Like take a sample or anything just to make sure and she was not letting me get any other answer besides "she needs surgery." Then she proceeded to tell me that "i should be nervous." I just don't understand and it's really bothering me. I waited in that Vet Clinic for almost 3 hours. It was seriously the worst vet experience i've ever been in. The vet was not her original vet but because they couldnt do a fecal test on base here I took her there... I'm just so upset and I thought maybe she would give me a little bit more than "It's cancer pay this money and get it removed, be worried" That put a lot of stress on me.

So if they haven't performed a biopsy on the lump itself, then how can they give you an instant diagnosis of cancer?

I'd go get a second opinion if I were you.

Stacey xxx

I was just thinking the same , they will have to do a biopsy first to find out exactly what type of cancer it is, i lost my RC to cancer of the bowel/intestine and he had a biospy taken first and various blood tests, there are many forms of cancer , try to stay positive !! i know its hard and i would look at changing vets as you need things explained properly and in detail so you can make the best desicon for your dog , thoughts with you at this difficult time x

About 50% of mammary tumors in dogs are benign, and 50% are malignant, and they need to remove the tumor to be able to biopsy it in a laboratory. Here's some further (and very good!) information...

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1350&S=1

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1638&aid=460

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/SmallAnimalTopics/MammaryTumorsinCatsandDogs/

Thanks everyone!!!!!!! I looked into all of those links.. Very helpful thank you. I'm also going to take her in. Just to see what another vet says and if she absolutely needs the surgery and it is in fact cancer, I'll get it taken care of. Thanks everyone so much for the support!! Means a lot to me! :)