OK, what is this? I'm getting worried.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant really see anything in the pic? does it hurt her and is it getting bigger?

It doesn't bother her when I rub it and it seems to go up and down in size.

Looks like an abcess, our collie ice had the same thing & had to have a tooth removed also but she was an old girl .I would get the vet to check it.

I was afraid of that. This is just great timing.....funds are very low at this time. :(

Looks like an abcess, Balto had one when Alaska bit him, he had to have it removed too, or at the mo' Alaska has a small bump on the top of her head >> i went to the vets and i told them she often bumps her head on doors when she quickly spins round, so i was told it was a small lump of dried blood that should go down within the week >> Which it has.

Abcess: If its soft >>it could very well go down

If its hard it is very urgent you get it removed asap

I go to a really reasonable vet, try and research a cheaper vet or a vet run by a charity......

good luck and hope she gets better :)

Abcesses go up & down , ice's was up one day i thought nothing much of it & it dissapeared in a day but then a few weeks later it came up again so i hasd to take her to vet to get it checked that was when the vet said she had a bad tooth too & had to have a little op.

in the uk if you go to certain pet chariites they will help towards the cost of vet care maybe speak to some of the local shelters and see if they have a scheme like this running or speak to them say you strugling and you can't afoord the care at the moment and they may treat her for u

i would just go round the shelters and ask

Last Thursday, she had an encounter with a chipmunk. The thing wound up in our woodpile and she was aggressively trying to get at it. She even knocked the pile down. I think she was jamming her nose between logs trying to get it. She never did, but the next day is when I noticed the swelling. I don't believe it's a tooth issue, at least I hope not. She is eating fine and does not appear to be in any pain while chewing up her daily Jumbone treat. (which is hard stuff...but she does it in two minutes) And, like I said, it does not hurt her when I touch or rub it. Thanks for the advice though. I think I will bite the bullet and call the vet just to be safe.

i would call, and see what they say...i know at my vets if we have a nurse appointment it is free (unless they have a treatment of somekind, but a check up is free) Ask your vet if the nurse can have a look to see if she thinks it is something serious that needs to be seen by the vet, or something that can be taken as see how it goes...explain that funds are low and you couldn't afford a vet check...

hope she's ok! x

Last Thursday, she had an encounter with a chipmunk. The thing wound up in our woodpile and she was aggressively trying to get at it. She even knocked the pile down. I think she was jamming her nose between logs trying to get it. She never did, but the next day is when I noticed the swelling..

It could also be a wasp or hornet sting. One of ours was stung in the face by a wasp last year and had a similar swelling for a while.

Mick

aw, poor thing. doesn't sound like it's causing much bother, but better to be safe than sorry. my thought, as you mentioned the woodpile, was a splinter or something becoming infected, but paws crossed it's summat & nowt that'll be sorted asap. x

aww fingers crossed for u let us no how u get on :)

Thanks. This morning I noticed it has opened up some. I rubbed it over with a paper towel in an attempt to get more out to no avail. (I didn't want to force it and it still does not appear to be painful) She is going to the vet today. I'll update with the results tonight.