Little widdlers!

Hi all, Myself (Andy) and my partner (Becki) are new to the site. After mmeting a couple at St Helens show who reccomended this site very highly we thought we would join giving us the chance to pick a few brains while we are here.

We both work and leave our 2 ten month old huskys free in the house, every day we come home to a wee in the extenstion room. Before we trusted them in the house full they were kept in this room for training etc.

I would of thoguht that at 10 months they would be able to hold it (we are not sure which puppy is responsible) and they can hold cause they do every night so i am not sure why they are making a mess in this room - i was thinking that they mite be able to smell it?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Andy, Becky, Koda & Zikka, welcome to the site.

How many hours are we talking about here? Whilst you are out at work I mean.

Most dogs will reach a certain age and try their best to not urinate indoors, but some dogs just can't do that if they are left for prolonged periods.

Do you ensure that the dogs both go outside and wee before you go to work, I always have a routine where the dogs are left in the garden until I am just about ready to leave the house then I let them in. I rarely get accidents anymore and Kiana is only 5 months old.

Maybe one idea would be to use a deodorizing cleaning product, so that they will not smell where they have been before, or maybe you could let them spend a day in a different room where they haven't wee'd and see if that helps.

Don't forget, as with humans, some dogs just cannot hold themselves for the lengths of time we expect them to. This could also be a medical condition, but facing facts, how long would we be expected to hold ourselves for?

Night time and day time are two totally different scenarios, whilst sleeping the body shuts it's self down slightly, during the day as with humans dogs are more active and alert, so don't sleep as much, or most definitely not in the same way.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. We are at work for the full day (7:45 to aprox 17:15). Zikka (our little girl) is the one we think is doing it and since she is the boss Koda follows suit (we got her 1 month after koda which set him back). We dont think she is a full shilling for various reasons and we have thought that she might just be unable to hold it.

in leui of this we have been sorting out the garden so that it is gated and they have shelter etc. it is pretty much finished so they will be soon staying out side during our working hours. I just would of liked them house trained befor that.

we are also decorating that room where she wees and it is wooden floor so i think it has seeped through to the underlay. My partner is a teacher so we are going to rip the floor up and get completly rid of the smell (new floor boards / floor) then in the summer hols Bec can monitor her.

Hi Andy

9 1/2 hours is quite a long time to expect them to hold themselves on a regular basis anyway. I have left mine on occasion for that long, but not often. The problem may be that they are just getting into bad habits and as you are not there to oversee and check them they just do it.

Do they ever wee in the house whilst you are there? If not, i'd think it fair to say that they are 'house trained'.

Steve

cant really comment, the longest dief n taz r left alone is prob 2 hours lol, they go to bed at 9 pm , and get let out at 7 am , no acidents , but as said above nights r different to days , tori our pup, has the bladder the sze of a pea, i swear to god all she does is howl and pee, but she does go overnight with no accidents, so she can hold it lol shes just a troll oh yeah and welcome lol

Hello and welcome

As someone who also works, my puppy Eika (6 months) is left at home...and she does hold it. She is given a pee pad, but doesn't use it...if she has an accident it doesn't bother me, as she would need to go and it is a long time...and if she did oh well. Have you tried laying pee pads down? This would at least save your floor while you are out? You can pick them up when you get home...

Hope you find something that works for you.

Hi, welcome to the site :)

I can't really add much to what others have said above, just hope you can sort something out :)

Look forward to seeing you around and getting to know you and your sibes, can't wait to see some pics :D

Andy, Becki, :wave:, glad you found the forum, was nice to meet you at St Helens Festival, the pups are gorgeous! You must post lots of pics, these guys INSIST on it (especially Nix :P )

I found Myshka taught herself, so I suppose we were really lucky. Sqwidge's idea is good, try pee pads until you have resolved the issue, but you may have to wait til Becki is off & possibly monitor which pup is doing it & train them.

Good luck, hope you sort it soon, x

Hi Andy and Becki welcome to the pack :D

again there isnt much I could add to what everyone has already put. I spend most days at home at the moment and so they are never along for long but when they are left alone Marley and Bandit (my youngest 2) are both crated and Gizmo sleeps in the kitchen and I haven't come home to find wee's and poops everywhere apart from once when Gizmo had a rather upset stomach.

Feel free to ask any questions and hope you make many friends :D

how rude i do not insit on pics! (tho it wud b nice ;) lol ) i agree 9 1/2 hours is a very long time 2 b alone have u not got sum1 who cud walk them for u whilst at wrk or during ur lunch breaks come home and walk them or let them out back?

also welcome to the site :) hope u enjoy it here any other questions u have dont hesitate to ask :)

Thanks All for your comments,

We are looking to put them out side so this is a temp problem however before i do put them outside i want it to be safe - we are both really paranoid about them getting stolen.

i used to go home at dinner and there was a wee, i would clean this up and there would be a wee when i got home at night. due to work making employees redundant more and more is falling on to my shoulders and i cannot get away now for most dinners. This means i cant go home. Most of the time we walk them of a evening and go in the woods or on the field and turn them loose. These are not racing / working dogs just members of the family so we dont run them or anything.

I was always told that huskys were very hyped up and needed loads of walking how ever our two must be the expection, when we walk them on lead after about 40 minutes Zikka slows and eventually lies die on the path and protests! we have quite a big garden we let them out and they lie down and go to sleep after doing a wee in the same places pretty much every time.

I will post some pictures when i look through the thousands we have and find some good ones

Koda is Black & White with one blue eye and one brown, his sister (from the same litter) is Zikka who has two blue eyes and is THE BOSS!

Zikka has been spayed however we were thinking of studding Koda although not sure how the bi eyed affects this.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love your pics!!!!

The bi eye doesn't affect when studding, however you need to ensure he has been hip and eye scored to ensure he is in tip top health to sire a litter :)

They are both little chimps.... most nights after their walk they play together in the garden or chew there toys in the garden, however the other night the kids next door threw a boxing glove over by accident.

Koda picked it up (But didnt chew!) walk in the front room to show us two what he had then ran into the back waiting for the chase.... and chase we did all roud the place till we caught him. he then dropped it and gives us a look of "That was fun what can we do next"

Zikka tends to get every toy that Koda wants pile them up then lie them under her paws and put her head on them and i am sure she is saying "come and have a go if your hard enough"!