Little widdlers!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I asked my vet a while back when we thought about breeding Myshka, here in the Lancashire area vets that do hip & eye scoring are rare! I think 1 vet in Preston would do either hips or eyes & another in Wirral would do the other test. Maybe your vet knows someone nearer or does it him/herself. Not too sure what either test involves fully, someone on here will let us know, but I was told Myshka would be sedated for the hip x-ray and the results go to the kennel club(?) As I say, it was a while back when we scratched the surface of looking into it, so I can't remember too much!

What is hip and eye scored - does the vet do it? We were told that they have quite a few champs in their blood line and when we got the liniage from the KC some of the manes were in red is that them?

This link tells you about the eye testing and also if you click the link for the '31 appointed eye panellists' you should get a list of all places around the UK that can do the eye testing :)http://www.bva.co.uk/canine_health_schemes/Eye_Scheme.aspx

as for the hip score accoring to the next link you can simply get your dogs hips x-rayed and then send them off to the BVA (British Venterinary Assosiation) where they then get assessed by panellists and scored :)http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/313

Without causing yet another argumentative debate, but can everyone ask themselves what their reasons are for breeding from their sibes.

Please seek advice from people that know regarding genetics etc, there are so many sibes out there that are all bred from the same lines over and over again, whether this is strengthening the breed or not, i don't know, i'm no expert. I really think that pedigree dogs should only be bred to strengthen the lines of the breed and definitiely not for commercial gain, or just the fact that you think 'your' particular sibe is cute and would have cute babies. This is not directed at anyone in particular, just wanted to make people have a think about their reasons.

Oh, and as I said, I didn't want to start a huge thread debating this subject, we've covered it in numerous other threads and it always ended up getting heated. If you are 100% sure you are doing the right thing then i guess that is everyones choice.

Steve

Without causing yet another argumentative debate, but can everyone ask themselves what their reasons are for breeding from their sibes.

Please seek advice from people that know regarding genetics etc, there are so many sibes out there that are all bred from the same lines over and over again, whether this is strengthening the breed or not, i don't know, i'm no expert. I really think that pedigree dogs should only be bred to strengthen the lines of the breed and definitiely not for commercial gain, or just the fact that you think 'your' particular sibe is cute and would have cute babies. This is not directed at anyone in particular, just wanted to make people have a think about their reasons.

Oh, and as I said, I didn't want to start a huge thread debating this subject, we've covered it in numerous other threads and it always ended up getting heated. If you are 100% sure you are doing the right thing then i guess that is everyones choice.

Steve

not to worry steve, your simply putting your point accross :) I agree completely with your point and also wish to add that there are alot of people now going into breeding without considering the consequences involved like unwanted puppies/dogs in shelters, im not pointing the finger at anyone just saying there are people out there that dont look into everything. I dont have a problem with people breeding providing its for the right reasons like improving the breed lines and showing that they are improving the breed by entering shows and geeting good points and champions and not breeding because they want puppies or even worse for the money!

If you are going to stud your sibe then i would suggest that it is mostly for commercial gain unless you want pick of the litter.

I think that breeding bitches is different as you have the responsiblity / duty of care to ensure that the pups are going to good homes etc.

The studs owners should ensure that the pups are not just being bread for money and you are studding to a responsible breeder.

All of this is just my opinion and i am by no means an expert on sibes let alone breeding. Also i think it depends on the reasons for breeding regarding gentics or looks for instance from what i can gather talking to you all i would say over half race / work there sibes were as mine and the others are members of family which is a completly different role.