hi, newbie here

Hi everyone, ive just found this site and it looks great, i have two huskies, isha who will be 10 in december and keira who is 14 months, we only got keira 48 hours ago and shes part of the family already, ive had isha since she was 7 weeks old and shes not too pleased but not as bad as i thought she might be, they will be great friends in a few weeks im sure, hopefully i can get any advice i need here (please).:D thanks and cant wait to start reading through all the threads, i'll be up all night at this rate.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey debs welcome to the pack :)

your sibes sound gorgeous, cant wait to see some pics :D Feel free to ask any questions on here, we have many owners here all from different backgrounds and all at a different experience level so Im sure someone will have an answer for you :)

thanks, ive had isha so long and shes so old shes more like a "normal" dog now lol, keira is still so young and weve only had her 2 days so i will probably have loads of questions in the next few weeks, i thought isha would be the top dog as she is usually super dominant which is why she only has one friend and he is only 5 months lol, but she is letting keira go through doorways first and walk infront on walks eventhough isha is offlead and keira is onlead, i dont know if shes just given up or if shes lulling keira into a false sence of security and is about to jump her any minute, she has even let her eat out her food bowl.

they have had a few mini fights/spats but nothing serious, she growls quite a lot at keira just to warn her but is being suprisingly tolerant at the moment.

hi, here is a pic of them both, have only got a few cos only had keira 5 days and isha still wont let her get too close to her without snapping! grumpy old girl lol, isha looks like she only has one eye in this pic cos keira scratched it in a scuffle the day before i took the pic, it fine now though, has anyone got any ideas to get isha to accept keira a bit better? she is fine when keira leaves her alone but keira is young and keeps pouncing infront of her and rubbing her nose in ishas face and sticking her nose in ishas ears! i know she just wants to play but isha doesnt want to at the moment, any ideas to bring the harmony back to my home would be gratefully accepted, cheers, http://www.husky-owners.com/photopost/data/500/medium/keira_013.jpg

Hi Debs,

I think that time will be the best judge of how Isha will get on with Keira,and a key element will be getting them to share experiences - it really is early days,5 days into their time together !

A good,tiring walk together & hopefully the harmony that will bring them jointly,is a good starting point - is Isha still playful & does she enjoy rope-pulls & fetching balls etc ?

We were joined by Sky (2) last Xmas and Peiper (5) was a little anxious at first - Sky was a real ball of energy,and it disrupted Peiper's routine.Ther was the odd squabble,usually over food,as Peiper eats daintliy and Sky,at the time,was a prime example of "wolfing" every time a bowl was put in front of her.

Over the first few weeks Peiper became more comfortable - she began to tolerate Sky sniffing her snout/mouth,and Peiper stopped showing her teeth when she stayed in her personal space.

We swiched to the BARF diet ( lots of threads on here about BARF !) and that helped calm Sky down a lot - we also got into regular walking regimes etc that she had never had before.

The nice thing now,6 months on,is that Peiper's calm nature has rubbed off on Sky & Sky,if it makes sense,as reminded Peiper that she is a dog - she plays ball & with toys far more than she did a year ago.

So it really is a matter of time & patience in my experience - if I can help with anything else like this let me know,but do hang on in there,it will get better :)

Best Wishes,

Kevin & The Girls:bullseye:

Great reply Kevin, added to rep.

I think exercise is a key in the harmony, how many walks do they get? If they get bored easily you could try mental stimulation such a s a king / small training sessions?

thanks a lot, its great to know there is a site full of helpfull people willing to give advice about things they actually know a lot about, they have the run of the garden (80 foot) all day and about an hour walk in the evening, should i walk twice a day? isha doesnt really need two but im sure she wouldnt mind an extra one and would probably feel like eating a bit more with more excercise, she doesnt eat much at all when its hot bless her, lol, i hope they will be great mates in the next few months and then ishas attitude towards other dogs may improve too! thanks again, will keep you updated and im sure i will have loads more questions too.:confused:

i would say that its up2u with how much they get walked suppose it depends on how excitable they r n how much they need/it wud help calm them down? Bing n Blaze get 3/4 walks a day but thats just me lol i like 2 walk Bing this much as i think it will help keep him and his legs healthy (we go at his pace)

i dont think isha could handle any more than two walks a day, she is 9 going on 90 lol, i will definatly start doing morning and evening from tomorrow though, keira needs it i think and isha is off lead anyway so she can lie down in the field if she wants and just watch keira drag me round the outside for a few laps. ive just been throwing a ball into the kitchen for keira and she was bringing it back (isha has never been interested in fetching) and ish was sat up, ears pricked, looking very interested but just couldnt quite bring herself to join in, it looked very promising for a minute then she sighed and lied down and went to sleep lol, have been getting on better today though, fingers crossed it will continue.

i dont think isha could handle any more than two walks a day, she is 9 going on 90 lol, i will definatly start doing morning and evening from tomorrow though, keira needs it i think and isha is off lead anyway so she can lie down in the field if she wants and just watch keira drag me round the outside for a few laps. ive just been throwing a ball into the kitchen for keira and she was bringing it back (isha has never been interested in fetching) and ish was sat up, ears pricked, looking very interested but just couldnt quite bring herself to join in, it looked very promising for a minute then she sighed and lied down and went to sleep lol, have been getting on better today though, fingers crossed it will continue.

awww you're lucky - if i throw a ball for my two they look at me in disgust as if to say - you threw it YOU fetch it LOL

hi, just thought i would post an update, isha and keira have been together for 9 days today and were getting on much better, there walking very well together and lazing round together in the kitchen, eating together and sleeping together, isha wont play with keira and snaps at her for getting in her face but its early days, im really pleased with them so far, walking together helps a lot, they walk so close together sometimes they fall over eachother, i think isha forgets shes not that keen on keira when their walking and even sit right next to eachother at the kerbs like mates. thanks a lot for the advise its really worked.:D